Pls suggest ebook/tablet model for playing chess on device

• Replies:7
ranju r
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 16, 2012, 10:32:55 AM via Website

Hi, Friends,
Please suggest a touch screen device 7-9" for my aged father to play chess on device, he is not internet savvy, but if device comes with wifi or 3g and front camera for video conferencing , i might be able to get him to use them.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 16, 2012, 11:36:35 AM via Website

Where are you located? There are a lot of good tablets on the market. I'm personally drawn to the Samsung tablets but if you just need some basics the Kindle Fire is probably one of the best ones out there because its cheap and powerful.

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Mar 16, 2012, 1:47:38 PM via Website

Hi, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.. small enough to carry around and big enough screen for those with eye problems. Chess looks great on it too. Also it has cameras and wifi - faster than 3G

My mother, over 70, uses a Nook and loves it. It does not have cameras though.

ranju r

Mar 17, 2012, 12:31:16 AM via Website

Hi ,
Thanks for responding. I am in India. Nook Colour or Nook Touch are the devices I am considering, though they cost a bomb here. Do these devices allow to d/l chess games and play as I heard that it only allows online games. Do they have access to android market. The only use my father would do is play chess games. I doubt I can get him to read ebooks on it. I would have loved to give him a tablet , so that I could video chat with him, as I live quite far away from him. But I think, it will take a long time for him to grasp computers and the internet , as he has never had the opportunity to use a computer.

— modified on Mar 17, 2012, 12:32:59 AM

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Mar 17, 2012, 9:27:44 PM via Website

The Nook has its own market but Chess is available. IF it important to have a camera you may need to look at another tablet.

ranju r

Mar 18, 2012, 8:24:22 AM via Website

Hi Chris ,

Then Nook seems to be a good option, will scout for some used one. Doesn't make sense to go for a new one, when its going to be used for just playing chess.

BMNOT

Mar 19, 2012, 8:19:54 AM via Website

I have both an ipad andandroid tablets and apart from games, the android can do everything the ipad can, at least as well as the ipad does. There are some games, but not nearly as much as on the apple side. That said for general day to day things i use the android tablet much more than the ipad.

— modified on Mar 19, 2012, 12:19:16 PM by moderator

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 19, 2012, 12:20:39 PM via Website

I'm going to disagree with you.. Android tablets actually have more apps and games then iOS.

The Nook is a solid choice as well if you ask me! :D Hope you find one for a good price!