How do I set my mp3 as a ringtone on the Samsung Galaxy S?

• Replies:24
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Apr 30, 2013 10:49:12 PM via Website

I'd have to experiment with different media players. I have Google Play Music (which is default) and ES File Explorers quick-play but that has no options at all. And when I select my ringtone in ES File Explorer there is no option to set it as the default ringtone. And Google Play Music doesn't list it as a music file. Plus if I choose any other music file it does see there is no option to set it as a ringtone. So it seems I'm SOL.

May 1, 2013 1:45:37 AM via Website

Ok, I stopped assuming your phone works like an S2 now, and I have some hopefully HELPFUL suggestions. ;)
Just for convenience, I'd put the ringtone file on your desktop to start. Right click the file, and click rename. Rename it to "(name).mid"... as in make it .mid. You might get a warning that it won't play, but disregard. Now copy that file to "Saved Sounds" on your phone. On your phone, open the media gallery, find the ringtone, hit options, and set as default (or individual) ringtone.
Ok, any better on this one??

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Jul 22, 2013 6:01:58 PM via Website

The other thing you can do is download an app to edit MP3s (most of them can do file conversions too, if the file you want to set as your ringtone is AAC or WAV or whatever). I tend to do it this way because then I can choose the specific part of a song I want as my ringtone, considering my phone rarely rings for more than a few seconds before I answer it. Just go to the Play Store and search for 'MP3 trimmer' or 'MP3 cutter' or 'ringtone maker' or any other combination of those words and find one with good feedback.

And yeah, that video is a good tutorial!

— modified on Jul 22, 2013 6:04:02 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jul 23, 2014 4:28:43 AM via Website

If you look in the file manager for the MP3 you want to use, select the file, on the menu choose MOVE, then select ringtones as the destination. Once it's in there you can select it from the Ringtone list.