Rooting Questions and Answers!

• Replies:27
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Sep 22, 2011 4:19:29 PM

What exactly is rooting?

Rooting your Android involves adding a small Linux application called "su." It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run. The root user is the boss and can do anything on the device with "su" in place, including simple things like clearing the cache and also more complicated things like tethering a PC or an iPod touch.

Why would I want to do it?

Certain things you can only do with a rooted phone, like installing the software from other phones (think Sense or TouchWiz). Additionally, some apps like Titanium Backup only work on rooted devices and can help you backup all of your data before you switch phones. Rooted devices can also run other apps like Ad Free, which gets rid of all advertising on any app in your phone and Shoot Me, which allows you to take a screenshot of anything.

Is it dangerous? Will it void my warranty? What if I end up ruining my phone?

Rooting can be dangerous, depending on the device, it always voids your warranty and it can end up breaking your phone. By messing with your phone's internal DNA, you could end up fiddling with the wrong thing and brick your phone. Usually, you can still recover it, but not always. All major carriers and manufacturers state that altering or using un-approved software voids the warranty, so proceed with caution.

You've also got to be careful about the kinds of apps you install on your rooted phone. Read all the reviews and pay special attention to what kinds of permissions the app asks for.

Can I still receive over-the-air updates from my carrier?

Maybe. Most updates are designed to work with original software, so they need to check to make sure your software is just as they left it. If you decide to un-root your phone, usually you can update it again.

Can I un-root my phone?

It depends. Some phones are insanely easy to revert back and some are really difficult. This is the most important thing to research before you begin your rooting expedition.

In conclusion, so long as you do your research, rooting can give you an extra level of control over your Android phone. If you decide to root, consider the advice we've laid out here. The risks are real, but so are the rewards!

— modified on Sep 23, 2011 4:27:41 PM

Oct 4, 2011 6:32:41 AM

hello i need help please i have samsung exhibit and i thought my phone was rooted so i used odin3 and had my phone in download mode and ran the new gallaxy firmware and now my phone wont do anything but if i turn it on its white screen and i can still get it in download mode. can anyone help please thanks

Feb 15, 2012 6:10:21 AM

Steven Blum
What exactly is rooting?

Rooting your Android involves adding a small Linux application called "su." It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run. The root user is the boss and can do anything on the device with "su" in place, including simple things like clearing the cache and also more complicated things like tethering a PC or an iPod touch.

Why would I want to do it?

Certain things you can only do with a rooted phone, like installing the software from other phones (think Sense or TouchWiz). Additionally, some apps like Titanium Backup only work on rooted devices and can help you backup all of your data before you switch phones. Rooted devices can also run other apps like Ad Free, which gets rid of all advertising on any app in your phone and Shoot Me, which allows you to take a screenshot of anything.

Is it dangerous? Will it void my warranty? What if I end up ruining my phone?

Rooting can be dangerous, depending on the device, it always voids your warranty and it can end up breaking your phone. By messing with your phone's internal DNA, you could end up fiddling with the wrong thing and brick your phone. Usually, you can still recover it, but not always. All major carriers and manufacturers state that altering or using un-approved software voids the warranty, so proceed with caution.

You've also got to be careful about the kinds of apps you install on your rooted phone. Read all the reviews and pay special attention to what kinds of permissions the app asks for.

Can I still receive over-the-air updates from my carrier?

Maybe. Most updates are designed to work with original software, so they need to check to make sure your software is just as they left it. If you decide to un-root your phone, usually you can update it again.

Can I un-root my phone?

It depends. Some phones are insanely easy to revert back and some are really difficult. This is the most important thing to research before you begin your rooting expedition.

In conclusion, so long as you do your research, rooting can give you an extra level of control over your Android phone. If you decide to root, consider the advice we've laid out here. The risks are real, but so are the rewards!

Feb 15, 2012 2:36:05 PM

carmine92207
hello so u think its bricked i thought ehen its bricked nothing at all happens thanks is there nothing i can try

sure there is:
- Take out the battery
- connect your device to a computer via usb
- press volume down and power and if it has one the center button and wait....

This should bring you back to a default mode where you can do something.

Feb 15, 2012 3:11:23 PM

Christopher Silva
carmine92207
hello so u think its bricked i thought ehen its bricked nothing at all happens thanks is there nothing i can try

sure there is:
- Take out the battery
- connect your device to a computer via usb
- press volume down and power and if it has one the center button and wait....

This should bring you back to a default mode where you can do something.

If your soft bricked, this method will work. You just need to get back into recovery. If you can do that your golden.

If your hard bricked however, there unfortunately arent that many options :(

Feb 29, 2012 11:44:08 PM

Hi um I was wondering do u hav ne information on how to successfully root a Galaxy S 4g without a computer? Ive searched nd spent countless hours looking up ways to root my phone with no success :( Ne and all information would greatly b appreciated

May 9, 2012 2:59:50 PM

German : Hej habe mein Handy gerootet und zwar mit odin und mit 2.3.6 hatte ich schon aber als ich es rooten wollte dann hatte ich einen Fehler dabei und zwar wenn ich mein handy einschalte kommt ein schwarzer Bildschirm & Telefon .... (!) ... Computer wer kann mir helfen BITTE (Samsung Galaxy s i9000) BITTE BRAUCHE HILFE !

English : Hey I rooted my phone and that with odin and I had with 2.3.6 but when I tried it rooten then I had an error here and that if I turn on my cell phone is a black screen and telephone .... (!) ... Computer who can help me PLEASE (Samsung's i9000 Galaxy) PLEASE DO HELP!

May 9, 2012 5:33:33 PM

Hmm....first off, is it possible to pull your battery out and then get the phone back into recovery or fastboot mode? If you can get there, you aren't bricked and have many options.

Aug 31, 2012 5:03:27 PM

For those encountering a problem with odin, did your flashing display "passed" or "failed" in the odin console? Can you boot into either recover or download mode or only in recovery? Did you make a nandroid backup prior to flashing?

If you can do download mode only, please try downloading your .tar files again and check the md5 sum if it matches to make sure you are flashing an uncorrupted file. Hopefully reflashing the file again with odin will save your phone.

If you can do recovery, then try flashing a kernel and rom from there or hopefully you made a nandroid back up and restore.

Please give more details, like what were you trying to flash? Did you tick repartition in odin or did you try to flash a pit file? Maybe you used the wrong pit file?

Sep 2, 2012 8:18:14 PM

i want to root my arc s but i donno how?
please teach me step by step starting unlock bootloader and root
plzzzzzzzzz
that need to downgrade my phone first??
what tool that i need to download