Which OS are you using on your Desktop device?

• Replies:15
Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 4, 2013, 4:34:36 PM via App

When I owned a computer, It ALWAYS had some variety of Linux DSL in it. Usually Knopix or Red Hat. It always had to have a full Java network too. I use to get a kick out of messing around and tweaking those programs. That was years ago though and I have abandoned computers since then.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

damponting44

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 7, 2013, 4:21:34 PM via Website

Windows 7 on an Asus Zenbook. I hate Windows (I actually love Macs to work on as desktops). I've split half my working life using either platform and know them both very well so there's really not much difference to me as I can get my work done fine in either, except for the general clunky awfulness of Windows and usual compatibility problems.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

damponting44

Amy R.

Oct 7, 2013, 4:43:52 PM via App

Kris Carlon
Windows 7 on an Asus Zenbook. I hate Windows (I actually love Macs to work on as desktops). I've split half my working life using either platform and know them both very well so there's really not much difference to me as I can get my work done fine in either, except for the general clunky awfulness of Windows and usual compatibility problems.

I hear you Kris. At least Windows 7 is less cluncky and rigid than Windows 8 for computers.

— modified on Oct 7, 2013, 4:44:22 PM

damponting44

Bojan M.
  • Forum posts: 18

Oct 11, 2013, 10:00:11 AM via Website

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate at the moment.

@Amy and/or Kris:

Please, explain to me what's so bad about Windows? I'm genuinely interested in your opinion. I've never owned or used Mac, and seeing as I use my desktop computer mostly for gaming, I never will. But, a comparison would be highly appreciated. My opinion, right of the bat, is that people have their favorites and tend to be biased, so, please, a short comparison, unbiased preferably, if you can and want.

— modified on Oct 11, 2013, 10:00:54 AM

damponting44

Amy R.

Oct 11, 2013, 4:01:19 PM via App

@Bojan, I'm actually not a big fan of the newer windows layout. Windows 7 is ok (I guess), at least it provides you the means to change the desktop from that tacky, eye twitching widget page, for a desktop. At least with that setup you can change it to icons on a page (like I'm used to) and it will remain that way period. Nobody will ever convert me to to even tolerating Windows 8 though, I absolutely hate the setup. Reminds me of having a cell phone program in your computer.

Also, after Windows dropped the basic DOS administration function, they lost me with it. I really miss pre Windows 98...................

— modified on Oct 11, 2013, 5:09:23 PM

Amy R.

Oct 11, 2013, 4:54:46 PM via Website

Also @Bojan........You're spot on though. Your setup is absolutely perfect for gaming! A lot of the people I know have that same setup for gaming and just adore it.

damponting44

Mehedi Hasan
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 9:22:00 PM via App

hahahh.. Windows 8

damponting44

Bojan M.
  • Forum posts: 18

Oct 11, 2013, 9:53:10 PM via Website

@Amy

Thank you for your answer. You're right about Win 8, can't stand it. Someday I might need to degrade to W8, but I'm gonna delay that as much as possible.

Amy R.

Oct 11, 2013, 10:06:55 PM via App

Bojan M.
@Amy

Thank you for your answer. You're right about Win 8, can't stand it. Someday I might need to degrade to W8, but I'm gonna delay that as much as possible.

Yup, Windows 8 I truly hate. It's the reason why I decided to cave and just get an Android tablet instead...............

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Oct 21, 2013, 8:32:55 PM via Website

Abandoned computers? How on earth? (Genuinely curious what you mean by that!)
Amy R.
When I owned a computer, It ALWAYS had some variety of Linux DSL in it. Usually Knopix or Red Hat. It always had to have a full Java network too. I use to get a kick out of messing around and tweaking those programs. That was years ago though and I have abandoned computers since then.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Oct 21, 2013, 8:35:27 PM via Website

@Amy Oh... tab. Maybe I could finish reading a thread before responding to a post, huh? ;)

Anyway, I'm Windows 7... I've used windows 8, and, not to be unoriginal, but I also despise it. 7 is alright... better than Vista.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Amy R.

Oct 22, 2013, 7:50:41 PM via App

HowDoYouAndroid.com
@Amy Oh... tab. Maybe I could finish reading a thread before responding to a post, huh? ;)

Anyway, I'm Windows 7... I've used windows 8, and, not to be unoriginal, but I also despise it. 7 is alright... better than Vista.

Ya dude, Vista sucks!

I was sooo disgusted by these newer computer programs, that I simply gave up on computers and computer programming all together. I even went to school for it. In the end, it only proved that I didn't like the direction most of these OS' s were going and it was not the thing for me anymore...........

Finding the right OS for me is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I would consider myself very fortunate to walk into a computer show and find the latest brand new computer with a fully functional Linux system installed.

damponting44

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Oct 24, 2013, 6:56:29 PM via Website

I'm currently on a Mac Mini, but my next computer will probably be a Surface Pro 2, simply because it can dual boot into Android. And who wouldn't want a machine that can do everything AND do Android on a Core i5 processor? I hate Windows 8 too, but it seems unavoidable now that Win7 is being phased out on new computers. I love my Mac OS, but the problem is I need more mobility, and Mac laptops are too darn expensive for what you get.

By the way, is anyone here remotely impressed by OS X Mavericks? I honestly can't tell the difference from Mountain Lion.

--I do a good impression of myself--

damponting44

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 8:16:45 AM via Website

I'm right now on a Ubuntu Linux 64-bit , however my next PC will most likely be a Surface Pro 2, essentially on the grounds that it can double boot into Android. Also, who wouldn't need a machine that can do everything AND do Android on a Core i5 processor? I detest Windows 8 as well, however it appears to be unavoidable now that Win7 is being eliminated on new PCs. I cherish my Mac OS, yet the issue is I require more versatility, and Mac tablets are excessively darn costly for what you get.

Fyn Team
  • Forum posts: 16

Oct 10, 2016, 11:27:31 AM via Website

Windows 7, but I miss XP ))