Can't download apk

• Replies:7
Simon Williams
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 19, 2011, 10:46:19 AM via Website

Hi,

I have created an apk file and hosted it on my server, but when I link to it on an android phone in the browser I get "Page cannot be displayed". The file is in the location I am browsing to, and this works on an iPhone (even though it just downloads and does nothing obviously).

Anyone have any ideas of what I am doing wrong, or things I should check?

I have internet access through WiFi.

TIA.

Simon

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 20, 2011, 6:55:18 AM via Website

Your android browser may not know how to handle a .apk file type. Try downloading a better browser such as Dolphin browser from the android market. Also make sure you have "Unknown Sources" turned on in the Settings of your phone. It should be under Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources. Not all carriers will allow you to turn this on on their androids though.

Simon Williams

Jul 20, 2011, 10:57:34 AM via Website

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for your post.

I have the "Unknown Sources" option enabled. I have downloaded other apk files from other web sites (eg DropBox from the DropBox / Android site) using the inbuilt browser.

The only way I have been able to get my app onto my phone is by connecting the phone to my PC, transferring the file and then finding the file in Astro FileManager and clicking on it (brings up the install screen).

However, if I am to distribute this app I want people to be able to download it from my site (I don't want to go through the Android Market).

Are there other things I am missing here?

Thanks,

Simon

Jeremiah

Jul 20, 2011, 6:46:10 PM via Website

Only thing I can think of is maybe you need to set the mime type for .apk's in your C-panel or your .htaccess file; whichever your webhost uses. The mime type for android is: application/vnd.android.package-archive

Simon Williams

Jeremiah

Jul 20, 2011, 6:51:41 PM via Website

Only thing I can think of is maybe you need to set the mime type for .apk's in your C-panel or your .htaccess file; whichever your webhost uses. The mime type for android is: application/vnd.android.package-archive

Simon Williams

Jul 21, 2011, 10:33:35 AM via Website

Jeremiah - YOU ARE A STAR

I have been trying to download my apk for 2 days.

It was indeed a setting in IIS for mime types. I added the mime type and the download worked immediately. Thanks so much for your help.

Simon

— modified on Jul 21, 2011, 10:34:31 AM

Jeremiah

Jul 26, 2011, 2:48:11 AM via Website

Glad you got it working, and glad I could help.

Vijay
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 2:58:32 PM via Website

hi

i added mime type in IIS.
but with Android browser, i am unable to download the apk file .
but i using chrome app, i am able to download the same apk from my own website.

is there any android browser settings to be done ?