Essential Android Accessories

• Replies:44
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 20, 2013, 11:09:10 AM via Website

I think there's a few must-have accessories for every Android phone: from a spare battery or protective case (unless you like to live dangerously like me) to a spare charger cable/car charger or external speaker/dock. We want to know what other accessories you think are essential to your Android smartphone.

— modified on Sep 20, 2013, 11:13:40 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

damponting44

Kris Carlon

Sep 20, 2013, 11:13:01 AM via Website

Actually, I'll start us off with the Kickstarter project Pressy: a tiny physical button that fits in your headphone jack, and that can be configured to do anything you want. One click, long press, double and triple clicks, there's a whole bunch of stuff this simple, but immensely clever, accessory can do. And at $20-odd bucks, it's soon to be a must-have for me.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

damponting44

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Sep 20, 2013, 11:54:02 AM via Website

Since we are talking about Kickstarter projects, I really like my Keyprop, a super cheap but super innovative and simple idea. Basically it is a plastic key which fits into your headphone jack and props up your phone for when you want to take a timed pic, our read a newspaper while drinking your morning coffee. It fits right on your keyring too so it's not too clunky and can be with you at all time.

I'm about to ''test'' the little thing out for our gadget of the week, so stayed tuned if this is something you are interested in knowing more about!

— modified on Sep 23, 2013, 3:17:53 PM

damponting44

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 20, 2013, 10:48:38 PM via Website

Call me old fashion, you'll almost always find me using my blue tooth keyboard and mouse with my Note. No, it may not be necessary or a must have. I just like to make it as much like a computer as possible (certainly has enough processing power to be one). I'm also a bit of a neat freak when it comes to keeping my screen clean.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

damponting44

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Sep 21, 2013, 5:24:57 PM via Website

well I always have my 2 spare betteries for my Note2 with me (especially for long train trips), not to forget my 64GB microSDXC for my videos and and every new android device gets an anti-reflective screen protector. also a flip cover and/or a case shouldn't be forgotten.

and sometimes I have my bluetooth keyboard for longer messaging...

— modified on Sep 21, 2013, 5:25:36 PM

MFG/Regards My1

damponting44

Amy R.

Sep 23, 2013, 2:05:30 AM via App

Don't forget zap chargers (can't remember the actual name if it). Always use it when I go on long trips. It's convenient to be able to charge your device in 3 seconds rather than 4 hours. Do most of my battery draining on holiday.

damponting44

My1

Sep 23, 2013, 7:24:53 AM via Website

3 seconds? not for real...

MFG/Regards My1

damponting44

Kris Carlon

Sep 23, 2013, 3:23:49 PM via Website

I haven't heard about a 3-second charger, but Eesha Khare won the Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award a little while back for a supercapacitor that'll do the job in 20-30 seconds and apparently last 10,000 cycles. She's off to Harvard, so we'll probably see more from her in the near future. Either way, I think a rapid charger of any description is a worthy addition to this list!

— modified on Sep 23, 2013, 3:24:36 PM

Robert Rollo
  • Forum posts: 14

Sep 23, 2013, 7:38:51 PM via Website

[quote=Kris Carlon]I think there's a few must-have accessories for every Android phone: from a spare battery or protective case (unless you like to live dangerously like me) to a spare charger cable/car charger or external speaker/dock. We want to know what other accessories you think are essential to your Android portable charger(battery pack) small bluetooth speaker.

— modified on Sep 23, 2013, 7:41:07 PM

Amy R.

Sep 23, 2013, 10:08:59 PM via Website

Sorry for the exaggeration Philip and Kris. It is much faster than waiting all night for your device to charge. rapid charger.....................

My1

Sep 23, 2013, 11:03:59 PM via Website

you probably refer to the fact that recent chargers dont use 500mA like the USB Port but rather like 2A (2000mA) 4 times the amount which can (depending on battery size shorten thge charging time by quite something...

MFG/Regards My1

Amy R.

Sep 24, 2013, 12:15:15 AM via App

Exactly. If my 10.1 has only about 1/4 charge left and I use its stock adapter, it takes from 4 to 6 hours til it reaches 100%. It draws a good deal of power. If I use a rapid charger, it takes only minutes. The charge time between the two is tremendous.

I don't even see the point in bringing the adapter with me, unless it's my car charger. Even then, it still takes about the same amount of time to charge my Note.

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Sep 24, 2013, 11:47:09 AM via Website

What about headphones!!! I use iPod headphones but does anyone use bluetooth headphones??? Do they use lots of power???

My1

Sep 24, 2013, 11:53:32 AM via Website

I never use BT Headphone Since
1) they only work on phones etc. not on my PC
2) I dont want to know the additional drain on my Phone/tab etc.
3) I dont want to charge my Headphones each day...

MFG/Regards My1

Kris Carlon

Sep 24, 2013, 12:44:24 PM via Website

I've never used Bluetooth headphones either. Normally I'd be the same about the Bluetooth drain, but with plenty of other wearable tech coming up that will rely on a Bluetooth connection to work, I guess if you buy into the wearable tech thing you may as well go along with other Bluetooth devices seeing the connection will already be turned on. And you can play music through Google Glass! Plus, now we have Smart Bluetooth (version 4.0) which draws less power, so maybe I'd try our Bluetooth Headphones in future.

My1

Sep 24, 2013, 2:07:48 PM via Website

isnt an accessory rathe a part of "hardware" than "software"??? but I do like the device manager...

MFG/Regards My1

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Sep 25, 2013, 1:08:02 PM via Website

I use a bumper case, a music notes skin (hence the bumper), earbuds, external speakers (iTour... purple, of course), and (probably most important) a portable charger that's always with me. It's cylinder-shaped, with multicolor stripes. Very cute, AND doesn't look like a grenade. :)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

soul mate
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 25, 2013, 8:11:29 PM via App

go for 6000 mah power bank with this u won't need to replace the battery

jenny boys
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 26, 2013, 4:00:57 AM via App

Amy R.
Don't forget zap chargers (can't remember the actual name if it). Always use it when I go on long trips. It's convenient to be able to charge your device in 3 seconds rather than 4 hours. Do most of my battery draining on holiday.
sounds ideal,like where do I purchase one

Amy R.

Sep 26, 2013, 11:08:09 PM via App

jenny boys
Amy R.
sounds ideal,like where do I purchase one

Kris corrected me in an earier post. I purchased my Rapid Charger through my cell phone provider. Haven't look recently, but I also seen them in the the electronic stores where I live and amazon.com. When I bought mine, it was about $50-$65. A little pricey but well worth it. Mine is cheaply made and is a couple years old but it still works great. It wouldn't suprise me if they make them of much higher quality and efficiency by now.

My tablet gets a full charge in under 5 minutes (when charge is under 1/4 full). My phone gets a full charge in a minute to a minute and a half (when charge is under 1/8 full). Beats waiting for hours. USB compatibility does't seem to be an issue either. I've used it on my friend's devices (completely different USB setups) and it works fine on their's as well.

Amy R.

Sep 26, 2013, 11:08:38 PM via App

Curious, has anyone yet made a charging dock and USB hub for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? I have seen them for older Samsung devices (for the most part galaxy phones).

-Always wanted to get one (if they even exist for what I own).

— modified on Sep 26, 2013, 11:17:34 PM

Amy R.

Sep 27, 2013, 9:30:57 PM via Website

Hey Kris, looked through the Samsung site a few months back and they were vague about the compatibility. The strangest thing was, when I tried to register my device, they stated the model I have doesn't exist in their system! Still states that now to and even submitted the correct information. They did have one dock on their site that was a charging dock and USB hub for galaxy phones. But I would hate to spend $60+ for one only to find out that it was completely incompatible (most likely is). Been dieing to find one. Would solve a lot of communication issues I've been having between my printer and tablet. Maybe if I'm real lucky, they will have one during the next distribution of 10.1 (if they even have the same size USB as mine).

Kris Carlon

Oct 15, 2013, 3:00:03 PM via Website

Here's another gadget of the week that deserves a spot on this list: the mini microSD reader for any phone with a microUSB port. Super easy and portable microSD card expansion for phones without microSD card expansion! Check out our review here.

My1

Oct 15, 2013, 6:28:12 PM via Website

kris your article isnt published yet...

MFG/Regards My1

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Oct 17, 2013, 12:09:51 PM via Website

Add Du Battery saver too Android essential..... I've been using it for almost a year. :blink::blink:

My1

Oct 17, 2013, 12:30:43 PM via Website

as Soon as I have the N3 I'll count the S-View Cover in...

MFG/Regards My1

veesew
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 23, 2013, 8:32:59 AM via Website

My1

Oct 23, 2013, 10:11:43 AM via Website

you cannot charge your device in 3 Seconds and the Note 2/Note 3 chargergives 2000mA, when the Note 3 battery is empty, you wont charge 4 hours, but only
3200 mA * h / 2000 mA
1,6 hours or better 1 hour and 36 minutes...

@pjckmen BT Headphones can drive directly to hell, I dont know how much power they use but as a hardcore music nd Video user I dont want to have my Headphones everyday on the charger...

— modified on Oct 23, 2013, 10:13:24 AM

MFG/Regards My1

Amy R.

Oct 24, 2013, 12:09:13 AM via App

@ veesew,

why are you repeating my earlier post word for word???????

My1

Oct 24, 2013, 12:22:40 AM via Website

I also noticed that and I'm puzzled about that...

MFG/Regards My1

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Nov 1, 2013, 4:01:50 PM via Website

Has anyone checked out Scentee? It's an attached device that sticks into your headphone jack, which you pack with a cartridge of a specific smell. This scent will be sprayed when you get a notification or your alarm goes off.

For example, it's 7 AM, your alarm starts and you smell some sizzling bacon and fresh coffee when your eyes are still shut! What a great incentive for getting up!

Or, you get a call from your girlfriend or boyfriend and a smell that reminds you of them gets sprayed. In fact, the sense of smell can be a powreful memory trigger!

Here are the scents and more to come:
rose, peppermint, cinnamon, bacon, coffee, curry, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lavender, apple, coconut, strawberry and corn soup. In addition, there is a special BBQ foods collection which offers fried spare ribs, beef tongue and a baked potato with melted butter.

Would you get this for your smartphone if it ever came to your country (and the price is right of course)?

My1

Nov 1, 2013, 10:04:18 PM via Website

well scentee is a bit weird and not really essential Loie in that case Kris is right, and this isnt really abuse, he is just having fun and shows that he cares in his own specific way...
Anyway Scentee is nothing for me as Music and Movie maniac, I need a free headphone plug. but do you know a good in-between adapter which brings Headset buttons to each and every headphones??? and please one that can be bought on germany with amazon and the likes...

MFG/Regards My1

Kris Carlon

Nov 4, 2013, 3:21:32 PM via Website

Haha, yes, for anyone who doesn't know, Philipp is absolutely correct: Loie and I have a lovely, antagonistic, affectionately abusive working relationship built around teasing/hazing/sarcasm. And in Loie's defense, as silly as I think Scentee is, I can imagine it selling like hot cakes perhaps in Japan. And Japan gave us Sony, so who am I to cast stones? I'll probably have a Scentee by Christmas (hint, hint, Loie...)

As for headphone hardware @Philipp, I'm not sure. Do you mean like a short extension cord for your headphones that has the Play/Pause/Skip physical buttons on it that you can then plug your regular headphones into? I don't have any experience with these, but I know Belkin and Sennheiser make them, and probably make very good ones. The other option is of course to buy headphones that already have the physical buttons on the cord. But that's no good if you have expensive headphones already that are just missing the buttons.

My1

Nov 4, 2013, 3:27:05 PM via Website

you exctly know what I mean, simply an in-between plug/mini-cable which has the Vol+, Vol- and Multi-button...
I dont have really expensive Headphones but most headphones (NOT the earplugs, I kinda hate them) I know dont have those buttons...

also can you link me those you mentioned?

— modified on Nov 4, 2013, 3:27:36 PM

MFG/Regards My1

Kris Carlon

Nov 4, 2013, 4:12:51 PM via Website

Hi Philipp, I just looked up a couple - as I said I have no experience personally. But if you Google ''inline remote control'' you should find plenty. Only problem is most of them seem to be for iPhones/iPods. I expect if you wandered into a Saturn or Media Markt you might be able to get some good info from a sales rep on what's available locally.

Here's a couple anyway:

Belkin - says it's only for iPods, so not sure if it would work with any smartphone or not.

Griffin - I had some iPod accessories by Griffin back in the day and they were good.

Just saw this one from Monster too which has a splitter included - again, says it's for iPhones but if you look around you might find a generic one for Android.

There's also iLuv - another iPhone/iPod remote, but that you can hack to work on Android. Here's the tutorial.

— modified on Nov 4, 2013, 4:13:14 PM

My1

Nov 4, 2013, 4:22:04 PM via Website

well everything I looked up has the same problem, iDevice...
and I dont have any soldering tools and I am nt confident in micro-soldering...
thnks any.
but I found a new essential accessory for my Note 3 a USB 3.0 OTG Adapter...

MFG/Regards My1

surya kumar
  • Forum posts: 10

Jan 7, 2016, 1:47:29 PM via Website

yup i have used bluetooth speakers. it's nice and they do not use that much of power

Klavs P.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 3, 2016, 4:15:30 PM via Website

Where is the link to this gadget on Kicktarter?

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 7, 2016, 11:59:03 AM via Website

well I generally have my 2 save betteries for my Note2 with me (particularly for long prepare trips), not to overlook my 64GB microSDXC for my recordings and each new android gadget gets an against intelligent screen defender. additionally a flip spread and/or a case shouldn't be overlooked.

also, at times I have my bluetooth console for more informing...

Jaskulski
  • Forum posts: 31

Nov 2, 2016, 3:04:48 PM via Website

Hey. I own G6 and I consider ordering an I-blades smartcase. It will give me extra 2600 mAh battery, 64 GB storage and chance to purchase additional blades with various functionalities in the future. First I was looking at Otterbox but this can give me more options i think.

— modified on Dec 21, 2016, 2:42:07 PM