Android screen completely black

• Replies:25
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 28, 2011, 3:47:53 PM via Website

Hello, I'm having a problem on a MID tablet that uses Android, I accidentally hit the adjustment/battery usage to adjust the screen brightness and the screen went completely black. I guess it isn't completely broken 'cause it still shows the android loading screen, but once the system has launched the screen goes black again.
The tablet has no reset button, and the manual doesn't say anything about this kind of issue.
Anyone knows how to fix this?

Lilly Righteous
  • Forum posts: 14

Sep 28, 2011, 4:09:02 PM via Website

What do you mean hit? Like hit as in actually physically hit it or did you try to adjust the brightness? I was just reading up on the tablet a bit and aparently it has a lot of issues with brightness esp. when you are using a custom rom. Is the origional software on it or are you using a custom ROM? Also if nothing else you could try a factory reset which should restore the normal working hardware settings.

Deactivated Account

Sep 28, 2011, 5:06:59 PM via Website

Lilly Righteous
What do you mean hit? Like hit as in actually physically hit it or did you try to adjust the brightness? I was just reading up on the tablet a bit and aparently it has a lot of issues with brightness esp. when you are using a custom rom. Is the origional software on it or are you using a custom ROM? Also if nothing else you could try a factory reset which should restore the normal working hardware settings.

Hello Lilly, let me rephrase the sentence "I accidentally clicked the adjustment/battery usage to adjust the screen brightness and the screen went completely black". It's not like I physically hit the tablet, I just clicked the wrong button.
I've been reading a lot about MID tablets and as you said it has a lot of issues. I'm not familiar with the tablet or android, I was just trying to adjust the brightness. It's using the original software, and the problem is that I don't know how to reset it. All I get after android screen loading finishes is a black screen.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 28, 2011, 5:25:49 PM via Website

I did some looking too and this is a common complaint about this particular tablet (But not Android Tablets in General) Its most-likely the case that the brightness is turned down WAY too low. Take it into a brite room and shine a flashlight on the tablet. You should be able to see that the able is still on and navagate using the normal comands back to the settings and readjust the brightness. If that doesn't work there may be a problem with the firmware and you can do a factory rest to fix this but you will loose all data on the table as it will be reset to the normal settings it comes from the factory with. Here is one reset solution from another form which I havent personally tried but is supposed to work:

Step 1: Download and save the the firmware from
the link below.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?
id=0BxfBU2pL3otBZDFlZjk3ZWYtNDBkNS00MjY3LWJkODAtMD
diYzA0ZTc3NWFh&hl=en&authkey=CI-u49cJ

Step 2: After you download and save the file
(7inch epad 2.0 Version.rar) use an unzipping
program like WinZip or WinRar to Unzip and open
the compressed file.

Step 3: After you open the file you will see a
folder named "script" copy the "script" folder to
a Micro SD card. But make sure that nothing else
is on the micro SD card.

Step 4: Pick up your tablet but make sure that the
tablet is completely shut-off.

Step 5: Insert the Micro SD Card into the tablet

Step 6: Power on the tablet and your tablet should
recognize the firmware on the micro sd card and it
should boot it automatically.

Step 7: After the tablet is done installing the
firmware, there will be a message that will prompt
you to take the Micro SD Card, at that point take
out the micro sd card and then hit the menu button
on the tablet and then the tablet should boot up
automatically.

Step 8: Your done!

Deactivated Account

Sep 30, 2011, 4:42:52 PM via Website

Hello Aaron, thank you for your suggestions, but I think I'm in a bigger trouble right now. I've tried both options, the first one with the flashlight didn't worked, so I tried the firmware option... and now I don't even get the the android loading screen, so I can't tell if the system has launched or not. The screen remains black... I think I damaged it for real this time :(
Do you think there's a fix to this, or should I forget about it and get a new tablet?

Aaron Tilton

Sep 30, 2011, 6:18:03 PM via Website

Well that's disheartening... where did you buy it from? Is there a serivce number you can call?

The only other options I can think of is letting the battery drain completly and then restarting it, or try the SDcard reset again. It might not have taken the first time. I tried something similar with a Galaxy tab and had to do it several times before it took.... :(

Deactivated Account

Sep 30, 2011, 6:29:32 PM via Website

Well, the problem is I got it from someone that brought a bunch of those tablets in a container from China, so there's no guarantee or company I can complain at. (my bad! an awful mistake I won't make again)

I'll try the SD card reset again. What should I expect? I mean, how do I know it worked? is there any image or message I should see on screen?

Aaron Tilton

Oct 4, 2011, 2:07:31 PM via Website

Ahh okay that makes everything a bit more complecated esp. if you don't know where or how it was obtained in China. A good example of this was at this years IFA tradeshow in Berlin. I was going around with some of the other AndroidPIT staff and we saw bootleg iPhones from China running Android. Sketchy to say the least and very common if a major chain isn't vouching for the device. If the factory restart worked then you should get a normal boot screen after you've loaded it up. But not knowing the origin of the tab its hard to say whats really inside and if thats even the correct rest method. I'd try to find out if there is a PC dealer in your area that can service tablet PCs. With such little information and no real assurance about what's actually inside the case the only way to know what to do is by actually having an expert look at the physical device. Sorry I don't have better information for you.

Fratboy Beezy
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 7:57:32 AM via Website

I DOWNLOADED A FINGER PRINT SCREENSAVER FROM THE MARKET, I WENT TOO IT AND NOW MY SCREEN BLACK WHEN I UNLOCK IT....CAN YOU HELP WIT THAT?

Aaron Tilton

Jan 20, 2012, 10:36:33 AM via Website

The first thing I would do is turn the phone of, remove the batter and wait a minute or two before restarting it. Then once it's booted back up seeing if the problem remains.

I'd then uninstall the app and then reinstall a fresh version from the Android Market.

Let me know if that works!

Robert Martin

Feb 24, 2012, 9:00:45 AM via Website

Hi I had this exact same problem with downloading the battery saver app that sets screen brightness to 0%, I spent 3 days trying to figure out what was wrong emailing support trying to flash my tablet was going to return it until I came across this thread. I was able to fix my tablet.. I used an LED flashlight and scanned the screen at an angle and was able to find my way to the battery saver app and fix the brightness. Thank you so much!! saved me $200!!

Aaron Tilton

Feb 24, 2012, 11:23:19 AM via Website

Sweet! Glad to know we could help and save you a bit of cash/stress in the process!

Zaheer
  • Forum posts: 2

May 25, 2012, 12:37:16 AM via Website

Robert Martin
Hi I had this exact same problem with downloading the battery saver app that sets screen brightness to 0%, I spent 3 days trying to figure out what was wrong emailing support trying to flash my tablet was going to return it until I came across this thread. I was able to fix my tablet.. I used an LED flashlight and scanned the screen at an angle and was able to find my way to the battery saver app and fix the brightness. Thank you so much!! saved me $200!!

I am having the exact same problem and that too because of the Easy battery saver app. I managed to see the screen with the LED light techniques but now the touch screen is not working. What may have caused that? I reset it many times. Maybe this? How can I know for sure that the screen is dead I mean really dead? Please guide.

Device: ARNOVA 7b g2
Firmware: 2.3.1 Gingerbread

firmware and other stuff are stock.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 25, 2012, 1:46:30 PM via Website

Have you guys tried using a dead pixel detector just to see if it finds anything? There are a few free ones on the Google Play Store.

Zaheer

May 25, 2012, 3:30:57 PM via Website

Eric McBride
Have you guys tried using a dead pixel detector just to see if it finds anything? There are a few free ones on the Google Play Store.

I cannot install any application or anything. The screen is just stuck. How I am supposed to install something? :s

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Jun 6, 2012, 2:45:04 PM via Website

Zaheer
Eric McBride

I cannot install any application or anything. The screen is just stuck. How I am supposed to install something? :s

Dammit. Sorry bro. Totally didnt think about that.

It really does souind like a hardware issue though :(

Toni Leidy

Feb 17, 2013, 11:21:20 PM via Website

I also had been looking for solutions to a similar problem - my son's android tablet (cheap one) would show the Welcome screen and then "Android" for a bit and then would go black. I had no idea that the brightness had been turned all the way down (not sure why it should allow that anyway - all the way where you can't see settings). Anyway, I used the idea of the LED light and saw that it actually was on. The problem was I didn't know where to press to find the settings - and couldn't see it clear enough with my flashlight to find them. We happened to have an identical unit for my daughter, so I just used hers to get to brightness by pressing the same general area on the dark one - and it worked! (Also helps to put volume up so you can hear if you're actually pressing anything.) Well, the screen came on - it was just a brightness problem. I was just about to give up - so thanks so very, very much. My son is so happy! Also, I had pressed the reset so many times, and held down the power & volume and all these other ideas - so I was suprised to see that we didn't lose any of our apps.

Charlene Wilneff

Mar 15, 2014, 8:25:40 PM via Website

Hi I have a hipstreet Equinox 3 and I have the same problem with the brightness, the screen is completely black. I tried the flaslight that did not work so right now I'm draining the battery. If I drain the battery will I get my screen back? I already left a message at hipstreet.com . Another question how long does it take to drain the battery? If someone has another fix for me please let me know as I can't see anything. Help :(

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Mar 24, 2014, 2:02:24 AM via Website

similar problem i had a year ago but not on a Tablet on an Alcatel Smartphone device and i bought my current device S III Mini
i checked the alcatel last month and it worked :) don't know how or why and i gave it to my nephew :)

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher

jam

Jan 8, 2015, 3:49:33 PM via Website

is this able to an android phone??

Brett Padgett

Jan 23, 2015, 8:38:05 PM via Website

My wife and I received a very cheap Android Tablet for sitting thru a sales presentation. Within 20 minutes of receiving it I experienced the dreaded black screen that seems to be very common. Since the directions seem to have been written by a first grader with very limited English skills they were no help. I wasn't familiar enough with the button positions yet to even log in using the security code I had just set up.

I tried turning on in a dark room like has been suggested in many forums. I would get the normal Android login logos and then BLACK. I tried to flashlight at 45 degree angle with no luck.

YOU MUST USE A LED FLASHLIGHT. Regular flashlights don't seem to work. Once I acquired an LED light it took me about 30 second to get logged in to the tablet and turn up the brightness.

Done!

Linda Johnson

Apr 9, 2015, 4:18:36 PM via Website

No I pushed the brightness too low

Linda Johnson

Apr 9, 2015, 4:25:22 PM via Website

I got it!!! I used the led flashlight!!! Thank you so much!!!

greenbergmethew

Mar 23, 2016, 11:11:29 AM via Website

The screen on your phone has a back light (invert er board).
Just like a computer, or a laptop screen once the back light breaks or becomes faulty no images can be seen on the screen.

Your best option is to contact verizon, and get the phone replaced with a new Phone.

Remove the back cover of your android device and reseat the battery to make sure that the contacts are touching properly, and the phone is getting power. Then charge your phone and leave it for charging for few hours.

If the first step fails to solve Android Black Screen Of Death issue, then take out the sim card, SD-card and battery from the phone and leave them for 5-10 seconds. Put the battery and charge it.

If the last step also fails, the hardware factory reset will be the last step to perform. This process will erase all the data on your android phone, but you will not be able to backup them because of the Android Black Screen Of Death condition. Make your phone ready for hardware factory reset by resetting the battery and taking the SD care out. You can keep the sim card in your device and close the phone.

Rweethy
  • Forum posts: 17

Jul 6, 2016, 5:32:21 AM via Website

Some problem on your android phone .You need one new ....

bellagreen
  • Forum posts: 24

Aug 25, 2017, 10:35:48 AM via Website

When your device goes black, can you use it to do other things? If you cannot, you can try some tips to fix the touch screen not working, like Factory Reset Android Device in Recovery Mode but this way may remove all data on your android. Thus, to get the data back firstly before factory reset and Broken Android Data Extraction may do this, which I search on google.

— modified on Aug 25, 2017, 10:36:19 AM