Is unlocking the same thing as Rooting?

• Replies:5
Maria Brambova
  • Forum posts: 23

Aug 24, 2011, 6:08:09 PM via Website

A question. what exactly is "rooting" an Android phone? What does it do? Is it the samething as unlocking? Why do you do it to a phone that already works?

Davidwills
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 30, 2011, 7:54:50 AM via Website

well i am not really sure about this but i guess yes they both are same things :) I mean i know more things will be possible if you root the phone, but as I consider buying the "unlocked" version of the phone versus on the subsidized version, if I were to root and unlock my N1, would i have all the capabilities of the marketed unlocked phone? Like could I use it on other networks and stuffs ?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Aug 31, 2011, 2:09:50 AM via App

There are two definitions commonly used in regards to unlocking/unlocked phones.. first was the unlocked version of a handset.. which meant/means you can use it on a variety of cellular networks (as long as it used the same type of network etc).

The more recent usage of the term unlocking/unlocked is commonly used to describe the "state" of a handset's bootloader. For folk's that want to root their devices.. a locked bootloader makes it very difficult to root or to stay rooted after rebooting the device.

santha narayanan
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 24, 2012, 7:55:36 AM via Website

Maria Brambova
A question. what exactly is "rooting" an Android phone? What does it do? Is it the samething as unlocking? Why do you do it to a phone that already works?
Hi, Rooting is a process allowing users of smart phones, tablets, and other devices running the android operation system to attain privileged control (known as "root access”) within Android's subsystem. Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. Rooting is analogous to jail breaking devices running the Apple iOS operating system or the Sony play station. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system. Thus “rooting” a android phone is not meant for unlocking it. So, if you need to unlock your phone, you must contact your telecom service provider or a site such as http://www.theunlockspot.com/ where we can unlock or phone permanently. So rooting is a process for android to get control within an android subsystem. Thanks

Gerald Adams
  • Forum posts: 16

May 12, 2016, 10:41:31 AM via Website

Rooting is the process of gaining “root access” to a device. This is generally performed on Android devices, but rooting can also occur on other devices based on Linux, such as Nokia’s now-retired Symbian operating system. While Unlocking a phone allows you to use it with a different SIM card — either to use a different carrier while travelling or to take your current phone with you while switching to a new service provider. Visit us for more info. #CommentDébloquerUnTelephone