Samsung Galaxy S3 — "Not registered on network" + stuck in Factory Mode ON - no solution works

• Replies:21
Ion Antonescu
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 4:08:53 AM via Website

Initial state(stock 4.0.4. ROM):
  • Device was working properly;
  • Could call, could use 3G internet;
  • Everything was good.

After CWM zip installing FoxHound ROM:

Simptoms:
  • Could not call; for every GSM/3G interogation to telecom operator I get: "Not registered on network";
  • In my pursuite to fix this, I don't know how, now my device ended in Factory Mode(a yellow box with some debug information appears on my screen and the power button now instantly shutsdown the device and no lock screen available).
  • The IMEI returned by *#06# is different by the one on the back of the device. It's not a generic one "000...", it almost looks like the original, both seem to be valid after some search, but this is odd. I don't know if it was different before installing FoxHound ... never cared.

What I've tried to do:
  • I've actually feasted on half of internet for a solution to my problems;
  • I've tried to flash with Odin tons of stock firmwares, modems, CSCs, including well known ones, my operator ones(Cosmote), my country ones(Romania) -> no luck;
  • I've tried to restore previous nandroid backups -> no luck;
  • I've tried to CWM zip install custom ROMs -> no luck;
  • I've tried everytime to wipe cache, factory reset, delete dalvik, fix permissions, reset battery stats -> no luck;
  • I've tried all the solutions for the "Factory Mode On" problem, including "echo -n ON > /efs/imei/keystr; chown 1001:1001 /efs/imei/keystr" -> no luck;
  • I don't have an /efs/ backup before installing FoxHound.
  • Used GalaxSim, everything was green, no unlock needed.

My device is still in the same condition. No one has an answer. Do you have a solution?

pcaruba
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 4, 2013, 3:39:08 PM via Website

Hi,

did you ever fix this?
I have exactly the same problem.. after a firmware upgrade the device doesn't connect to the network anymore even after restoring to the original state.

PC

Jim

Jan 15, 2013, 2:42:09 AM via Website

I'm in the same boat. I have literally over 16hrs trying to get my I747 back working correctly. All stared when I tried "Hellfire" rom. I have had my phone rooted running custom roms for over 6 months with no problem. After flashing the "Hellfire" rom I noticed that I was stuck on "EDGE" network, unable to make or receive phone call or text. After further inspection, I noticed I had "0" for an IMEI#. So I injected my IMEI back on the phone... Still the same problem. I reverted back to stock ROM, Kernel, and Modem... Same problem stuck on "EDGE" network. Several hours later of no stop research, I noticed that my "ERI version Not available". After research noticed that my "efs" folder was missing the ".nv_data" file. Then I backed up the "efs" folder, saved it to my extSD, and then deleted the "efs" folder for the root of the phone. Now I'm in "Factory Mode" even after replacing my backed up "efs" folder with the new one that was created at the root of my Internal sd.

I need help... If anyone has any ideas... I don't want a $350 paper weight (tho...I do like the Galaxy Note 2)

pcaruba

Jan 16, 2013, 4:12:23 PM via Website

Hi,

I followed the instructions on this post and fixed the problem.
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1918601&highlight=unlock

Good luck
PC

pcaruba

Jan 16, 2013, 4:21:00 PM via Website

About how to revert the factory mode to user mode.. this worked for me

# echo -n ON > /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

(and yes ON is the correct setting to turn it off)

You can use also root explorer and edit the file factorymode, add ON save and close it

Jim

Jan 22, 2013, 3:56:55 AM via Website

I attempted to try this, but it's not for my model I747. When I try and install the apk I get, Phone Model--- Not Proper warning!!! Your phone model not GT-19300, gt-N7100 (SIII - Note II international) not to use the application.

And then my only option is to "EXIT" the app. :( I noticed that at rest, my phone will have full bars or EDGE network and when I try and place a call, instantly "EDGE" network goes way and returns when the call cannot be completed (as if I was a T-Moblie customer)

Jim

Jan 22, 2013, 3:59:55 AM via Website

Thanks, I had tried this many times with no susses. But I got it to work when I used a "Root file explorer" and a "text editor" then typed "ON" and then I did a reboot.

S3 frustration
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 30, 2013, 4:17:24 AM via Website

pcaruba
About how to revert the factory mode to user mode.. this worked for me

# echo -n ON > /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

(and yes ON is the correct setting to turn it off)

You can use also root explorer and edit the file factorymode, add ON save and close it

hi,

I've downloaded Root Explorer but I cannot find the factorymode file to add ON to it, can you assist pleasseee???
Thanks

S3 frustration

Feb 1, 2013, 3:33:36 PM via Website

Jim
Thanks, I had tried this many times with no susses. But I got it to work when I used a "Root file explorer" and a "text editor" then typed "ON" and then I did a reboot.

You had to root the phone in order to add the file to the Factory folder?

RamonV

Jun 22, 2013, 10:35:24 AM via Website

Hi everybody!

i have the same problem with a friends S3, it bootlooped for some weird reason (he just uses stock ROM, no idea why it happend)
me being the geeky guy ofcourse said i could fix it for him. Well i was right, fixing his phone was just as easy as flashing stock ROM via Odin (i am a Sony user so it took some getting used to.)

the problem i'm having now is just the same as you guys described here, problem is, when i manually do what you said (make the directory's and the file with ON in it) it works for that session, but if i reboot everything (including the made directory's) is gone and i (ofcourse) am back in factory mode...

I hope any of you guys know of a solution, thanks!

Alimatu Niange
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 22, 2013, 1:15:42 PM via Website

Keep trying

RamonV

Jun 22, 2013, 6:06:07 PM via Website

Alimatu Niange
Keep trying

Well i tryed it about 12 times already... i don't think its going to work ;(

it's actually pretty weird, instead of needing to reboot for it to work, it only works for the current session.

— modified on Jun 22, 2013, 6:06:32 PM

Nishanth Reddy

Aug 21, 2013, 12:17:03 PM via Website

First stop freaking out!
There is an xda thread to come out of factory mode.
Download Android Terminal Emulator from play store!(Requires Root)
Then type this:
su
rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
reboot
Once you are out of factory mode got to the Authorized samsung service center and ask them to rewrite your imei number.
They may tell you that a motherboard replacement is required but dont agree! Ask them to re write imei using the software they already have!
I have got it done twicw and it costs around $3!

Robert Felix

Nov 27, 2013, 8:45:57 PM via Website

Thanks alot (Nishanth Reddy) :) I was searching form after form and tried all kinds of solutions but nothing worked, then I saw ur post and tried ur solution and it worked so I had to make an account just to thank you. So thank you once again. P.s. im on galaxy s4 4.2.2 jelly bean sgh-m919

Nishanth Reddy
First stop freaking out!
Then type this:
su
reboot
Once you are out of factory mode got to the Authorized samsung service center and ask them to rewrite your imei number.
They may tell you that a motherboard replacement is required but dont agree! Ask them to re write imei using the software they already have!

Fabián Tribiños
  • Forum posts: 6

Dec 7, 2013, 11:46:42 PM via Website

dude i got the same problem

Fabián Tribiños
  • Forum posts: 6

Dec 7, 2013, 11:57:57 PM via Website

Nishanth Reddy
First stop freaking out!
Then type this:
su
reboot

hey guys I need some help, i got my s3 international version, it was in the 4.1.2 android version, i connected to kies and it said that there was an update available, i updated it, but nothing changed, apart from some "la fleur" stuff which is pretty femenine by the way, that appears everytime that i turn on my phone, i had my phone rooted, but then i decided to unroot it with triangle away, reset counters, i dont know how to re-root the phone i tried to do it but at the end of the process it always showed fail, it doesnt recognize the microsim, pleease guys i really need your help! idk what to do!

toby stahl

Jan 17, 2014, 2:18:54 AM via Website

hi guys i have the same problem NOT REGISTERED ON NETWORK iv looked everywhere for months my sgh 1747m does not work with ariza path people claim that it works with s3 t999 and note models my phone worked good untill i updated it is there no simple fix i dont want to experiment by turning of my factory mode or try flashing a bunch of ramdom costum roms please help THANKS A MILLION

Tute Orozco

Apr 7, 2014, 5:54:03 PM via Website

Hello, I own a S4 SGH- M919 with KK 4.4.2 and the issue is coming from the dial to touch a few things to unlock and I erased the nv_data.bak nv_data.bak.md5 nv_ta.bin nv_data.bin.md5 files. Have in the EFS folder is not any previous backup and when I turn the SIM since tells me to insert the unlock code , the good thing is that the IMEI is fine , I listed all digits (vi in other cases it appears to them " null / null " if I my question is how to recover these files nv : data and others, as I set the root explorer and there are ,IMEI I 'm NOT corrupt (or at least I think ) but if you can please give me a hand I would appreciate it !

MY PHONE IS SOLUTION ? ?

PS: when I say " insert unlock code is the PUK code or the code that gives you the operator to release the phone ?

Marc Luchejko

Apr 21, 2014, 8:10:02 PM via Website

Jim

I'm in the same boat. I have literally over 16hrs trying to get my I747 back working correctly. All stared when I tried "Hellfire" rom. I have had my phone rooted running custom roms for over 6 months with no problem. After flashing the "Hellfire" rom I noticed that I was stuck on "EDGE" network, unable to make or receive phone call or text. After further inspection, I noticed I had "0" for an IMEI#. So I injected my IMEI back on the phone... Still the same problem. I reverted back to stock ROM, Kernel, and Modem... Same problem stuck on "EDGE" network. Several hours later of no stop research, I noticed that my "ERI version Not available". After research noticed that my "efs" folder was missing the ".nv_data" file. Then I backed up the "efs" folder, saved it to my extSD, and then deleted the "efs" folder for the root of the phone. Now I'm in "Factory Mode" even after replacing my backed up "efs" folder with the new one that was created at the root of my Internal sd.

I need help... If anyone has any ideas... I don't want a $350 paper weight (tho...I do like the Galaxy Note 2)

Any luck? I am still stuck with Edge!!! Please help. You explained my problem exactly like it is. I really need help. Thanks

Teresa FOgarty

May 25, 2014, 5:07:24 AM via Website

Can someone please help..I am new to this. You buy a phone thinking your gonna get a new phone? Gaxaly S3 (At&t) running off straight talk. I turn the phone on it has 4G then in 5 minutes drops to " G" then a few more minutes drops to "E" it will stay in "E" for awhile but if you go under ABOUT PHONE it says Mobile network type "Edge" but at times it will say "Not Connected" then MOBILE NETWORK STATE will say disconnected..I have not done anything to the phone...Just get it set my APN for Straight talk. How I found out the phone was not new was I called samsung to tech shoot it and they told me the warranty was expired. Nice surprise after spending 324.00 ....Anyways it seems to be working except for it being in "E" all the time and I can't send text ot anything..I am ready to cry...I would never spend that much money for a Used phone...From the things I see it is scary that someone may have owned this phone and tried to do stuff and messed it up and took it back then ME know nothing about phone get it and now they- Place I bought it from" Are saying it is my network provider. ..Please now I am stuck with a phone that I never got to use..

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 26, 2014, 8:21:49 AM via Website

@teresa that is just so sad :'( well, why don't you return it back to the place where you purchased it from? I am sure if the warranty is expired device is behaving insanely then I am sure after a while It will stop working. Just to to the place where you get the device from and throw it over to the place where you get it, I am sure you might be having the documents to claim that they have sell you a bad :devil: device.