Does the plastic on the HTC One mini hugely diminish the quality?

• Replies:4
Rylan Parker
  • Forum posts: 9

Aug 13, 2013, 12:09:08 PM via Website

If I may, then I have to say that the HTC One mini has been stripped to such an extent that the appeal of going for it has been brutally diminished.

— modified on Sep 25, 2013, 1:24:24 PM by moderator

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Aug 13, 2013, 2:57:36 PM via Website

I agree with you Rylan. The appeal of the HTC One was its great design and the fact that they added plastic to the mini really diminishes its value, in my eyes. I hope that they won't do the same thing with the HTC One Max whenever that comes out.

— modified on Sep 25, 2013, 1:24:24 PM

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 13, 2013, 7:29:42 PM via Website

I still say if HTC had kept the aluminium casing, added a microSD card slot and included a replaceable battery, they'd be selling these things by the container-load. But do they listen to me? Noooo, they listen to Robert Downey Jr instead....

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

darren ward-davies
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 14, 2013, 5:32:35 PM via Website

Rylan Parker
If I may, then I have to say that the HTC One mini has been stripped to such an extent that the appeal of going for it has been brutally diminished.

I have to disagree....

Having just become the owner of the Htc One mini and having sold my Htc One (m7) to get it for me personally they have got everything right about this phone.

I was an early adopter of the M7 and had it on day of release. Have to say i had nothing but issues with it ranging from poor build quality to it being virtually unusable as a phone due to terrible call quality (some say secondary mic issue, some say software). Either way as much as i really loved the overall design and what it had to offer with the new sense 5 i didnt keep it long and tried other handsets (s4, iphone 5). About a month ago i went back to another m7 and was lucky enough to get one that was virtually issue free. However for me personally as good as it is the current trend of increasing screen size makes the phones bigger and bigger and for me it made it just not comfortable as an everyday phone. I have quite small hands (and stubby fingers!) and a 4.3" screen is about the maximum/optimal size for me. When i heard of the M4 coming out knew this would be a phone that would tick all the boxes for me. I can honestly say there is not one thing i miss from the M7. The build of the One mini is fantastic and just feels great in the hand. It does not suffer the 'gaps' issue that many users had with the M7 due to the plastic band around the edge. I personally dont think this cheapens the phone at all and the button design (volume) is far better than the silly toggle idea. All the other good bits are there, Zowie, Boomsound sense 5 and the same great camera (all be it lacking ois). Ok it dosent have the 'buzz' thing of the moment of quad core processor but that in my experience dosent really mean much. a well optimized dual core is just as good in every day use and i would bet in a blind test 9/10 users would not know any difference. If i was being really critical then maybe the reduction in ram size from 2-1 is noticeable on occasions but even as a 'heavy' user i dont miss it significantly enough to be a deal breaker for me. Again in my opinion one area in which Htc has excelled compared to others (Sony/Samsung) is the screen. Ok, so the screen on the One mini is not 'full HD' but with the reduction in screen size (4.7 to 4.3) i cant honestly say i notice the difference.

I think its a great phone and priced well compared to s4mini which seems ridiculously priced at the moment (not that i would ever consider it compared to the One Mini)

Cant praise this phone enough at the moment and i consider myself to be someone very hard to please when it comes to phones. I think its about time a manufacture started taking on board that there are many users for whom in everyday use the size of a phone is an issue (Apple know this) but who still want the excellent build quality and latest bells and whistles in a smaller package.

Just my Opinions of course

BTW my first post on any type of forum like this so please be gentle with me :grin:

darren ward-davies
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 14, 2013, 5:42:15 PM via Website

Kris Carlon
I still say if HTC had kept the aluminium casing, added a microSD card slot and included a replaceable battery, they'd be selling these things by the container-load. But do they listen to me? Noooo, they listen to Robert Downey Jr instead....

The aluminum case is still there and although i love it, personally i would have been quite happy if the material they have used for the outer band had been used all over the back and incorporated the band (old iphone 3gs style) but then again most people just cover it up anyway with a case but then people feel adding 'metal' gives an air of quality to a product. For me its not so much the material but the weight it seems to add and again for me, this gives me the feeling of a well made device.

Have to agree with you on the memory card thing though. Its still very useful to have this as most people are still a little 'wary' of the online storage (box, google, dropbox) etc that lots of companys would encourage us to use. That said i do feel that in a year or two expandable memory on a phone will be redundant as higher mass storage (32gb) along with free online storage options will be the norm for most.