Am i the only one here with an A500

• Replies:16
Master Chief
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 11:02:33 AM via App

This is the fastest and best looking TAB in this forum.

Where is everyone?

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jun 2, 2011, 1:31:34 PM via Website

How do you like it so far? Haven't seen too many people with it in the States, but it seems to be getting solid reviews.

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 3, 2011, 10:37:05 AM via Website

I am seriously considering buying one, especially at that price. How does it feel when you're holding it in your hands? Is it heavy? Is there anything you don't like or think could be better? Any favorite apps? How's the stock firmware?

Stan Jez
  • Forum posts: 51

Jul 11, 2011, 5:49:55 PM via App

I'm looking at purchasing a tablet soon. I've gone to a retailer and played around with the ones on show. So far I've seen the Iconia, Toshiba, and an Asus model. I'm yet to see the samsung.
Each tablet has pros and cons. I'm certain that I'll need to compromise my wish list of features so reading user reviews is a good way of coming to a decision. I don't want to spend my hard earned cash only to regret my purchase.

So...all you iconia users out there.. Tell us about your impressions.

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 3:42:26 PM by moderator

Carmen Marrero
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 13, 2011, 3:54:35 AM via App

My hubby wanted to get me an ipad2 (he has an ipad 1st edition) and i wanted an android tablet. Well after looking and compairing and test driving the tablets, we got the Acer IconiaA500. love it, love it, love it..... Very impressed by its form and performace. Even my hubby agrees its a great tablet. Already familiar with the andriod format and took to it quickly.
Still yet to figure how to access, move and backup to the sdcard. Will work on that this weekend. But if someone can give me help on this, would appreciate it. So far all who have seen and tried the tablet love it. Already five of my family and freinds have purchased it.... Recomend, i know you will love it to......

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 3:43:02 PM by moderator

Reggie Guevara
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 13, 2011, 9:27:26 AM via App

Can apps directly access usb drives on Honeycomb? Hi, I've tried Googling this, & I can't believe I can hardly find the lack of results given how this usage should be taken for granted. I've only tried this with the Acer Iconia A500 because it's the only tablet I have so far found with a full usb port & a mini usb port right on the tablet itself, & only file managers can access usb drives on Honeycomb 3.0, with media apps not being able to access usb drives. I prefer not having to use a dock or mini usb to full usb converter, but if I have to, I'll reconsider. Any thoughts, anyone? Reggie

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jul 13, 2011, 9:52:26 AM via Website

@Reggie.

I'm pretty sure you need to install the USB driver here

http://www.support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3851

After that, I see no reason why media apps wouldn't be able to access media files on the stick, which is what you're asking about right? Like playing movies from a stick on mVideo?

Carmen Marrero
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 15, 2011, 4:28:02 PM via App

Carmen Marrero
My hubby wanted to get me an ipad2 (he has an ipad 1st edition) and i wanted an android tablet. Well after looking and compairing and test driving the tablets, we got the Acer IconiaA500. love it, love it, love it..... Very impressed by its form and performace. Even my hubby agrees its a great tablet. Already familiar with the andriod format and took to it quickly.
Still yet to figure how to access, move and backup to the sdcard. Will work on that this weekend. But if someone can give me help on this, would appreciate it. So far all who have seen and tried the tablet love it. Already five of my family and freinds have purchased it.... Recomend, i know you will love it to......

Stan Jez

Jul 26, 2011, 3:42:20 PM via App

I just bought an Iconia A 501 64 gb plus 16 gb sd card. I'm very pleased with it. I especially like the usb port. I can access movies , images, pdf, music etc directly and if needed transfer the files directly to my sd card or main memory.
I also bought the official Acer cover, which works a treat, especially when I folds the front over too make a nifty stable stand. Also, the stand is great to use if I'm sitting on a lounge chair. I don't have to support it in two hand and the tablet it very comfortable to hold..... Viewing angle is spot on this way too.
Fingerprints are a pain but can't be seen while the tablet is on.
I have put on a screen glare protector and at first didn't like the increased drag (compared to using finger on glass.) but, I must say after a couple of days use it seems to have improved.

For anyone out there still contemplating which tablet to buy, make a list of your needs and your price range.

For me this tablet does exactly what I need it to do.
what essentially sold me on this tab were the inbuilt features. Viz. Full usb, sd card expansion, hdmi connection all without having to buy additional gear.

I've installed Swype a my keyboard and although it's a beta version it works well and is pretty fast.
If you want to do some serious writing all you need to do is plug a keyboard into the usb . Now that's neat!!

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 3:43:27 PM by moderator

Stan Jez

Jul 26, 2011, 4:01:16 PM via App

Compared to some other tablets it is heavier. I honestly thought that it would bother me, but using it with the Acer cover made into a stand it's great...on a table or on your lap whilst sitting in a chair. Anyway, it doesn't feel so flimsy that you feel that it would break. I thought my netbook was light. This tab is even lighter.

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 3:43:54 PM by moderator

rick halm

Dec 16, 2011, 4:15:26 AM via Website

You need to download astro from the market place and you can move files from your Acer iconia a500 to the SD card hope this helps you

John Brown

Mar 1, 2012, 5:31:02 AM via Website

have had mine for a month abd love it. the big selling point for me is the full size usb port. I have a cheap $16 case with key braod that works great with the 500 and a 160 gi hard drive that the usb port runs, I don't think there is another tablet that can do that.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 1, 2012, 10:47:31 AM via Website

So the Acer actually does run a external hard drive on the side? Well I'm finally interested in a tablet!

Napualani N.

May 17, 2012, 3:37:14 PM via Website

Aloha All, well just joined because I finally installed my internet @ home. I would always do that, tap on someones connection or spend a lot of time & money @ coffee places, but always tried to go to the ones with the alcoholic beverages. Anyways, I have had my A500 tab for awhile, (also, an acer aspire laptop) My ? is, is there an app that I could get that can check & get rid of stuff I don't need and not to pricey? Would I be able to use it on my laptop too? HELP!!

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 22, 2012, 6:00:54 PM via Website

I just got a Transformer Prime and it is a speed DEMON. So much faster than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I had before.

— modified on May 22, 2012, 6:01:31 PM

Ami Bowen

Dec 3, 2012, 3:13:07 PM via Website

I've had my Acer Iconia a500 since April or May 2012 and I still love it six-some months later. I have the 16gb version along with a 32gb microSD card and a 1.5 tb external drive for all my can't live without files. Lol.

Lucky Jo

Jun 4, 2013, 3:31:19 PM via Website

Hi Everybody, I am kind of new to A500. I wish to send emails with attachment but cannot. I use the Hot Email and whenever I clicked on the "insert a file", nothing happens. I don't know what else to do. Please assist me if you can

Many thanks!