getting a star in notification bar?!

• Replies:50
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Jan 1, 2012 10:18:39 PM

Hi... Same phone (rooted too); same annoying notifications; tried same detection apps; same results - well almost, Crackle (v2.5.3) was reported as being "infected" with Urban Airship. Also, in another forum someone reported that s/he suspected an app called "Bloat Free" (sp?) that did not show in scans, but notifications stopped when that app was deleted. I had that installed and deleted it. These notifications are all very annoying! Good luck...

Jan 1, 2012 10:19:12 PM

Hi... Same phone (rooted too); same annoying notifications; tried same detection apps; same results - well almost, Crackle (v2.5.3) was reported as being "infected" with Urban Airship. Also, in another forum someone reported that s/he suspected an app called "Bloat Free" (sp?) that did not show in scans, but notifications stopped when that app was deleted. I had that installed and deleted it. These notifications are all very annoying! Good luck...

Jan 1, 2012 10:19:20 PM

Jan 2, 2012 2:17:49 AM

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything until I was sure, but I think that BloatFreezer was the culprit for me, too. I deleted it and the ads stopped---and it was the only thing I deleted after the last ad I got. On Twitter the dev has denied using push ads, but I'm having a hard time believing that. Too bad, because it was a good app.

Edit: Allegedly---and I didn't get a notice about this myself, so it is hearsay---the dev was telling people that to get a code that would eliminate the ads they had to give a 5 star review. The app has been removed from the marketplace.

— modified on Jan 2, 2012 2:19:06 AM

Feb 1, 2012 8:01:07 PM

I was getting this too. I found out it was ExtDate Widget after installing Addons Detector. The existing add went away upon uninstall. Here's hoping I got that fixed!!!

Feb 15, 2012 3:30:56 AM

I was getting that notification also, it was because of Easy MP3 Download and I knew this because it started after I downloaded it. So I went and got the program: Addons detector and of course, it found it. Not only did it find that, but Michael's(craft store) program was one of the problems also. So I got rid of it. I kept the Easy MP3 Download because there are not better programs than this that I have found. It finds music that no other can find.. So, I guess I am stuck with the star... =(

Feb 15, 2012 3:19:27 PM

Jeannine I.
I was getting that notification also, it was because of Easy MP3 Download and I knew this because it started after I downloaded it. So I went and got the program: Addons detector and of course, it found it. Not only did it find that, but Michael's(craft store) program was one of the problems also. So I got rid of it. I kept the Easy MP3 Download because there are not better programs than this that I have found. It finds music that no other can find.. So, I guess I am stuck with the star... =(

Amazing how well Addons Detector works :-D I have the same issue with SuperStickman Golf. Love the game, so I have to deal with the star!

— modified on Feb 15, 2012 3:19:52 PM

Feb 15, 2012 8:14:58 PM

Andy N.
Hi,

this sounds like Air-Push-Advertising. Any App installed/updated before it happened the first time?

edit: there is an app called AirPush-Detector in the market to scan your apps.
http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.brosmike.airpushdetector/AirPush-Detector

Andy

Hi Andy,

I just want to say that I downloaded Air PushDetector and it quickly spotted the app that was pushing the advertising. I was able to remove that app and had no more problems.