My Samsung Nexus is infected

• Replies:5
Bob Grier
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 25, 2013, 2:26:13 PM via Website

About a week ago my Nexus became infected. I believe it came about by agreeing to a Jellybean update, but I'm not sure. The symptoms are thus:
1) Several times a day, ads appear on my screen advising me that my phone is infected and to sign up for this company's anti-virus software, or to boost my phones processing speed with their software, etc
2) an Icon appeared on my screen ( which can't be removed and always "on top" of everything) When clicked on, it has a Facebook icon, Twitter icon, and an Apps icon which offers a list of various apps, which I imagine I can purchase.
Does anyone know how I can clear my phone of this pesky problem ?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 25, 2013, 5:50:23 PM via Website

Yeah, it sounds like it's more than likely a dodgy app install that's snuck some unfriendly stuff onto your device. If removing any apps you installed just before the problems appeared doesn't help, then do a factory reset (after you save any important information you have on your phone).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Bob Grier

Jul 25, 2013, 11:46:43 PM via Website

Thanks to my responders. i had considered "factory reset" a last resort but went ahead and did it. It then retrieved all my apps, phone #s , photos etc. I had to reload my music so it was a bit of a project. Things were looking good until it asked me if I wanted to re-launch Jellybean and went it did so, poof, there was that irremovable icon and those ads started again ! I went though the whole factory reset and recovery again but this time didnt launch with Jellybean and it was all right. Does this mean there's something wrong with my Jellybean launcher? How do I deal with that?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 26, 2013, 5:45:54 PM via Website

Woah, nice detective work Bob! Sorry you had to go through the whole process twice though. At least now you've nailed down the problem. It indeed sounds like your Jelly Bean update was the problem. Where did you get it from? Was it from the Play Store or direct from your device manufacturer?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Bob Grier

Jul 26, 2013, 7:17:02 PM via Website

Hi Kris,
Thanks for getting back to me. I believe it was from Play Store, it appeared in the "pull down" menu at the top of the phone's screen. I honestly don't remember if I had to "agree" to the update or it started automatically like some of them do. I AM sure it was a Jellybean update and my problems started after that. Incidentally, my provider is Fido, as I am in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Thanks again for taking interest in my problem.