Android IOIO Board

• Replies:2
Netmfdevices
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 12:30:14 PM via Website

The IOIO (pronounced "yo-yo") is a board specially designed to work with your Android 1.5 and later device. The board provides robust connectivity to an Android device via a USB or Bluetooth connection and is fully controllable from within an Android application using a simple and intuitive Java API - no embedded programming or external programmer will ever be needed!

The IOIO board contains a single MCU that acts as a USB host and interprets commands from an Android app. In addition, the IOIO can interact with peripheral devices in the same way as most MCUs. Digital Input/Output, PWM, Analog Input, I2C, SPI, and UART control can all be used with the IOIO. Code to control these interfaces is written in the same way as you write an Android app with the help of a simple to use app-level library. In other words, you can combine the awesome computing power, Internet/Bluetooth connectivity, touch screen, and a variety of sensors from your Android device with the ability to easily add peripheral devices to interact with the outside world. Also, using the IOIO does not require any hardware or software modifications to your Android device, thus preserving the warranty as well as making the functionality available to non-hackers.

The IOIO acts as a USB host and connects to most Android devices that have USB slave (device) capability. So far, the devices proven to work with this board are: G1, Nexus One, Nexus S, Motorola Droid X (among many others now). If you get the IOIO working on your Android device, please let us know in the comments below, thanks!

Check out this example project that uses the IOIO's bluetooth capability!

Update: The IOIO now has beta firmware available which supports Google's Open Accessory (ADK) protocol. The code base can be found here.

to buy .NET Micro Framework Boards visit http://www.netmfdevices.com/eshop/index.php?cPath=5&sid=d18365e840b3046b594e07318edfda27

— modified on Mar 13, 2012, 6:28:09 AM

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 6, 2012, 3:43:26 PM via Website

Very interesting concept, but the link you posted says "not found".

Do you have a new link?

— modified on Mar 6, 2012, 3:43:49 PM

gur steinberg
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 6:44:40 AM via Website

Hi,
I like to use a IOIO type device to activate a Peripheral.
The Peripheral is a simple electrical device which need to be turn on & off (like a 12v flashlight).
I like that the trigger to turn the flashlight on/off will come from internet data (like sport result).
1. Where can I buy this IOIO ype device ?
2. Do I must connect the IOIO to full real android device? or can I buy and use just a cheaper relevant hardware which will capable of get the internet data and be program to activate the IOIO?
Thanks in advance
Gur