Sony Xperia U — WiFi issues after OS uptodate (GB to ICS)

• Replies:12
RMiranda
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 20, 2012, 11:37:03 AM via Website

Hi been having some issues after ICS update (from gingerbread), decided to do a Factory Resest (the easy-way through settings) all went well, and it seems to have solved some of the issues, but one issue still persists:
WiFi refreshing/updating issues, when i turn the phone on, it searches and connects to any known WiFi but after a while, if i try to turn off the WiFi (through settings) it looks like it freezes a bit, if i go back in the menu and forward again to see the WiFi status it's still on, and also if i scan for WiFis it does nothing.
The only solution is to reboot the phone...i've done some searching and a lot of people are having similar issues with ICS update (although most of them have Samsung devices)

Is anyone having the same issue? Maybe a Factory Reset (the hard-way through boot) will solve this?

Specs
Device: Xperia U
Model: ST25i
Android OS: v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Kernel: v3.0.8
Misc: Not rooted; Other than GO Switch, i haven't any wifi related app installed.

Thanks for reading.

— modified on Nov 20, 2012, 11:37:37 AM

Ron333
  • Forum posts: 6

Dec 8, 2012, 11:34:04 PM via Website

Hi, I have a Xperia U and same same problem since I upgraded to ICS... did you find a solution ?

RMiranda

RMiranda

Dec 9, 2012, 9:44:44 PM via Website

Hey, nope it still persists, think i'll have to go to costumer support :-/

Ron333

Dec 13, 2012, 1:58:24 AM via Website

Hi,

Problem is solved... I repaired my telephone by connecting it to Sony utility Bridge for Mac and select the repair tool (if you have a PC, use Sony PC Companion)... be aware it’ll erase internal memory (contacts, apps, ...) but not not on the internal SD card (photos, videos, etc...). Wifi behaves normally now, and quits immediately when I turn it off.
Hope it’ll help

RMiranda

RMiranda

Dec 13, 2012, 2:10:42 AM via Website

Ron333
Hi,

Problem is solved... I repaired my telephone by connecting it to Sony utility Bridge for Mac and select the repair tool (if you have a PC, use Sony PC Companion)... be aware it’ll erase internal memory (contacts, apps, ...) but not not on the internal SD card (photos, videos, etc...). Wifi behaves normally now, and quits immediately when I turn it off.
Hope it’ll help

Hey thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to try it in pc companion. Just one question, does the "repair tool" proceeds in a different way as to factory reset through phones settings?

Ron333

Dec 13, 2012, 2:33:08 AM via Website

I think PC Companion will download Android 4 software (less than 400Mb), so it can take time, all I know is in both cases you’ll have to adjust all your settings again and reinstall apps, etc.... You can try factory settings, but not sure it works.

RMiranda

RMiranda

Dec 13, 2012, 2:38:18 AM via Website

Already tried FR 2 times, didn't solved, so i'm getting used to install and configuring everything xP
I'm backing up everything as we speak, and will do the repair after, just one question, is it something like this?:
(since i can't post links: YOUTUBE>"Repairing X10 Mini Pro via Sony Ericsson PC Companion.")

Ron333

Dec 13, 2012, 2:47:38 AM via Website

yes, that’s it... pretty easy to do, a few clicks, wait, and it’s done

RMiranda

RMiranda

Dec 13, 2012, 2:50:20 AM via Website

Sweet! Backup is taking a long time...will finish the rest tomorrow and post the result.
Thanks for the help ;)

Ron333

Dec 13, 2012, 3:01:09 AM via Website

I will be glad to know the result... it may be a few days before you can be certain your wifi is now operating normally

RMiranda

RMiranda

Dec 14, 2012, 11:39:21 AM via Website

It all went well, i tested one time(going from college wifi, to my home wifi) no problem. But now it's happening again, but i think found the cause.
It's a conjunction of the update, the device itself, and this App: (play.google.com/store > FON)
It's around the time i install and configure this app that the problems come back again, even if i uninstall it, it happens again, will try (once again) to reset the phone and don't install the app...when i've time xP

Thanks for the precious help Ron333 ;-)

Ron333

Dec 14, 2012, 1:47:29 PM via Website

I’m surprised an app from Goole store could cause that problem, even after it’s uninstalled (maybe it installed a hidden daemon that keeps running (check apps in process)). I’ve no suggestion there, except "repair" as you intend to do and see what happens... as for me, no freeze since my ICS repair, 3 days ago.
I found a lot of help in forums on various subjects, so I’m glad if can help (you among others) in return. :)

— modified on Dec 14, 2012, 1:48:05 PM

RMiranda

rachel gomez
  • Forum posts: 31

Jul 21, 2022, 6:56:31 AM via Website

Let’s see the steps we followed to fix the WiFi connection issues .

Restart Your Device:
This is the first thing you should try when troubleshooting any issue on your iPhone or iPad. Simply turn off your device and turn it back on again. This can often fix minor software glitches that may be causing problems with your WiFi connection.

Reset Your Network Settings:
If restarting your device doesn’t fix the problem, you can try resetting your networking settings. This will remove all stored WiFi passwords and other network-related information from your device. To reset your networking settings, go to Settings > General >Transfer or Reset iPhone Reset > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Update Your WiFi Router Firmware:
If you’re still having WiFi connection issues after restarting your device and resetting your networking settings, it’s possible that the problem lies with your WiFi router. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your router. You can usually check for and install updates from your router’s web-based control panel.

Turn Off VPN Connection:
If you are done with the above option and the issue still persists, as in our case, it’s time to check the VPN connection and toggle it off. In our case, the issue was fixed after we toggled off the VPN connection. To disconnect VPN, go to Settings > VPN > Toggle off the Connection if your device is connected to the VPN. Then turn the Airplane mode on and off or restart the device. Now try reconnecting the WiFi router or hotspot. Most likely, your device will get connected to the WiFi router.

Greeting,
Rachel Gomez