Why smartwatches suck right now

• Replies:16
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 5, 2013, 4:35:53 PM via Website

The Galaxy Gear has turned out to be a chunky, ugly brick that doesn't do half the things we all wanted it to. And for $300 it's way too expensive for a watch that doesn't even last a day without charging. The Qualcomm Toq has also just appeared, and while it's a better offering than the Samsung, it's lacking in several areas too. Let us know why you think smartwatches haven't taken off yet despite all the offerings we've seen so far. You can also share your experiences with Pebble, Sony Smartwatch and any other smartwatch you've tried.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

JaskulskiRichard Fletcher

Richard Fletcher
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 6, 2013, 12:48:55 AM via Website

Hi before you dismiss smartwatches all together I suggest you look on kickstarter at the omate stand alone waterproof dualcore running 4.2 I was an early bird so Im getting one of the first 2000 in October, I would like you to have a good look at the watch the specs esp the battery! even the way its CNC crafted not just stamped out of a sheet of metal I would really like another opinion cos to me it looks brill!

Kris Carlon

Sep 9, 2013, 11:43:27 AM via Website

Hey Richard, you're right: the Omate looks pretty darn good: waterproof, 2G/3G compatible via SIM, runs Android 4.2.2 and runs independently of a phone and couldn't possibly have a worse battery life than the Gear. Plus it looks better, more like a rugged outdoors watch than a goofy square box. And it's $199. There's a lot I'd expect a smartwatch to be and the Omate looks to have a lot of the bases covered.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Richard Fletcher

Richard Fletcher

Sep 9, 2013, 6:14:27 PM via Website

thats what I thought but the main reason to buy it was because its standalone, I suffered a massive stroke 6 years ago when I was 30 and have a lot of falls and dont always have my phone on me but this way I will always have one :grin: but I have to thank apple due to my hatred of them I bought the G1 and never looked back

Karen L.

Kris Carlon

Sep 10, 2013, 10:07:52 AM via Website

So I was at IFA yesterday and saw a whole bunch of smartwatches beyond the Galaxy Gear (which indeed is rubbish imo), and none of them were particularly useful or feature packed either. Many had the stand-alone quality going for them (which if course they must, being independent of major manufacturers), but most of them looked basically the same as the Gear or Toq - no design innovations anywhere. Some had some interesting enough features (as does the mate) but nothing blew me away at all. I think it'll be a year until we see decent smartwatches that get it right - unless of course the iWatch hits the nail on the head. If anyone can get it right first time it's Apple (sorry Android fans, but it's kinda true).

Kris Carlon

Sep 18, 2013, 8:08:13 PM via Website

Just reading some comments from my article about the Nissan Nismo Concept smartwatch and I have to say, Nissan seems to have hit the nail on the head in terms of design, according to the commenters. I personally love their design too, it's sleek and does away with that awful blocky bulk of the other watches we've been talking about lately, it's an adventurous and slick design, and they put a great looking curved display on it. I never thought I'd say it, but perhaps we should look to car manufacturers to lead the way as far as smartwatches go? Now, I just wonder what Nissan could have come up with for Google Glass?

Alex Aco
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 1:21:13 AM via App

yes i does suck. ovning a Sony smartwatch for less then 2months...I got rid of it,sold it and glad i did that. lucky i got it cheap on eBay (60€) sold it for 100€ B-) and bought a Casio G-shock ga100 :-D end of my lil story ;-)

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Nov 13, 2013, 12:44:34 PM via Website

i think they look a lot more like piece of outdated box rather then being trendy !! i am hoping that iOS comes up with totally new concept as i am listening a lot of rumors about Apple working on smart watch !!:cold::cold:

Kris Carlon

Nov 13, 2013, 12:50:43 PM via Website

Yeah, it seems like it's going to be a Google/Apple race to bring out the first truly decent smartwatch. The concept designs of Gem (Google's watch) aren't anything to get excited about, so I'm keen to see if Apple can do something that actually looks good. But even if they do, there's no way I'd switch platforms for a wrist mounted iPhone micro. I still think the Nissan Nismo Concept is the most innovative design I've seen yet.

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Nov 13, 2013, 4:56:14 PM via Website

We just published an hardware review of the Samsung Galaxy Gear and there are so many negative things about it:
  • to connect the smartwatch to the smartphone you always need the dock, because only the dock has NFC and sometimes the connection is broken
  • apps which aren't native to Samsung can be used, but not if they require Wi-Fi
  • It is really clunky
  • It is expensive!

No wonder everyone is returning it!

Joost S.

Kris Carlon

Nov 14, 2013, 12:43:24 PM via Website

I paid $150 for a Casio mountaineering watch that does all the things I want a watch to do - and it's solar powered. I wonder if solar panels are something that could power a smartwatch or if it would just be too little power for that display? But for me to get a smartwatch it'd need to be more than my current watch, offer something my smartphone doesn't and not cost as much as a new phone entirely (and work with any phone or even better: completely stand alone)

Sara Mahir
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 9, 2015, 4:46:19 PM via Website

My experience with Smartwatch has been just awesome. I have purchased Sykla smartwatch.

— modified on Jan 9, 2015, 5:26:11 PM

Karen L.

ricky martin
  • Forum posts: 166

Aug 11, 2015, 3:49:41 PM via Website

I agree with you. I also don't like Samsung Gear S. I have brought Samsung Gear S and Sony smart watch. I don't like any of them and they are really expensive. Now I am waiting for something innovative. I have heard about Block Modular Smart watch.

TotalSystemCare - Software to Care for your PC

Jose Pepe

Aug 31, 2015, 7:47:53 PM via Website

How about the Moto 360? I think they did good job on the design

ricky martin
  • Forum posts: 166

Oct 30, 2015, 10:12:54 AM via Website

Jose Pepe

How about the Moto 360? I think they did good job on the design

I think it is the time of Moto 360 II or Modular smart watch.
What do you think?

TotalSystemCare - Software to Care for your PC