So you all love Android, but is there any reason at all to switch to iPhone?

• Replies:7
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 4, 2013, 4:15:34 PM via Website

Ok, so before you all start tearing me a second you-know.what, I'm just posing this question really for research and curiosity purposes, not because I will actually choose to do this. But here it is: would there be any reason to switch from Android to Apple??

Here is a list of pros and cons from Daniel, a German user from the German forum:

Android
+ Free access to the file system, for example for managing PDF documents
+ ITunes is not needed to play music
+ You can replace the battery yourself (in most cases)
+ Many free apps
+ Easy synchronization with Google, Google calendar and Google contacts
+ Accessories such as chargers compatible with almost all Android devices
- Settings look very cluttered and confusing
- Very dark surface by Android
- Will often hang or crash
- Updates are few and far between and often don't bring much

iPhone
+ Very nice and friendly interface
+ Although fewer adjustment, it is tidier and more user-friendly
+ Device is very fast and very reliable
+, I get the impression that real work is put into updates, like with ios7
- Apps are typically expensive
- To my knowledge, there is no way to sync with Gmail, Google calendar and Google contacts
- No open access to the file system where you can store files. For example, PDF files
- Tied down with iTunes
- It seems that new accessories must always be bought with each new generation of mobile phones, which aren't compatible with each other
- The battery cannot replace

Are any of his points justifiable? What are your thoughts?

Do you have any arguments to add to the list?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 4, 2013, 4:24:58 PM via Website

Android:
+ Unlimited customizations
+ NFC
+ Lots of different app stores
+ A handset to suit every budget
+ No ''marriage'' to one OEM
- Don't get to look like a muppet at a cafe with your MacBook. Oh wait, that's a +

Apple:
+ More stable/polished updates
+ Seamless integration of software and hardware
+ Less shite apps
- Silly ''rules'' for devs to get app approval
- All of the above +'s for Android

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Oct 16, 2013, 1:21:30 PM via Website

Promised updates are provided by iphone. :bashful::bashful: Not like Android vendors as samsung :angry::angry::angry: that only updates one of two versions and forget us. :mad::mad::mad:

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 16, 2013, 4:45:38 PM via Website

Haha, very true - have you seen this funny exchange between a disgruntled VZW customer wanting to know when his Galaxy Nexus would be getting Android 4.3? After being told that VZW is there, like a pillow, to support him, he finally got a little irritated at the lack of useful response.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Oct 23, 2013, 8:46:10 PM via Website

Android:
+ Customizable in every possible way if you know what you're doing
+ Good community support
+ A different phone for every user's taste
- I agree that crashes are common, but I can't comment all that much because I use custom ROMs so much

iPhone:
+ Clean and user friendly
- Apple Maps. 'nuff said
- Less cloud sync capacity, and only sync-able to one computer
- Locked down. Like a prison. Just try to jailbreak it...
- Apple has full control of everything

Plus I'd argue the updates for Apple products are fewer, farther-between, and offer very little. Just look at OS X Mavericks. I installed it and see no difference whatsoever.

--I do a good impression of myself--

Zach Disasta
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 24, 2013, 5:32:28 AM via App

In my opinion I look at this like I would Windows 8 and Windows 7 (Analogy) if you prefer more customization and are more tech savvy, then I would say android. But if you want a simple, and more user friendly UI as well as a more social experience. I would say apple. sorry if my opinion is a bother but just thought I would summarize it :) Good question though

jenny smith
  • Forum posts: 12

Nov 29, 2013, 6:24:05 AM via Website

Because iPhone provides you to play the most graphically advanced games as smoothly as possible. And if you need a better low-light camera than iPhone is the better choice. iPhone provides more security based applications.

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 28, 2014, 12:56:27 PM via Website

I recently just saw my friend's new phone, which he bought a couple of weeks ago. It is Acer Liquid E2. it was a marvelous device. The screen looks sharp, the screen looks popping (especially when using scenery wallpaper), the performance is really fast (thanks to quad-core MTK8125 and PowerVR SGX544 GPU), and it's running stock Android.

I think, this is my opinion though, compared to my brother's iPhone 4, Apple's phone is just nothing compared to Acer's phone. Really. I would definitely prefer Android phone just because its UI is just way better than iOS. I told my friend that on iPhone 4, you've got no widgets, which he really likes it, so you basically only get UI filled with grid of icons. And this can be so boring for the long period. But if you want to switch to iPhone, then go ahead. It's your choice, really. It will come down to each user preference. If you love simple UI, then go buy iPhone or Windows Phone smartphone. If you want a rich-feature UI, then Android smartphone is your choice.