Install Android 4.3 firmware on Samsung Galaxy S4: final build version

• Replies:6
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 14, 2013, 12:25:41 PM via Website

If you want some more information about this firmware build version, check out our companion article to this forum entry. If you just want the install tutorial, keep reading. Please share any finds or questions you have in this forum too.

I'll assume you already know the risks involved in flashing firmware to your device and are happy to proceed. As always, both myself and AndroidPIT assume no responsibility for any damage that may occur to your device.

1. Download the firmware here: Android 4.3 firmware test Samsung i9505 Galaxy S4.

2. Unzip the zip file, and you will get two files with the extension .tar.md5 and a file with the extension .tar

3. Download Odin 3.09, and unpack the .zip also.

4. Launch Odin.

5. Reboot your Galaxy S4 in download mode (Volume Up + Power + Home button).

6. Connect your Galaxy S4 via USB cable to your computer and wait for Odin to recognize it. A blue box should then appear (in the program).

7. Add:

AP_I9505XXUEMJ3_1840064_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 to the AP box
BL_I9505XXUEMJ3_1840064_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the BL box
CP_I9505XXUEMJ3_1840064_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the CP box
CSC_OLB_I9505OLBEMJ2_1765174_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in CCS box

8. Make sure that the re-partition box is not checked.

9. Click Start and wait a few minutes until the procedure ends. Do not disconnect your S4, be patient.

10. Once your Galaxy S4 restarts, it's over!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Gulzar Abid
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 21, 2013, 11:57:26 AM via Website

Hi.

I had rooted my Galaxy S4 (i9505).. how can i install the new 4.3 update without losing Root

Kris Carlon

Oct 21, 2013, 6:45:35 PM via Website

Hi @Gulzar Abid, if you want the official firmware, use the links in this updated article (the links in this forum thread are for the unofficial final build from a few days before the official firmware got leaked).

As for the root question, there's no guarantee that the root exploit will remain after the update, so it's hard to say whether you should flash the firmware or not if you absolutely must keep root. You can always get root access again after the update if you lose it, but again, there's no guarantees. Read around and see if there's any feedback on root access being affected by this firmware, but generally speaking, Samsung are not so strict with root so even if you lose root through the update you should be able to get it back easily enough.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

imr5n
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 2, 2014, 12:52:50 PM via Website

thanks , but if i do this update my phone will not stuck or hang after upgrading ,
what if it got problems , can i downgrade then to the old version of android

Kris Carlon

Jun 2, 2014, 6:23:35 PM via Website

The biggest drama with Android 4.3 on Samsung devices is that it brings along Knox. Knox is Samsung's security suite for sandboxed devices, basically so you can bring your own device to a workplace and have it partitioned. The problem is that part of Knox means that you can't downgrade anymore and you have some flash counter issues (which affect your ability to ''fake it'' as an unmodified device if you need to return it for service or repair).

If you don't already have Android 4.3 on your device I would do a lot of reading to see what improvements it brings and decide if you really think you need it. While 4.3 is great, I know a few people who decided to live out their S4 days on 4.2.2 just because they didn't want Knox and the associated problems that Android 4.3. and 4.4 brings to their S4.

Neal Cheung
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 24, 2015, 2:20:56 PM via Website

hello! thanks for your post about how to install Google paly store on Chinese phone and I have succeed on my old phone .and now I am working one my new device Samsung galaxy S4 GT-I9508V.and the same ,first step is to root .but I have tried many ways and failed .please hepl me.I have uploaded the details abound my phone .I am in China

Hanan Q.
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 14, 2016, 5:30:35 PM via Website

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Model GT-I9500 phone. One month ago, my device kept rebooting to the carrier page. I did a soft reset but it didn't workout and eventually it kept rebooting to Samsung Logo. I took the device for repair where they told me that it will work out (I went back 2 days later where they told me that unfortunately, it didn't). I pressed the power button and I got the message Firmware Upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. I downloaded Kies and entered the model and S/N but it said that GT-I9500 doesn't support initialization. So, I went ahead and tried Odin and downloaded the necessary files and did the required steps and it looked as if it will work out. After 5 minutes or so, I got the message that the process failed. Can you please advise on what the problem might be. Thank you and looking forward for a reply.