Changing memory allocation for Apps

• Replies:2
andrew meads
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 7, 2011, 7:19:19 PM via Website

Hi
I am using an app called dslrcontroller which connects to and controls my Canon EOS cameras. It is in beta form but appears a very useful and competent app.
However its performance is restricted by the amount of memory allocated to apps on my Ainol Novo7 Tablet (running the latest version of Gingerbread. The developers recommend altering the settings in the root - /system/build.prop file, and the setting is named dalvik.vm.heapsize. Unfortunately, although I am very familiar with Windows "under the hood" I am new to Android.
I am hoping that some helpful and knowledgeable person in the forum will be able to guide me (by the hand) to this file so that I can make the necessary changes.
Here's hoping.
Regards
Andrew

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 8, 2011, 11:07:24 PM via App

1, root your device. There's a few techniques to do this, check xda forums for zergrush, it seems to be the most reliable method atm.
2, install a file explorer that can access the root, I've used root explorer for a year or so, easy to use but not free. There are others on the market.
3, using the file explorer, access root, look for a file named system. in it you'll find a txt file named build.prop, open with text editor and look for a line similar to this:

dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m

change the integer and save.

Sinkster

andrew meads
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 9, 2011, 4:18:27 PM via Website

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I now have my tablet set at the top memory allocation and the DSLR program is functioning.
Andrew