Can Android play mpeg 2 movies?

• Replies:12
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Sep 28, 2011 4:01:16 PM via Website

I have a digital tv recorder and it rcoreds a couple of TV shows for me in MPEG 2 format .TS I can play the files on my computer with windows media players but I can't see to get it to work on my ChaCha... anyone have an idea how I can get the files to work on my Android phone with out haveing to do something crazy with the handset?

Sep 28, 2011 4:14:41 PM via Website

as far as I know android phones can play:

MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, M4A, MID, OGG, WMA, WAV, AVI, MP4, 3GP, WMV, (DivX, XviD)

Chacha can play: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, M4A, MID, OGG, WMA, WAV, MP4, 3GP, WMV

But you could convert the files with "Nero" or some other Software for you PC to a file your ChaCha actually can play :)

Sep 28, 2011 4:28:08 PM via Website

@ryan I've used snowfox before and its a good app but you need to know a little bit about film conversion to get it to work right and film conversaion is an art for itself.

Another option would be to use the VLC beta player as it can run almost any video format on any Android Phone. Its still a rough beta but its a good piece of software and it should do the trip until the full release comes out.

Deactivated Account

Dec 8, 2012 5:06:06 PM via Website

Eric McBride
MX video player can play just about everyting. Great app, and its free! -_-
Yep, MxPlayer is very good, it can play many file formats

Jan 7, 2013 12:41:24 AM via App

MX Player is free. It will play .mp4 and .mpeg files. I have played many others successfully. I don't know for sure if it'll play .mpeg 2 files, but download and give it a try anyway. Completely free and plays stuff the stock player can't. Definitely worthwhile having it on your device if you have the memory spare for it. B-)