How to Hard Reset your Google Nexus 7 (2013)

• Replies:16
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Aug 13, 2013 6:41:20 PM via Website

Performing a Hard Reset on your device is simple as pie. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact.

Hard Reset
Restores a tabletto its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Have you already tried to Factory Reset first? If not, the tutorial is here . If this hasn't solved the problem, let's proceed with the Hard Reset for the Google Nexus 7 (2013).

Turn your tablet off.
With the tablet off, press and hold the Power key, then press and hold the Volume Down key. Scroll down twice to select Recovery.
Select with the power key.
You'll see the Android pop up, then while holding down Power, press Volume Up.
Use the volume keys to scroll to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and press Power to select it.
Scroll down to "Yes - Erase All User Data" and press Power to select it.
Your Hard Reset is now complete.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

— modified on May 23, 2014 10:28:40 AM by moderator

Aug 26, 2013 2:37:26 PM via Website

Kris,

I tried holding power and volume up but it didn't give me any option other than starting back to the Android logo with an exclamation mark.
What did I do wrong? Please help. Thanks.

Regards,
Christopher

Sep 2, 2013 6:04:54 PM via Website

Hey Christopher, sometimes the key combination can be a little tricky, but I assure you it does work. Just try it a few times, either pressing both at the same time, or the Volume button first and then the Power Button etc. I've also heard that pressing both Volume keys will get you the same result but I haven't tried this method. Google's page says Power first, then Volume Up - you get the idea! Once you're in Recovery Mode you should be able to see the available options and scroll to them with the Volume keys.

— modified on Sep 2, 2013 6:08:49 PM

Nov 12, 2013 1:57:28 PM via Website

Kris,

I need to reset my Nexus 7 but I am not getting the desired results. In layman's terms, I want my tablet reset to how it was when I first got it. First I tried the Factory Reset option through the settings. When that did not work, I tried the hard reset though recovery mode. Both reset attempts do erase all apps, user data, etc...but not completely. What I mean is, under the storage option in the settings i only still have 9GB of available storage space. Using the file manager app already installed, I noticed nothing was erased form the internal storage or USB storage. Can you please point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks is advance.

Regards,
Daniel C.

Tech-Spechs;
Google Nexus 7 2013, 32GB (rooted)
Android 4.2.2
CyanogenMod ver 10.1.3
CWM Recovery

Nov 13, 2013 12:39:23 PM via Website

Hey @Daniel, you only have 9 GB of storage available on a 32 GB Nexus 7 AFTER hard resetting? Something is definitely amiss. A factory reset will only clear apps and data but leave your SDcard contents untouched, so that would explain it, but not if you did a hard reset through the recovery menu. I'm a little confused that you say apps and data are deleted but nothing is deleted from internal storage. What is left there if not apps and data? And what USB storage are you talking about? Resetting only affects your device, not any peripherals attached to it.

In any case, sometimes during the reset process everything doesn't go entirely to plan, so when in recovery mode you can also do some additional wiping yourself. Just go into the format options and clear data, system and cache etc. If this still doesn't work, we can look into it a little further.

Dec 5, 2013 1:10:00 AM via Website

Help!!!! I have a 2012 nexus 7 tablet, wifi only. Yesterday, I made the mistake of updating to the new kitkat OD. My tablet is apparently rooted or modified...whatever my husband decided to do. Now it won't boot! It gets stuck on the animation screen. I tried a hard reset but the same thing happened when the device booted up. Can anyone tell me how to get it back to the way it was?

Dec 5, 2013 1:04:13 PM via Website

Hi @DM31, there's a few things you can do. In order of increasing difficulty:

1. Hold the Power button down for as long as it takes for the device to restart. Sometimes that's all you need to do.

2. Press and hold the Power button with the Volume Down button until it reboots.

3. Get into the Recovery Menu (as explained in the start of this thread) and add the step of clearing the cache as well. There's a few caches options to clear. But before you do this make sure you have all your data backed up because this will of course wipe everything.

Dec 19, 2013 9:29:39 PM via Website

Hello,

I have been trying to do a hard reset following all your instructions--unsuccessfully. (I kept getting application crash notifications whenever I woke up my Nexus 7).

I have been holding the power button down while pressing the volume down button simultaneously. But when I get the option of entering recovery mode (and pressing the power button), all I get is small green robot icon and a "no command" (plus small red exclamation mark). Then it is stuck, nothing else happens.

So I never am able to enter recovery mode or have the option of erasing everything on the Nexus 7.

I am stumped. Any suggestions. My Nexus 7 seems stuck.

Dec 30, 2013 3:55:57 AM via Website

Chilon Chiu
Hello,

I have been trying to do a hard reset following all your instructions--unsuccessfully. (I kept getting application crash notifications whenever I woke up my Nexus 7).

I have been holding the power button down while pressing the volume down button simultaneously. But when I get the option of entering recovery mode (and pressing the power button), all I get is small green robot icon and a "no command" (plus small red exclamation mark). Then it is stuck, nothing else happens.

So I never am able to enter recovery mode or have the option of erasing everything on the Nexus 7.

Ok so I had the same problem, this is how I fixed it: After choosing recovery mode on fast bootloader screen, I got to the Android with the exclamation point then I double clicked the power button and on the second click I held the volume up button. I was then taken to the reset screen. Hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2014 3:04:00 PM via Website

hi i have got to the same point as you describe i got to the page with the list what do i use to move down to reset tried power key tablet just powered up ?? thanks

Gordon

Jan 20, 2014 3:46:54 AM via Website

Hi,

I have tried your method and get as far as "Recovery Mode". Upon selecting this mode, my 2013 N7 restarts into Google logo. I don't get to see the icon with an exclaimation mark. Just stuck at Google logo. Regardless, I tried holding down power while pressing volume up key. The tablet just shutdown. I would like to know if there is anything else I can do. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2014 11:02:54 PM via Website

So my 7 started just restarting itself everytime I launched an app, so I tried to "factory erase" from the settings and it just restarted, so I tried a "hard reset" but when I reboot the device hasn't been wiped....all my apps and settings are still there.

Help

Raymond Wilson Jr.
Chilon Chiu
Hello,

Ok so I had the same problem, this is how I fixed it: After choosing recovery mode on fast bootloader screen, I got to the Android with the exclamation point then I double clicked the power button and on the second click I held the volume up button. I was then taken to the reset screen. Hope this helps.

Feb 12, 2014 2:30:52 PM via Website

Hello ,

My tablet was stuck on x logo and didnt want to load . I have done all the steps and restored it to factory setting but I still cant manage to turn it on ,its stuck on x logo again. Is there anything I can do ?

Izabela

Mar 19, 2014 6:59:38 PM via Website

I am able to do both the factory and hard resets without any trouble. My question is, when I don't use my tablet for a while, why do I have to reset it to use any apps? The first time, I thought Skype caused it, so I didn't reinstall it. The next time, I did not have any new downloads; my last use was for taking photos. I am not happy with having to reset it after it sits for a couple of weeks.

Jun 26, 2014 1:13:28 AM via Website

Kris
My Nexus 7 (2013) is stuck with the dead Android and the red triangle on the screen. I have tried factory reset and hard reset, both gives me nothing but a black screen. I have tried any button combination there is. Any suggestions? The problem happend with a failed update to 4.444.

Aug 20, 2014 5:55:41 AM via Website

So my nexus won't turn on at all, even when I hold the power button and the power and volume buttons together. I thought it was the charger, but the charger still works just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.