USB debugging on Upad - windows won't recognize driver

• Replies:13
Eric
  • Forum posts: 7

May 2, 2012, 11:15:44 PM via Website

Hi everyone, I just started out developing on an android tablet, its called: Upad, (I think its from China) I'm trying to connect my 7'' Upad to my windows 7 computer to do USB debugging, so I can see the app running on the actual device. I've enabled USB debugging, I've made sure that the version I'm running on Eclipse is the same as the version that's installed on the tablet. When I plug in the USB, I hear the sound you normally hear when you plug something in, the pad gives a message: "USB debugging connected", but I can't see the device in Eclipse's device chooser, and when I go into device manager, I can see a device called: "Android", but its driver isn't installed. Properties say:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

The first couple of times I plugged it in, windows would give me an error message saying: "USB device not recognized...". It stopped doing that at some point, but it still doesn't recognize it. I tried going to the Upad website, but they don't have a driver's section for windows.
The problem isn't the usb cable, because I've used it for my camera and my phone and it works fine.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be, or how they would solve it?

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

May 3, 2012, 5:15:34 AM via Website

I think I've found a solution, the page was in chinese so here is the google translate page: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Flitecoding.com%2F2010%2F12%2F30%2Fzenithink-zt-180-adb-cherez-usb-na-proshivke-1204%2F&act=url

Basically you have to modify the standard google usb driver. To find the standard driver look in your android installation folder ->

android\extras\google\usb_driver
Open the file android_winusb.inf with a text editor such as notepad.

Find the section: [Google.NTx86]
Add this line under that section:
;
;ZT-180
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Find this section: [Google.NTamd64]
and add the same line:
;
;ZT-180
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Save the file.

Now open the android device in your device manager and click on update driver. Browse to android\extras\google\usb_driver and tell it to use the file you have modified for the driver.

Hope this helps, let me know if you get stuck.

Eric

May 3, 2012, 5:25:28 PM via Website

That was quite the find, and your solution worked perfectly - at first. I was even able to get eclipse to run the app on the tablet. What happened on the second run was that the .apk file failed to load. So I tried a few things, including unplugging the device and plugging it back in, trying different USB ports, etc.. Now the device shows up as "unknown device" instead of "android", (along with 2 other unknowns) I tried updating the driver again for it, using the same location, but it says the drivers are already up to date. Uninstalling the driver just makes it disappear from the system until I plug it back in... I'm afraid to try "disable". I'm not sure where to go from here, I thought this might be better than the emulator, but so far its pretty finicky.

Jeremiah

May 4, 2012, 5:10:34 AM via Website

Eric
That was quite the find, and your solution worked perfectly - at first. I was even able to get eclipse to run the app on the tablet. What happened on the second run was that the .apk file failed to load. So I tried a few things, including unplugging the device and plugging it back in, trying different USB ports, etc.. Now the device shows up as "unknown device" instead of "android", (along with 2 other unknowns) I tried updating the driver again for it, using the same location, but it says the drivers are already up to date. Uninstalling the driver just makes it disappear from the system until I plug it back in... I'm afraid to try "disable". I'm not sure where to go from here, I thought this might be better than the emulator, but so far its pretty finicky.

Did you try rebooting and restarting eclipse? Also make sure you the device is in development mode when you plug it into your computer. Most device will ask you what mode you want when you plug them in, such as "charge only", "sd card", "development mode". Sounds like the device is connecting to your computer as a mass storage (sd mode) now. Try getting it back in development mode. I would also deleted the previous version of the app off the tablet eclipse may be having trouble installing because of the previous version.

Eric

May 11, 2012, 11:06:59 PM via Website

Funny thing, a few days later it started working again. It was really useful to me for a while but a week later its suddenly gone back to not seeing my device in Eclipse again, despite reboots. ughh.. I'd like to have this back, the emulator is all but unusable. If I look at it again in device manager and it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, each time it tells me that "Windows has determined that the driver is up to date" (unlike the first time I did this, after your post, when it actually updated it, and got it to work for the first time), I can see that it uses a file called: usbccgp.sys
for the driver, in the windows/system32 folder, and I was thinking maybe I could delete that and reinstall it, but it says the last date modified was in 2011, So I think that if I delete that I'd probably be affecting something else, and I can't anyway, windows won't let me touch anything in that folder. I've been trying all sorts of stuff, but I bet in the end it'll just start mysteriously working again a few days from now. Maybe this is related to the phases of the moon somehow...

— modified on May 11, 2012, 11:44:31 PM

Jeremiah

May 15, 2012, 9:51:24 AM via Website

Have you tried rebooting the device itself?

Eric

May 15, 2012, 7:12:57 PM via Website

Yeah, I tried that, and the computer too. It started working again the next day, but the day I posted that it was refusing to work no matter what I did.

Eric

May 16, 2012, 2:35:26 AM via Website

Yes, I'm on revision 19. The day where the USB debugging ceased to work, I managed to work with the emulator, but its slower to start up than using an actual device, so I spend a lot of time waiting for it to boot (I do test/runs often when I program) the emulator also gives weird errors to the console when I use it, which are worrisome. If there's a bug or crash, I'm never sure if those are related to it, and it just seems overall less stable than USB debugging. Though I must say, Eclipse with Android is a pretty buggy experience altogether.

Jeremiah

May 16, 2012, 3:19:17 AM via Website

You can enable a snapshot so that the emulator doesn't have to boot every time you start it. http://tools.android.com/recent/emulatorsnapshots
I too find eclipse a royal pain, I do most of my development without it. I've written an article on developing android without eclipse here: http://www.xdebugx.net/articlemanager/index.php?post=7
Basically I use a text editor and batch files to install / uninstall the app from the emulator. To compile just call ant from the command line. The text editor I use has a menu that will let you call ant so I never even have to leave the text editor to compile.

Eric

May 16, 2012, 8:28:24 PM via Website

I'm definitely going to consider that route, because I'm at my wit's end with Eclipse!

Eric

May 16, 2012, 8:58:48 PM via Website

Question: What do you do for debugging?

Jeremiah

May 17, 2012, 3:54:49 AM via Website

From the command line or a batch file, enter: "adb debug" to get the logcat output. Thats assuming you've added the android\platform-tools directory to your path. I can usually figure out the problem from the logcat. If you need profiling here is instructions on using traceview from the command line: http://www.jpct.net/wiki/index.php/Profiling_Android_Applications.

Jeremiah

May 19, 2012, 2:45:33 AM via App

Jeremiah
From the command line or a batch file, enter: "adb debug" to get the logcat output. Thats assuming you've added the android\platform-tools directory to your path. I can usually figure out the problem from the logcat. If you need profiling here is instructions on using traceview from the command line: http://www.jpct.net/wiki/index.php/Profiling_Android_Applications.

I meant to say enter adb logcat from the command line.