Galaxy S5: what we know and what we don't (yet)

• Replies:10
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 22, 2013, 10:58:59 AM via Website

The Galaxy S5 is starting to heat up a bit, gathering rumors as it starts to snowball into the next device we will talk about endlessly. So what are the rumors we've heard so far?

Chassis: first it was to be clad in a metal unibody like the HTC One, but what would this mean for switching out batteries? Then it was going to be plastic and fake leather like the Note 3.

Certifications: Reportedly water-resistant and dust-proof like the Xperia Z range...

Camera: First it was a 13 MP camera with OIS, then a 16 MP version. ISOCELL technology will more than likely appear in the sensor, but how big that sensor will be is a guess right now: 8 MP, 13 MP or 16 MP.

Chipset: 64-bit architecture seems guaranteed, as does an octa-core processor, possibly with Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (meaning all eight cores can work simultaneously).

Scanner: Looks like the S5 may well have a biometric scanner, most likely an iris scanner that will use the onboard camera. Samsung is reportedly a year behind Apple in terms of fingerprint scanner technology.

Release: either mid-late January, or at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in late February.

Styling: Lots of stories about ''Design 3.0'', but nothing concrete yet - Design 3.0 may be held over for the Galaxy F series in 2014.

Have you heard any other rumors about the Galaxy S5 you'd like to add?

— modified on Oct 22, 2013, 10:59:18 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 17, 2013, 5:52:58 PM via Website

Ok, so the newest news, it looks like the Galaxy S5 will have a 2,560 x 1,440 pixel display - that's going to be around 580 ppi if it's a 5-inch screen - there's still the persistent rumor that it will come in two models: one with a plastic chassis and one with a metal body. There will be improved one-handed operation and the launch date is looking more and more likely that it will be a Mobile World Congress reveal in late February with market availability in late April. That's in keeping with the early release discussed as a response to lackluster S4 sales. Oh, and the iris scanner looks like a bit of a cert - Samsung has the patent already, but there's also talk of a fingerprint scanner now too...

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Sterling Keys
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 19, 2013, 7:04:03 PM via Website

Some more information seems to be popping up in regards to the housing debate on the Samsung Galaxy S5. Some reports are indicating that creating a metal housing is too expensive for Samsung (?!) and that they will be sticking with just plastic housings for their device. As well, there have been no mass production orders for a metal-alloy chassis over the last little bit.

Seems a bit odd.

Ctls_Murari
  • Forum posts: 16

Jan 9, 2014, 10:26:03 AM via Website

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Andrea
  • Forum posts: 25

Jan 10, 2014, 10:40:35 PM via Website

There's also this new flat version of TouchWiz: www. xda-developers .com/android/leaked-screenshots-suggest-dramatic-new-direction-for-samsungs-touchwiz-ui/ (sorry, no link allowed yet. How many posts should I reach?)

zuk lio
  • Forum posts: 16

Jan 24, 2014, 6:57:04 PM via Website

cant wait :):):)

Terry Haze
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 3, 2014, 6:19:27 PM via Website

Galaxy always on top of South Korean technology so ... snapdragon 810 + 4gb RAM + 5.0 display 2k resolution and, maybe, flex ;)

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 4, 2014, 6:06:02 AM via Website

Terry Haze
Galaxy always on top of South Korean technology so ... snapdragon 810 + 4gb RAM + 5.0 display 2k resolution and, maybe, flex ;)

I don't get that what samsung plans are they are trying to make their devices more like Laptops and ultrabooks !! 4gb RAM+Snapdragon 810 ...... well, now we can say soon ultrabooks, Laptops and PC are going to be history !!

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 29, 2014, 12:36:43 PM via Website

To be honest, i'm really disappointed with Samsung GALAXY S5. I'm not disappointed with the whole thing on this phone. I'm only disappointed with the design of this smartphone. As a flagship, i think the design of S5 still doesn't improve a bit compared to the predecessor. Compared to other flagships around the market to date, like HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2, it's really obvious that GALAXY S5 is not on the same level with these rivals, of course in term of design. I believe this has something to do with recent Apple lawsuits against Samsung. I think Samsung has been really careful when designing its recent devices because they know perfectly that if their new flagships look even a bit like iPone 5S, those Apple's cockroach lawyers will always be ready to drag Samsung to the court for the same ridiculous patent claims, like rounded corners. Samsung is the biggest rival for Apple. So it makes sense that Apple's dumb lawyers are always laser focused on everything that Samsung does.

John Calvacca
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 9:17:43 AM via Website

My first post here so i better make it count.....I happened to catch a regional sales director at Best Buy as I was about to pre orderthe M8. She showed me a feature where when the battery drops to a certain percentage, the whole ccreen will invert everything. She said that it will add 4-8 hours of life so you can possibly get saved from being stuck with a dead battery.

It makes sense. I always change every possible app to an inverted version because it adds 40% more screen time in straight video playback tests.

P.S....she opened her laptop and showed me the feature included in the retailers training materials so that is a fact. The phone is water resistant not water proof. It can survive a drink being spilled on it but not an accidentally in your pocket jump in the pool. It is rated to be 100% resistant to dust under the screen