Viber

• Replies:79
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Aug 11, 2011 11:34:01 AM

Has anyone tried this Viber app and been pleased? The reception for me has been really bad. And the fact that so few people are on it is kind of a bummer, too. I don't know...what do you think?

Aug 11, 2011 11:37:28 AM

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Viber is great. It's like Skype but way, way better or WhatsApp but with calling. No registration, adding people from usernames. Excellent quality over WiFi and 3G. Now there's no need to pay for calls again.

Aug 11, 2011 11:39:15 AM

It desperately needs landscape for texting mode. That said, I'm quite pleased with this app and I think it leaves Skype in the dust as far as call quality is concerned.

Aug 14, 2011 3:04:43 PM

Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber development team!
I'm here to help you with any info you need about Viber, questions, suggestions, etc.
I'll start with what's already been asked here:

1. The echo'ey sound that some people experience with Viber is due to bad connection on either side of the conversation. Please try using Viber on two high-speed WiFi connections in order to see Viber's real potential.

2. Landscape mode is in the works right now, and will hopefully be available soon.

3. We have thoroughly checked Viber's effect on battery life, and we didn't notice any special drain when Viber is installed. Please isolate Viber *completely* (reboot phone, then close ALL other apps), and check the exact percentage of Viber after every hour. After running this accurate test, you'll see Viber uses normal amounts of battery. Also, note that you have the "Exit" button that allows you to shut Viber off (and still be available for calls/texts!) thus your battery is fully saved!

4. Viber can be turned off, as I've just mentioned, using the "Exit" button.

If you have any other question/suggestion, please feel free :)
Thanks,
Viber.

Nov 25, 2011 10:07:25 PM

Hi There,

I have installed Viber and started to send text and make phone calls, it has been working great.

However, I have a question regarding using Viber when travelling around. I understand that Viber works on top of WiFi or data plan, but how do I get charged if I use Viber on DataPlan ( 3G)? Do they charge just airtime whenever you are, or the roaming fee as well when you are outside of the coverage of the operator?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Judy

Nov 26, 2011 12:36:21 PM

Hi,

Viber itself is a completely free application, so paying for "airtime" is out of the question.

What your cell company will probably charge you for is the fact that you are using the internet abroad (they don't know that it's Viber specifically). They will charge you for 3G roaming data, and unless you have a speecific plan for 3G Roaming, usually it's expensive.

Note that Viber uses about 0.3MB per minute of call, and up to 1KB per text message.
Usually, people use Viber when connected to WiFi when they are abroad :)

— modified on Nov 26, 2011 12:36:44 PM

Apr 30, 2012 4:40:30 AM

I have downloaded viber to my handset. Now how can I check which
version has been installed.

I have tried calling someone in Taiwan and I kept getting the
message that viber is currenly unavailable or blocked. Do you
know has any country telco company block the use of viber?

Apr 30, 2012 12:15:01 PM

Alan Teo

Hi,
To check the version that's currently installed, please go to the "More" tab inside the app, then go to "About". The version number can be found there :)

About the block message you are getting - it could be that the internet network you are connected to is blocking Viber.
Please specify what country you are located in, and which cellular network you're connected to.

Regards,
the Viber Team.

May 4, 2012 9:34:02 AM

Eric McBride
Thanks for your support here Viber! :lol: Love seeing companies doing hands on support for people using their app.

It's our pleasure to be here!

If any of your users here on AndroidPIT (in forums, blogs or articles) has unanswered questions or doubts about Viber, please do let us know and we will address them shortly. Our goal is to reach out to all of our users across the Web so no question is left unexplained :)

— modified on May 4, 2012 9:34:51 AM

May 5, 2012 5:56:41 AM

Viber
Alan Teo

Hi,
To check the version that's currently installed, please go to the "More" tab inside the app, then go to "About". The version number can be found there :)

About the block message you are getting - it could be that the internet network you are connected to is blocking Viber.
Please specify what country you are located in, and which cellular network you're connected to.

Regards,
the Viber Team.

Hi,

I am located in Singapore. Singapore do not block Viber as I am able to call to friends within the country.
After trying for sometimes I am able to call Taiwan but it is after many tries. A friend told me that it could
be the signal is weak. Do you think this could be the case?

May 5, 2012 9:19:15 PM

Alan Teo

Hi,

I am located in Singapore. Singapore do not block Viber as I am able to call to friends within the country.
After trying for sometimes I am able to call Taiwan but it is after many tries. A friend told me that it could
be the signal is weak. Do you think this could be the case?

A block doesn't necessarily mean a national block. It could also be a local WiFi block.
From what you described, it doesn't sound like a weak signal problem (though it could theoretically be that).

Please try the following:

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connected to different WiFi networks. Does it work now?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, contact your router manufacturer)

Oct 23, 2012 6:52:55 PM

I have used for a year and it worked fine until today. I cant send a message and it said viber service is currently unavailable or currently blocked, try again later. I uninstall and install again but it does not work. Its so weird since i have used the same wifi connection for a year and viber worked fine. Then i try use 3g but viber is stiil not working either. What should i do? Thanks

Oct 23, 2012 7:32:16 PM

Hannah Pham
I have used for a year and it worked fine until today. I cant send a message and it said viber service is currently unavailable or currently blocked, try again later. I uninstall and install again but it does not work. Its so weird since i have used the same wifi connection for a year and viber worked fine. Then i try use 3g but viber is stiil not working either. What should i do? Thanks

Hi,

Viber system is currently experiencing connectivity issues. This is related to our hosting provider (Amazon) that is having a major problem that also affects many other services worldwide.

Amazon is on it, and we hope that with their help we'll be able to restore Viber's service soon.

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.