Build your own smartphone (like Motorola with Project Ara): what would your ideal handset look like?

• Replies:9
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 29, 2013, 1:54:22 PM via Website

Motorola and Phonebloks are pairing up to build new modular smartphones where the user can choose who builds what parts and be given the freedom of how their smartphone will actually look, an extra battery here, a different kind of keyboard there.....this open-source hardware platform will be available to many developers to get involved.

If you could make your own smartphone, following this idea of many parts from different manufacturers combined in one, which parts would you take from which manufacturers?

My modular smartphone:

- the Samsung AMOLED screen from the Galaxy Note 3
- the speakers from the HTC One
- the alleged Nexus 5 processor, meaning a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 at 2.3 GHz
- the 64 GB of internal storage from the iPhone 5s
- the Xperia Z Ultra's all-pencils work on screen function
- the back-facing buttons from the LG G2.

What would yours look like?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 29, 2013, 10:32:29 PM via Website

Bwahaha, terrible question to let me answer:

LG quad-HD display, ''maybe'' at 5-inches, more likely 4.8 or so
Tegra 4 at whatever I could overclock it at
64 GB memory (and expansion up to 128 GB, why not?!)
3 GB RAM
iPhone camera with IOS and the best low-light performance ever seen on any camera ever. I'm talking owl-eyed, ninja assassin, navy seal night vision
Nexus 7's rubbery back
Form factor of the G2 (but with side buttons - I know they can do it if they want to)
supercapacitor/battery magic that at least gets me through a REAL day and a half's use and charges pronto
Projector-keyboard
''Aura'' sensor that preloads a launcher depending on my mood.
Telepathy scanner that unlocks the phone when I think about it...
...and maybe I've gone too far.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

ParaDroid
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 2, 2013, 11:07:27 AM via Website

Basically an Xperia TX with a Lumia 1020 camera, 4.5" 1080p Triluminos X-Reality screen, 3 GB of RAM, IP 58 certification, Snapdragon 800 @2.3 GHZ and 3500 mAh battery.

Small, powerful phones are all but impossible to find nowadays, especially at Israel.

ShoelaceWireless
  • Forum posts: 20

Jan 12, 2014, 5:01:23 AM via Website

Not sure if they can but I'd love a separate Sensor (Gyro/Accel) Chip like the one in iPhone 5S. This allows for low-energy constant sensing.

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 29, 2014, 4:58:09 AM via Website

My dream Project Ara smartphone is a phone with these stuff:

- replaceable GPU and CPU, with the default Tegra 4 quad-core
- replaceable camera for up to 41MP, of course with the new back cover, with the default 13MP camera on LG G2.
- 3000mAh battery with the advanced technology that can be charged with the heat energy, either from our body or sun.
- replaceable body design and the entire cover.

i think this phone would be the best phone i've ever had in my whole life. lol. Gonna use it for many many years to come. :D

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Mar 30, 2014, 4:49:46 PM via Website

My modular smartphone
-2k display
-3gb ram
-camera like the one from htc one m8
-64gb storage
-aluminum body
-tegra k1 processor

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Mar 31, 2014, 7:23:44 AM via Website

Well, according to me it would be

- Tegra 4 quad-core GPU
- 4GB RAM and Expandable to 16GB. :lol:
- Mind reading keyboard, No need to type just think and type:grin:
- replaceable camera.
- 6000mAh battery that can be charged via solar or automatically like some watch works.
- body can be replaced easily
- Introduction of theme based lights like if its a party time, then lights switch to party mode, sleeping mode, etc...
- Recyclable device, means once it gets messed up you can get new one !! :grin:

Heee....heee sounds too much sci-fi !! :D

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Apr 17, 2014, 2:59:15 AM via Website

OK here goes.

Chassis based on the HTC Sensation XE, Camera from the same handset but with more mp (min 13mp), Note 3 screen (5 inch), gesture sensing tech from the Moto X, 3gb RAM, 64gb built in memory, micro sd card slot (possibly twin slots), rear facing buttons from LG G2, finger print resistant screen. that's all I can think of at the min

Nathaneal S.
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 11, 2014, 9:24:31 AM via Website

Well, according to me it would be
- Tegra 4 quad-core GPU
- 4GB RAM
- Mind reading keyboard.
- replaceable camera and BoomSound

Piyush Jain
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 3, 2015, 6:54:36 PM via Website

Hi,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I donot sound technically correct. I was reading the Project Ara concept and I feel it is amazing. I have a samsung grand Android phone.
I have seen a lot of my friends using various kinds of smart phones and everyone has one issue or another. I too face a lot of issues.
Having said that I would like to write down the kind of phone I would like to have
a) the one thing that I face regularly is if I am outside and my phone is in the room and I get a miss call I will not know regarding the miss call until I check my phone.
b) **I would like my phone to have a LED light in the sides of myphone which would blink if I get a miss call or a message. this feature will allow me to check my phone right away**
c) most of the phones I notice don't have good quality sound system except HTC to listen to music. i would like my phone to have good dolby speakers and good ear phones which will allow me to hear good music

REST OF THE SPECIFICATIONS:

a) slim phone screen not more than 5 inc.
b) scratch proof, water resistant
c) Quad core processor 815-820
d) 32/64/128 GB, 3 GB RAM
e) Exynos 7 Octa features 825 MHz of dual channel 32 bit LPDDR3 with a GBPs value of 13.2. (I READ SOMEWHERE THAT EXYNOS IS BETTER THAN SNAPDRAGON). PLEASE SUGGEST
F)Corning Gorilla Glass 4 back panel
g) Latest Android to be updated automatically when the latest version is released
h) AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
i) removable Li-Ion 3000 plus mAh battery
j) speakers should be at the sides not on the back side of the phone.(THIS IS IN CASE THE PHONE IS LAYING ON BACK ON THE BED. IF THE PHONES RINGS I CANNOT HEAR IT SINCE IT IS LAYING DOWN ON THE BED. IF THE SPEAKERS ARE ON THE SIDE, THEN I CAN HEAR THE RING EVEN IF IT IS ON THE BED). PLEASE SUGGEST

Note: Again I apologise if i sounded boring. please let me know if the phone I am looking for me with my specifications is right or completely wrong.

THE MAIN THING I WANT IN MY PHONE IS TO NOTIFY ME OF MY MISS CALLS AND NEW MESSAGES IN CASE I FAIL TO NOTICE IT.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME IN READING MY suggestins.

piyush