how do they do it? bar code scanners

• Replies:12
Allen Arnold
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 5:06:08 PM via Website

how do they code it so that the camera can scan a bar code?
all i want it to do is to be able to say what the item is
i really dont care about price
or where to get one
i just want to know how they can get the phone to read a bar code?
any explainations would be greatly appreciated
thanks peeps'

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Feb 2, 2012, 10:53:57 AM via Website

I use the Ap - Barcodescanner V.3.7 It works great for all kinds of info

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 2, 2012, 1:11:09 PM via Website

Hmm..Im not really sure HOW exactly the bar code scanner works. I would post this question at XDA in the android development section as well, as its something the devs there can probably explain pretty easily.

Anyone have an idea of how these work?

David Felane
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 8, 2012, 9:45:00 PM via Website

I use that scanner - SnyervBPrice1.0 Scanner and the provider gave me an explanation how is done.
When you take a picture with your camera, the light goes from the camera in to the phone and the processor makes the received information into picture. When using the scanner, the application uses the same process like thaking a picture, and "reads" the information available. Then it search from the database for such item, and if found, gives the information about it :)

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Apr 10, 2012, 5:57:58 PM via Website

David Felane
I use that scanner - SnyervBPrice1.0 Scanner and the provider gave me an explanation how is done.
When you take a picture with your camera, the light goes from the camera in to the phone and the processor makes the received information into picture. When using the scanner, the application uses the same process like thaking a picture, and "reads" the information available. Then it search from the database for such item, and if found, gives the information about it :)

Makes sense! Thanks for this!

Aspper White
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 29, 2012, 3:34:47 AM via Website

Install one barcode scanning software in your camera, it will works.

vicy cao
  • Forum posts: 9

Nov 29, 2012, 4:37:11 AM via Website

you can install a app of bar code scanners, so that you can use it.

karl_jay

Dec 27, 2012, 5:20:17 AM via Website

BizCode Barcode Reader for .NET SDK support many commonly-used linear and matrix barcode symbologies covering several industries, including ISO/IEC specified Code 39, Code 128, Interleaved 2 of 5, GS1 specified EAN-8, EAN-13, UPC-A and UPC-E, as well as popular two-dimensional / 2D barcodes Data Matrix, QR Code and PDF-417.

Susan Smith

Apr 18, 2013, 5:44:44 AM via Website

Hi
You just need to install a barcode generator that supports your system in your phone.

mariah lewis
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 17, 2013, 5:13:39 AM via Website

hey, i just know it need to be added a barcode reader,and then use the camera to scan barcode.as for the connection between phone and barcode,i 've just generated a barcode on my phone, bu as for reader i haven't found one.

fds fd d

Jun 4, 2014, 9:39:15 AM via Website

i have a barcode reader as well, just wondering how to install into my camera and read different kinds of barcode

any help would be appreciated by installing this [.net barcode reader][1] into my camera. please teach me how to code it.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 4, 2014, 10:48:03 AM via Website

I know this is a little off-topic, but here's a cool GIF that ''explains'' how a QR code reader works.

As for barcodes, as far as I'm aware it's all about recognizing the specific pattern (thickness of bars, space between them, arrangement) and assigning that to a database of items by analyzing the reflected light from the beam/barcode interaction. Here's a nice explanation of how barcode readers work, not sure if it will help (I just liked the hand-drawn pictures).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Roy Weinberg
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 8, 2014, 12:50:42 PM via Website

There should be an open source library for that ... will look and update