Samsung Galaxy S3 — S. Korean Galaxy S3

• Replies:10
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Aug 10, 2012 8:13:46 AM via Website

Hi all.
I am a complete noob regarding all this so please forgive my ignorance of all things android....
I have been offered a Samsung Galaxy S3 at a very attractive price by a friend who bought it but can't get on with it.
The only thing is, it is a Korean version. It's no problem to change the language but is it possible to wipe the fw and install european fw?
I believe that as a Korean telecoms icon appears on start up that it's not possible for it to update automatically.
I have been told that it's not possible to alter these Korean phones but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.
Any help and advice would be gratefully received before I make the purchase.
Thanks in advance.

Trending stories from our news section

Aug 15, 2012 5:46:55 AM via Website

I don't think it's locked to a carrier as I have typed *#1234# and everything comes up as 'off' so that neabs unlocked I take it?
The model number though is SHW-M440S so I'm concerned about trying to install a firmware for I9300 model in case it all goes wrong and I'm left with a useless phone.
I connected to Kies and it stated that there was an updated FW available but it is the Korean version again.
I don't understand anything about ROM's and Kernels so I'm unsure whether to give it a go or not. I updtaed the FW on my old Samsung Tocco with no problems but this is a completely different (and more expensive) animal!
I was hoping someone on here had already had the same issues and could advise before I do something I will regret.

Aug 15, 2012 3:53:41 PM via Website

Michael
I don't think it's locked to a carrier as I have typed *#1234# and everything comes up as 'off' so that neabs unlocked I take it?
The model number though is SHW-M440S so I'm concerned about trying to install a firmware for I9300 model in case it all goes wrong and I'm left with a useless phone.
I connected to Kies and it stated that there was an updated FW available but it is the Korean version again.
I don't understand anything about ROM's and Kernels so I'm unsure whether to give it a go or not. I updtaed the FW on my old Samsung Tocco with no problems but this is a completely different (and more expensive) animal!
I was hoping someone on here had already had the same issues and could advise before I do something I will regret.

I must admit that rooting this phone is....VERY VERY EASY.

I made a step by step tutorial if you want to give it a shot. You can find it here:

http://www.androidpit.com/root-samsung-galaxy-s3

Aug 16, 2012 3:30:44 AM via Website

Thank you.
Do you think that I will need to root it before installing the new firmware?
What would happen if I just went ahead and installed the I9300 firmware on the phone as it is right now?

Oct 30, 2012 9:25:21 AM via Website

Hi There,

Just curious, did you manage to successfully root your Korean Samsung Galaxy S3 phone? I'm asking because I soon will have to do the same. Though mine will be the LTE version. Please let me know if it worked out OK and if there were any problems. :)

Oct 30, 2012 9:46:12 AM via Website

Hi, I never actually tried it.
I just use the phone in its standard form and it's fine.
The only issues I sometimes have are that I can't remove the Korean Apps and the sms is limited to 40 characters.
If you have a go at yours though I'd be interested to hear how you get on, thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 5:50:23 PM via Website

If you are an owner of Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 and have already updated your device to the latest firmware version, you may want to root it to gain full control over the phone. Below is an easy-to-follow step by step tutorial to help you perform a root on your International Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
***Admin edit: links disguised as source code are forbidden***

— modified on Sep 24, 2013 4:19:30 PM by moderator

Jan 7, 2013 10:57:53 AM via Website

I have Samsung Galaxy 3 Korean version. In my phone i have 2100 amh battery. But battery charge gets low very first though i do not use it much. I have to recharge the battery something like every 24hrs. Please can you help me finding a solution to this.

— modified on Jan 7, 2013 10:58:22 AM