How to remove old devices from Google Play device list

• Replies:18
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Oct 30, 2013 9:44:43 AM via Website

Over time Google Play will keep adding devices you use with your Google account to the Play Store device list. Many of these are not relevant (because you sold the device or just borrowed someone else's for a while). Here's how to tidy up your Google Play Store device list.

Old Android devices unfortunately cannot be completely removed from the Play Store archive but here's how to hide them and clean them up to make more sense.

Open the Play Store on your web browser, click the ''cog'' icon in the top right corner and then click on ''Settings''. This will bring up the list of ''My Devices''.

You'll see all your devices listed, mostly called ''Unnamed Device'' with the model numbers and other information.

Under the ''Visibility'' column, you'll see check boxes for ''Show in Menus'' - all will be ticked by default. To remove the device from your ''My Devices'' list, simply uncheck the box and you will no longer see it in any menus.

Clicking ''Edit'' allows you to set nicknames for your devices, so that random model number can now be ''Work Phone'' or something else easily recognizable to you.

Between these two steps - managing the visibility of your devices and setting meaningful names for them - you can get a much better idea of what you're dealing with in the Play Store and remove old devices from your list. It'll also make finding your device on the drop down list a lot quicker and easier.

Any changes you make will be spread across all Google services too, from app compatibility lists to Android Device Manager. See the image below

— modified on Oct 30, 2013 9:48:46 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jan 20, 2014 6:48:12 PM via App

New knowledge is out there for everybody..no matter what subject..no rules to learn ..its 'out there'..I'm a doctor, so not dumb but love to learn of hidden different things, of things..I say " bring it ALL onto me"

Jan 20, 2014 9:48:35 PM via Website

or ppl who had a device with screenbuttons before never find it, because of the menu button, which is a really good thing from Samsung, because it really saves space in the actionbar of some apps because a nother botton must go away for the 3dot button...

MFG/Regards My1

Jan 31, 2014 1:12:11 AM via Website

Now that that's settled, how the hell can I strip out the apps I don't want/like from 'My Apps'? Last time I enquired, the word was that it's impossible. Is it still so?

This might be a topic for an article, one to add to your 'rolling topics' loop, perhaps.

Jan 31, 2014 10:59:59 AM via Website

well, in Play Store App you get to your apps through the sidebar, then you get to the right tab and the you press the X icon on every app you dont want anymore. but be careful with bought apps, since I dont know what happens...

MFG/Regards My1

Feb 1, 2014 1:33:19 PM via Website

Ya some people doesn't know about how to remove the old apps from play store and many doesn't consider the settings. But while removing the apps be careful of others relevant app.

Feb 4, 2014 9:44:22 AM via Website

laurakelly
Ya some people doesn't know about how to remove the old apps from play store and many doesn't consider the settings. But while removing the apps be careful of others relevant app.

I am sorry but i guess this post is not about the how to remove the apps but its about how to remove devices from your account (i.e. if you are using multiple devices using one gmail account and after a while you think no i should remove this device). So my dear friend i guess now you might be getting what this post is about !! I wonder why you don't read what the post is about ...... :blink::blink:

Mar 27, 2014 5:05:08 PM via Website

Hide doesn't work on mine.
And it has some scammer listed now on my account.
some phone never heard of, service that isn't mine.
Need a DELETE button..

Jul 27, 2014 5:05:08 PM via Website

you can essentially use you account ith half a myriad of devices, especially when switching between custom ROMs this can occur without problems as they have a different well what should I call it "software serial number".
I have eleven (11) right now

MFG/Regards My1

Jul 28, 2014 6:28:55 PM via Website

Hi @Ali, you can add as many devices on the one Google account as you like. Because of my job and the frequency with which I add my account to enw devices I have dozens and dozens of devices listed in Google Play. I can only imagine what Google make of it. They either think I'm disgustingly wealthy or...a tech journalist. Ok, they can probably figure it out!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting