Will there be future updates to app center app? Could you include the app permissions within the app center app?

• Replies:28
  • OpenNot stickiedAnswered

Sep 20, 2013 11:18:40 PM via Website

I have 2 questions.

1) Will there be any future updates to the old AndroidPit app (app center).

2) If so, could there be a way to incorporate app permissions within app center before you hit the install button? I have this thing about not wanting to install programs without knowing all the app permissions up front.

Thank You

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Sep 29, 2013 1:33:12 AM via App

Amy R.
I have 2 questions.

1) Will there be any future updates to the old AndroidPit app (app center).

2) If so, could there be a way to incorporate app permissions within app center before you hit the install button? I have this thing about not wanting to install programs without knowing all the app permissions up front.

Thank You

It bothers me because the play store and a lot of other app markets do this too.

***Would certainly put my mind at ease knowing all the app permissions for free apps I'm shopping for.***

Oct 3, 2013 3:32:35 PM via App

Ohh, I get it now. Nobody cares when I create a thread asking a question...............

Oct 4, 2013 3:06:40 PM via Website

Hi Amy,
We still don't know when a new version of App Center will be available.
When you install an app on your phone directly from an APK like App Center, Android shows you all the permissions before the installation.

Oct 4, 2013 4:17:43 PM via App

Henrique Rocha
Hi Amy,
When you install an app on your phone directly from an APK like App Center, Android shows you all the permissions before the installation.

But the Android system FAILS to tell you **All Of The Permissions**. I have ran into this multiple times. Right now, the only way to read all of the permissions is to agree to the watered down ones Android gives you, then after install, read what is REALLY **All Of The Permissions** in a roster setup, like the one my Antivirus has. Android system does not provide with that.

-This is why it is important to have the app permissions in the App Center itself. This is why I shy away from installing.......

Oct 5, 2013 2:19:50 PM via App

Amy R.
Henrique Rocha
Hi Amy,

But the Android system FAILS to tell you **All Of The Permissions**. I have ran into this multiple times. Right now, the only way to read all of the permissions is to agree to the watered down ones Android gives you, then after install, read what is REALLY **All Of The Permissions** in a roster setup, like the one my Antivirus has. Android system does not provide with that.

-This is why it is important to have the app permissions in the App Center itself. This is why I shy away from installing.......

- Please Advise

Oct 7, 2013 3:14:39 PM via Website

Why do you use an anti-virus in Android? There are no viruses in Android.

Your concept of "All permissions" changes depending the version of Android you're running.
If you run a recent version of Android, it shows more permissions than Android 2.x versions.

For example, currently, Android shows if the app has permissions to read or to write to the SD card.
It used to be the same permission for read and write in older versions.

Maybe that's why you're feeling that Android doesn't show you all permissions.

You can trust Android in terms of permissions.

Please, make your battery a favor and uninstall the anti-virus, there are no viruses for Android.

Oct 7, 2013 3:21:21 PM via App

Not True..............I already had a virus once in my 4.1.2 (which required a hard reset) months back! Ironically, the app market it came from was the play store....................................Know from experience, been there, done that...........

Oct 7, 2013 3:25:32 PM via Website

While I don't necessarily agree with Henrique's ''don't use an antivirus'' suggestion (because any peace of mind is good piece of mind in my opinion), he is pretty much spot on about malware and Android. Here's a quote from an article last week about Android and malware: ''Google’s Android Security chief Adrian Ludwig reported data showing that less than an estimated 0.001% of app installations on Android are able to evade the system’s multi-layered defenses and cause harm to users.'' and here's the diagram to go along with Google's new data:

This doesn't necessarily mean antivirus apps are useless, because while malware may be hard to push on Android, antivirus apps pick up on a lot of other stuff you're interested in: namely permissions you're not comfortable with and ad networks etc etc. And I think that's your point, no? You want to know what permissions you're giving away before you even download, rather than protect yourself from viruses/malware once an app is installed?

— modified on Oct 7, 2013 3:34:18 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Oct 7, 2013 3:49:20 PM via Website

Maybe it was something else, but not a virus. A piece of software is only considered a virus if it spreads to infect other apps or if it spreads to other systems, which is not possible in Android. Anyway, keep using the anti-virus if you feel it makes sense for you.

About the permissions, I think I'm not understanding your problem.
What do you mean by "All permissions"?

It's the permission list that shows up before installing an app from the Play Store?
Or is when you're installing a app from an unknown source (installing an APK directly for example like App Center).

Oct 7, 2013 3:57:57 PM via App

2 be honest Kris, that's exactly what I'm getting at. After I learned my lesson months back, I installed one just to track app behavior, malicious adware. I've found shortly after that, if I carefully review full full permissions before hand, I'm much better off and go to thoses markets rather than the one that don't include this...............

-It's a real pain to be jumping between AndroidPit's website and app center just to locate this info beforehand.

Added this after I read your note Henrique-

When I started 2 use AndroidPit in the begining, the website orginally included "all app permissions" (maybe it has changed, haved used it much lately). The Android does not acknowledge permission that are not primary to apps function.....................

— modified on Oct 7, 2013 4:04:40 PM

Oct 7, 2013 4:09:16 PM via App

Henrique, an easier approach could be to create a link (permissions link) to AndroidPit's website to review permissions for each app, nothing drastic

Oct 7, 2013 4:20:54 PM via App

Right now, we're focused on version 2.1 of the AndroidPIT app which will have a lot of changes and user requested features.

Unfortunately, I don't have time now to update App Center.

Why don't you change from App Center to AndroidPIT?

Oct 7, 2013 4:49:54 PM via App

Henrique Rocha
Right now, we're focused on version 2.1 of the AndroidPIT app which will have a lot of changes and user requested features.

Unfortunately, I don't have time now to update App Center.

Why don't you change from App Center to AndroidPIT?

Way ahead of ya. Installed it a few days back just to compare it to App Center. By chance, does Android PIT app include app permissions (haven't look that far yet). It's easier to switch between the 2 different apps than fighting the internet with only one tower..........

Oct 7, 2013 4:50:14 PM via App

For now on, I can go to App Suggestions: androidpit.uservoice.com as post in other thread.

— modified on Oct 7, 2013 5:59:14 PM

Oct 7, 2013 6:35:18 PM via Website

In the AndroidPIT app you don't have that permissions problem because all apps are installed from the Play Store and the Play Store itself already shows all permissions required.

So, if you usually use the Play Store, I think it would be nice for you to switch from App Center to AndroidPIT. :)