Charles Hudson's Six Android Development Challenges (and how to tackle them)

• Replies:6
Tyler York
  • Forum posts: 17

Sep 1, 2011, 2:51:55 AM via Website

Hey all,

I was at the Android-i-fied event at Google SF last night, and heard Charles Hudson speak about the 6 Big Development Challenges for Android developers, and his suggestions on how to fix them. I thought it was a pretty good talk and wanted to share some key points with the Android community. We wrote up a quick blog post covering Charles Hudson's tips for dealing with:
1. Fragmentation
2. Development & Testing
3. Metrics
4. Platform Wars
5. Distribution & Discovery
6. Monetization

For more on what Charles' spoke about at the event, check out our blog post at http://blog.betable.com/charles-hudsons-six-android-challenges-and-ho . Feedback and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

— modified on Sep 3, 2011, 3:27:06 AM

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Sep 1, 2011, 3:12:34 AM via App

Thanks for the information, looks like a good read. I always thought the android system was name properly; just like the original Star Wars movie.. when a droid became obsolete it was discarded for a newer model much like our current state of fragmentation. it does seem however that it has been somewhat rectified with the new honeycomb android operating system 3.2 which has the ability to resize an application that wasn't designed for a particular screen size like in the case of my 10.1 inch ASUS transformer tablet which has a higher screen resolution then any handset .

— modified on Sep 1, 2011, 3:21:37 AM

Tyler York

Sep 1, 2011, 6:28:42 PM via Website

Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear that Google is on to the screen-resize issue and my hope is that they continue to tackle the fragmentation issues in the ecosystem. Fragmentation of some sort is inevitable, but giving developers the tools they need to work around it is hugely helpful.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Sep 2, 2011, 5:39:01 AM via Website

I'd like to take a look at your blog post, but the link above doesnt work.

Tyler York

Sep 3, 2011, 3:25:18 AM via Website

Thanks JustJay. I definitely botched that one >_<

Andolasoft
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 28, 2012, 10:38:13 AM via Website

Thanks for the information. And i thing you are be right point to discuss.