What retro features would you like to see on new smartphones?

• Replies:3
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 5, 2013, 9:51:31 AM via Website

So the Samsung Galaxy Folder clamshell phone has been leaked, a dual screen flip phone with standard keyboard, touchscreen and pretty nifty tech specs. What other retro features would you like to see on smartphones? Is there anything you miss?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

genesound
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 8:17:05 AM via Website

USB port(s), HDMI, and external power accessible at the same time. Better voice command recognition, faster with fewer errors.

Better printer support.

More diverse sound card and sound paths and controls, ie. ability to use 2 or more sound cards simultaneously for different functions and different output paths/connections such as USB, headphone, HDMI, phone conversation/remote device, bluetooth, wifi destination, . Ability to send more than one sound stream into one or more sound card(s), via software app mixer and destination distribution. Better control of sound streams so one output can be fed phone audio and music audio or video playback audio, and also ability to feed music and video playback audio to phone audio (mixing). Real versatility available with perhaps low cost optional add-on accessories that are also supported in PC market.

Easy patch ability into and out of external VOIP (should probably be possible via capabilities as above) so cellular calls can be easily patched to VOIP, and vice versa. Would enable flexible studio linking.

Higher quality cell to cell audio format at the cost of greater data quantum delay, for time delayed high quality audio file transmission from cell to cell over the high quality accessory usb sound cards. Possibly similar implementation of expanded video transmission; high quality, high frame rate video for re-compressing to normal time rate after transmission. Useful where cellular is available, but other facilities are limited, or as a low cost transmission alternative using delayed transmission. Such abilities could be available via add-on usb accessories, if basic hardware, pathways, and add-on capabilities were included on basic smartphones and their OS implementation.

— modified on Aug 6, 2013, 8:58:42 AM

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 23, 2013, 5:08:03 AM via App

Flip phones were great, especially for ease of stashing in a pocket (or in your bra on a night out). I really miss led notification lights. The ability to turn the ringing volume to silent but still have your text alert play

Mikhail Seletkoff
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 9:50:24 AM via Website

I liked when my phone had a screw hole on the back I could just screw a clip into (included with the phone) for my belt or bag. I don't like needing to buy a case for that now.