Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:112
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Aug 1, 2013 6:22:15 PM via Website

Performing a Hard Reset on your device is simple as pie. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings, but leaves the contents of your internal SDcard intact.

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Hard Reset for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
  1. Turn your phone off.
  2. With the phone off, press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key. You'll see the Android recovery screen.
  3. Scroll to Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the Volume Up or Down keys. Select with the power key.
  4. Scroll down to Yes, Delete User Data and select it.
  5. Back on the first screen, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select it.
  6. Your factory reset is now complete.
  7. Go to Reboot System Now to restart the phone.
Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

— modified on Apr 2, 2014 3:50:56 PM by moderator

Aug 1, 2013 6:48:24 PM via Website

You can also perform a Factory Reset from within the menu settings:

Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset > Reset device > Erase everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first!

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

— modified on Aug 1, 2013 6:58:06 PM

Aug 5, 2013 10:32:04 AM via Website

Hi Kay Zee, the most common reason to reset is to try to fix performance issues or to clean out your phone. For example, when you delete apps or move them to SD storage, you might still have random bits left over, a reset will clear all those out, giving you a fresh phone. Also, sometimes the only way to get rid of adware or malware problems is to do a factory reset. It's also not a bad idea to do a factory reset every now and then just to keep your phone running at it's best.

— modified on Nov 21, 2013 11:31:10 AM

Aug 7, 2013 12:05:41 PM via Website

What do you recommend in terms of taking back up. I would prefer a non rooted answer. I'm using Mobile Go and pretty satisfied with it.
What's your take?

Aug 7, 2013 12:10:45 PM via Website

Hey Asif!

There are some apps out there which are quite good for backing up your data. A good one I know is Carbon (not the Twitter client). Here in our blog, we explain how to use this with AND without rooting your phone. Hope that this helps!

Cheers!

Oct 20, 2013 12:01:57 AM via Website

Hi !! I have Sumsung galaxy note 2 phone and it keep restarting so i cant use it. I wanted to hard reset i tried to reset using your recomendation but its not working. Even when i turn off the phone it keep back on by itself. Is there anything else i can do? Please i need help.

Oct 21, 2013 6:07:22 PM via Website

Hi @Hana, let me get this straight: your Note 2 keeps turning off and back on, regardless of whether it is turned on or off in the first place? This is a major problem and sounds like you might have internal hardware problems. If a Hard Reset isn't even solving the problem you might need to contact Samsung directly, because this is no normal problem.

Nov 7, 2013 6:40:58 AM via Website

Hi I have a Note 2 and few weeks ago it doesn't turn the screen I think its the accelerator but Im not sure. Please help me what can I do?

Nov 7, 2013 11:43:29 AM via Website

Hi @Luis, did anything happen to the device (like dropping it or getting it wet?). If not, try hard resetting it, and if the display doesn't work at all during this process you might be facing a dead screen. In that case you'd need to contact the manufacturer or the place you bought it from and see what can be done. Has anyone else had this type of problem with their Note 2?

Nov 14, 2013 9:16:42 PM via Website

For the past week or so my phone battery life has been horrid. Even while charging the battery depletes at an alarming rate. I have switched chargers to see if that is the issue and ordered a new battery but I am wondering if a factory or hard reset may help in any way.

Nov 15, 2013 10:42:16 AM via Website

Hi @Natalie, it could be the case that your Note 2 battery has simply given up the ghost, although usually you should get two to three years out of a battery. But if you're on your Note 2 all the time and have put it through a lot of charge cycles then it will die sooner rather than later. So it's probably good that you've ordered a new battery although battery life diminishes over time, not usually within a week. You could try a Factory Reset (which would be a good idea prior to putting the new battery in) to clear out any gremlins that might be lurking in your system. That, combined with a new battery should have your Note 2 working at the best level possbile. Just make sure you do a backup of all your data before you reset! let me know if the problem persists even with the new battery.

Nov 15, 2013 4:51:19 PM via Website

Hi, I have some problems with my Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
while i use my phone, suddenly it's turn black. And I can't turn it on.
I can't hard reset my phone too.

If I press the power button, i can see the screen turn lighter for 1-2 seconds, even it still blank.
Can you tell me what happend with my phone?

Nov 17, 2013 5:34:44 PM via Website

Hi, I have a note 2 that my friend rooted for me. He told me it would make it better, but its made it slower and I cant up date my software. If I do this hard reset, as the phone is now, will it work? Or do I have to unroot it first?

Nov 19, 2013 12:43:27 PM via Website

Hi @Nick, rooting your phone doesn't speed up your device - it just gives you access to do the kinds of things that could speed up your device. If you want to unroot your Note 2 there's a good few examples on this thread at XDA Developers. Hard resetting will simply wipe everything from your Note 2 and will, in general, clear up the majority of lags and other performance issues on a device that hasn't been in use for a while.

Nov 19, 2013 12:46:19 PM via Website

Hi @Kuro - is the device getting sufficient power? What you're describing sounds like the battery is completely dead and thus can't power the screen, except for a second or two when you hit the power button. Have you tried turning it on when it connected to the wall socket/power outlet? Other than that I'm not sure what the problem might be. What happens when you do the button combination for a Hard Reset? Do you get to the Recovery screen? Or is it just black all the time?

Nov 19, 2013 2:59:56 PM via Website

Hi, I want to reset my Note 2 to get rid of bugs that keep making the screen stop responding among other thing, and I probably just want to use hard reset so I know everything will be in place. My question is what is ment by "you can't use files from SD-card after reset to fabricsettings (or factory-?)". This (or something like this (it is in Norwegian)) is what it says when I enter the reset settings. It says the reset will remove the key for decrypting files at the SD-card. Does it mean my SD-card won't work after a reset, at all? I know all my files will be gone, but I want my SD-card to work :p

Nov 20, 2013 9:31:13 AM via Website

Hi, I have a 2 week old note 2 that's already giving me some issues. 1.One of which is that the screen doesn't timeout sometimes. This seems to be random as it happened on various screens (open apps as well as while on the home screen). I tried looking at the apps with wake lock options and don't see anything out of the ordinary. I had another note 2 prior to this new one and had the same apps installed on it, but it never gave me this screen issue. 2.Also, sometimes when I swipe the screen on the lock screen to answer an incoming call, it hangs up instead picking up, and once the screen even froze (I swiped and nothing happened). 3. Lastly I used an app called USER DICTIONARY to add words I often use to the phone, my previous Note 2 keyboards picks up all the new words I added, but this new phone doesn't. I think there r a couple of other small glitches but I can't remember right now. It just seems this phone is very buggy compared to the previous one I had, unfortunately that one was stolen :(
Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2013 5:56:37 PM via Website

Hi @Camila, you are correct, if you perform a Hard Reset you will lose all data on your internal memory because the encryption key will be lost too - meaning any files on there will no longer be accessible, even if you were to recover them. The simple solution is to perform a full backup using whatever system you like (app, root tool, cloud, manual backup) and then go ahead, then you can restore anything you like and be rid of any of the things that may have been causing the lags and bugs in the first place. But your SD card will still work after a Hard Reset, you will simply get a new encryption key after the Reset.

Nov 20, 2013 6:01:34 PM via Website

Hey @Christine. Where did you get the Note 2 from (second hand or retailer?) and what version of Android are you running on it? Has it updated to 4.3 yet or are you still on 4.1.2? If you are happy to do a backup you can do a reset (Factory or Hard) and start over, if you didn't do so when you got it (assuming it wasn't brand new). If it was brand new I'd simply take it back and let Samsung/the retailer deal with it. And if you haven't already updated to 4.3 hold off until you know the update is performing better than it is on the S3 and S4 (there's LOTS of issues right now!)