How do you monetize your Apps?

• Replies:25
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

May 21, 2013 2:48:07 PM via Website

Hi guys. Sorry if there are thousand similar threadsm but anyway...
How do you monetize your apps? Which networks do you use and why?

Waiting for your replies.

May 21, 2013 6:28:31 PM via Website

I monetize my apps advertising other apps inside mine.

I've tried Airpush at the beginning, but it brought me a few problems with users as regards the notifications.

A few weeks ago, I start using a relatively new Ad-Network called mobilecore in 2 apps. I'm currently using their interstitial ad & icon ad; but I know they have just launched a tool that is like a slider.
Basically I'm monetizing with them cos most of my users are from Tier I (difficult region), and I'm doing a $2,5-3,2 weekly eCPM, that is a lot.

There are two other apps in which I use Leadbolt. They were providing me also a good eCPM between $1-1,5 in Middle East with the VideoAd & the Advanced Overlays.

Hope you find my opinion helpful ;)

May 23, 2013 9:24:32 AM via Website

You could try selling it on Google and Amazon as paid apps, or by putting ads in the apps, you could get money from the clicks.

Recently, I've submitted an app to a foreign company for distribution on STBs. They pay for the copy of each app used on an STB. You might want to try it. Since I can't post links now, you could google the company called Nevron and click on their news link. They're still looking for developer submissions.

Aug 19, 2013 3:50:26 PM via Website

I'm monetizing with Epom market. They have proper ads that actually lead to conversions, because previous network I've been with had awful quality of banners, they just ruined my app :)
Epom's SDK is super easy to implement, plus they have friendly support that can help you with implementation in case you aren't so enlightened :)
AirPush is pretty OK for me too, though I'm not always with ad's quality.
AirPush gives me ~1.5$ eCPM, Epom's ~2$ eCPM.

Nov 25, 2013 4:39:02 AM via Website

I'm wanting to find out more about everyones monetization strategies. With the the current monetization models in use, is there anything that you would want to change or make different. If there was a non-intrusive way to monetize your app that was also relevant to your users, would this be of interest to you all?

Nov 25, 2013 10:37:25 AM via Website

Aleta Hunt
I'm wanting to find out more about everyones monetization strategies. With the the current monetization models in use, is there anything that you would want to change or make different. If there was a non-intrusive way to monetize your app that was also relevant to your users, would this be of interest to you all?

Hello Aleta

You have three major options to monetize when it comes to your mobile app.

1. You can use mobile ads. Many apps use this method of monetizing. You can partner with a mobile ad company like InMobi, Millenial, Chartboost etc that will serve ads on your app. Based on number of impressions/clicks you get you will get paid. I suggest you read up on terms like CPM, CPC etc

2. You can use In-App Purchases or the Freemium model. This depends on the type of app of course. If yours is a game, you can charge for more levels, power-up packs etc. Alternately you can offer basic features for free and unlock pro features for a small fee. This is a great method of monetizing as its not intrusive and also people don't mind paying for something they already prefer using.

3. You can always just have a paid app. Be warned though: Unless your app offers unique or great functionality most people won't go in for this. Also, 30% of what you charge will go to Apple/Android.

Let me know if you would like any more details or more help. I'm happy to share any info :)

Nov 25, 2013 10:43:28 AM via Website

Paul Banks
Hi guys. Sorry if there are thousand similar threadsm but anyway...
How do you monetize your apps? Which networks do you use and why?

Waiting for your replies.

Here is some info about ad networks you can use:

InMobi : The world's largest independent ad network, they offer high CTRs as well as built-in analytics.
Chartboost: They have high CTRs and CVRs due to the use of high-converting ad formats
Ad Mob: A Google product, their self-serve model is very good.
Millenial Media: They recently acquired Jumptap (another ad network). Their audience targeting options are quite advanced
TapJoy: They have incentivized ad solutions which result in a large no. of app downloads.

Nov 26, 2013 1:28:14 AM via Website

Hi Sohan,

Thanks for your reply!

It seems like you have a lot of knowledge and experience when it comes to App monetization! Do you have an App yourself? It would be great to take a look at it!

— modified on Nov 26, 2013 1:28:37 AM

Nov 26, 2013 9:49:14 AM via Website

Aleta Hunt
Hi Sohan,

Thanks for your reply!

It seems like you have a lot of knowledge and experience when it comes to App monetization! Do you have an App yourself? It would be great to take a look at it!

Thanks Aleta :)
I have few apps on the app store but none of them have any ads! All free apps. I do work in the industry though so I know the nuances.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them :)

Dec 18, 2013 3:45:22 PM via Website

You can also give a try to Pollfish. Pollfish introduced a new innovative method that pays 10-20x more than classic advertising methods for monetizing mobile apps. It offers minimal intrusion and high payouts to the developers!

Feb 19, 2014 3:15:42 PM via Website

there are so many ad networks out there airpush,leadbolt, startapp

PM me to find more ways to monetize your android app......i can get you more solutions!

Apr 6, 2014 9:53:42 AM via Website

Hello , i use :

Tap for Tap (full screen ads)
Revmod (full screen ads)
Vungle (video ads)

I think Vungle works better.Btw i make only games.

Apr 23, 2014 10:57:28 PM via Website

Genelixis

Hello , i use :

Tap for Tap (full screen ads) Revmod (full screen ads) Vungle (video ads)

I think Vungle works better.Btw i make only games.

Did you try AdMob for comparison with those?

Apr 27, 2014 4:57:31 AM via Website

Hi All, My company is developing a product that improves eCPM results generated by various ad networks. The way it works is by analyzing different signals within the phone, predicting (with very high accuracy) the demographics of the phone owner, and passing it within the ad request. This results in better ad targeting from the ad netwokrs, and thus better CTRs and eCPMs. I'm wondering if there are any developers here who would like to try our product. If yes, you can reply here or directly to me.

Roee

(P.S. I'm not mentioning my company name, since we're yet to go public with the product).

May 28, 2014 9:53:50 AM via Website

Hi Guys, I've been wondering what SDKs do you use to monetize your apps? Which ones did you integrate before and have had experience with? There are any different ones based on CPI, CPC, CPM models promoted by various ad networks.
Which ones proved to be the most profitable for you these days?

— modified on May 28, 2014 9:54:18 AM