Samsung Galaxy S3 — WhatsApp & camera issue

• Replies:0
Cali Pellegrini
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 9, 2013, 8:48:16 PM via Website

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'd really like to solve this.

I have WhatsApp on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I use it everyday and I usually send and receive a lot of pictures, and sometimes videos too.

The default phone camera names each new file in a YYYYMMDD_hhmmss format and it also creates EXIF data on the pictures. Pictures on WhatsApp are renamed with the format YYYYMMDD-WA0000x and the program removes ALL EXIF data from the files.

This is VERY annoying. I like transferring all pictures from my phone to my computer from time to time, and I want to keep neat folders with files correctly organized by date and time, but sometimes it's impossible.

It's not much of a problem when I take a picture with the phone camera app, NOT directly inside the WhatsApp app, and then I send it through WhatsApp, since although WhatsApp does create a no-EXIF, renamed duplicate of that picture, the original camera picture is still stored in the phone camera folder with its original filename and EXIF data.

The problem comes when I am on a WhatsApp conversation and I choose "Send photo" directly from the app. The pictures I take that way are NOT stored in the phone camera folder, they're only stored in the WhatsApp image folder, with its annoying filename format and its lack of EXIF data. Naturally, the same happens to any picture or video I receive through WhatsApp, annoying filename and no EXIF data.

I would like to know how I can solve this situation. The ideal would be to find a way for ANY picture I take with the camera, be it from the camera app or WhatsApp or any app, to be stored with its original filename and EXIF data in the phone camera folder; AND a way to automatically rename any picture or video I receive on WhatsApp to reflect AT LEAST the time it was originally sent to me, if EXIF data for original creation date is not available.

I hope to have made myself clear, and I'm looking forward to your help!

Thank you guys very much!