Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:147
HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 16, 2013, 2:49:46 PM via Website

Oh, I think Samsung will be alright. They're too good for a glitchy update to kill them. I think it may have stunted their growth a tad, but they'll be fine. I don't think it's a blackberry situation.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Shane Larsen
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 18, 2013, 3:23:28 AM via Website

I have an unbranded S4 in australia and I have recieved a notification to download the firmware with the build number of I9505XXUEMK9, does anyone know if this is a stable update or will I still experience problems

John Urquidi
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 18, 2013, 3:55:59 AM via App

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 on Cricket's Network and I can't say that I've noticed any difference in performance or anything else , I also can't say that I've had any major problems with the update either, although I did lose my navigation icon and youtube is not working as well as it used to. In fact I'm starting to wonder if I even got the full update!

kevinv wallace
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 18, 2013, 8:28:57 AM via Website

Yes,

Not everyone have this kind of problem and i am also never suffered from this kind of problem with Samsung Galaxy.
Every user have different experience.

Wspchef2001

Dec 18, 2013, 9:08:33 AM via Website

Jon Liegl
The only issue with my S3 after updating to 4.3 is that my past downloads keep popping back up in my status bar. Other than that I've got no issues.

Past downloads as in pictures and they are already on the phone. That's the only issue I have come across as of now and it's annoying. Mine does it like every 5 minutes killing the battery. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Ari

Dec 18, 2013, 1:34:50 PM via Website

I had beautifully working, rooted stock @ 4.1.2 and I did manual upgrade to 4.3. If only I had known better... As others have raported, the battery loss is terrible, applications just crash, and the phone is REALLY slow, especially with screen lock.

So I tried the downgrade (https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3) which resulted as a some sort of soft-bricked device with bootloop. I tried several approaches, with no success. Finally I found the new release of the 4.3 (http www.sammobile.com / firmwares / 3 / ?download=23211 ):

PDA: I9300XXUGMK6
CSC: I9300OXAGMK6
MODEM: I9300XXUGMK6

After installing this the phone works as it should. No problem with applications, no timeout in screen lock and even the battery usage seems reasonable. Hopefully Samsung will learn from this to test the releases itself, not via community. ;)

PS. as a new member I cannot post links to external sites, so...

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 18, 2013, 9:35:56 PM via Website

Hey @Shane, all the latest builds (MK6, MKC) are the stability patch. While I haven't heard anything specifically about the MK9 in Australia, I would say if you can live without the update, do so. The problems are not even consistent across carriers, so even if some are reporting it's ok you might be unlucky. If you're happily rocking 4.2.2 I'd say stick with that until the coast is VERY clear.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Kris Carlon

Dec 18, 2013, 9:39:29 PM via Website

Hey @Ari, glad you had some luck with the stability patch. While it's not perfect it's a vast improvement and should get most people through until all the issues are ironed out. Assuming Samsung keeps putting out updates to clear the remaining problems and doesn't just move onto 4.4!

— modified on Dec 18, 2013, 9:39:44 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Claude Rainville

Dec 20, 2013, 5:17:04 AM via Website

Since the 4.3 upgrade my S3 does not ring anymore the light blinks but no ring

Rob Cargill

Dec 20, 2013, 11:26:50 PM via Website

I wish I had the problems you list above. I ran an update from 4.1.2 today and my phone is now stuck on the glowing Samsung logo. So far I have tried:
- Android System Recovery (ASR) > wipe cache partition > reboot
- Emergency firmware recovery in Kies, didn't even recognise device
- Firmware upgrade and initialisation in Kies - recognised phone, downloaded firmware but then just stopped
- Downloaded firmware from SamMobile, put on microSD card, from ASR used "apply update from external storage" and selected BOOTLOADER file, but error says E:signature verification failed.

I've written to Samsung and have so far heard nothing. I absolutely loved my S3, now having massive doubts about Samsung, I still have a year to run on my contract and I have a bricked phone - HELP!

ZZZAda Esther Argueta

Teri McGinnis
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 22, 2013, 7:41:43 PM via Website

I just updated to the 4.3 os yesterday and hate it! Battery life is terrible!!!!!!!! I see no improvements! And now I can't use my wifi hotspot I bought on the play store!!!!! Which is the worst part. I am on Verizon, and apparently they figured out the loop hole and closed it! I want to revert back to 4.1.2, but I can't completely understand the process. Wish it was easier. And from what I can figure out, there isn't any firmware for that in the US yet. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it is so frustrating!

Ada Esther Argueta

Ada Esther Argueta

Dec 23, 2013, 4:50:17 AM via Website

I have had the update for 2 days on my sprint carrier. Overall I like the idea that they were trying to get accross. I do notice my phone a tad bit slower instead of faster. Also, I have skydrive on my phone and for some reason it keeps on showing each file download report every few seconds on my phone. I hit clear on the notification section, and as soon as it clears it out, it displays it all over again, and we are talking about 60 + notification, which impedes me to really see the new updates on the notification bar and I have to browse through all skydrive and find out which ones are new and which ones aren't, pretty uncomfortable. Other than that, it is okey.

Jesse Reed

Dec 24, 2013, 2:05:26 AM via Website

Appalling battery life, even when charging : no
Screen blackouts : constantly.
Voice recognition broken : working poorly
Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting : yes
Wi-Fi guest network login problems : no
Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks : no
Text messaging contact issues : no
Verizon car charger does not work : n/a
Mobile data icon missing : no
Music player self-launching : no
Bluetooth audio cutting out : rarely
Slower performance : yes
Widget problems, Air View not working : no
Screen rotation broken : randomly and annoyingly yes

Bought phone new on black friday. I baby it. Never dropped bumped drained battery, it's my sweety. I didn't notice any improvements with 4.3 but I did notice a few unimprovements. Screen rotate issue is constant. Screen blackout issue is constant, when using Web browser (stock or chrome same). Have to swipe screen up or down to get it back. I still love you tho my little notey poo

— modified on Dec 24, 2013, 2:06:19 AM

LOREEN TORRES

Dec 25, 2013, 3:28:46 AM via Website

The mobile data icon is a must and now is missing. Text messaging contacts messed up. Help me undo it.

alison t.

Dec 27, 2013, 4:40:21 PM via Website

the new update has taken away my keyboard and has replaced it with a qwerty. why take away our choice. i have problems with my fingers and find a qwerty too small

Doug Howard

Dec 27, 2013, 8:38:17 PM via App

I have a note 2 on sprint and updated to 4.3 and this is what happens now.
voice recognition works sometimes other times nobody can understand a word I say.
The service bars go up and down from full service to no service and I don't even have to move (I am on a sprint airrave).
The number 1 works when it wants to and most of the time it doesn't.

Teri McGinnis

Dec 29, 2013, 12:57:16 AM via Website

Well I contacted Verizon, and of course they can't help me. Then I contacted Samsung, and I can't go back to 4.1.2 according to them. I am thinking of going to the Verizon stores and seeing if they have a phone that hasn't been updated yet. I sure hope they do.

Pat McCarthy

Jan 1, 2014, 12:50:01 AM via Website

I have received 4.3 onto my Galaxy S3 (vodafone uk) but am reluctant to install it even if it is the new variant with 'only a few minor issues', until i hear from lots of users who have installed it without ANY problems. In particular I am worried in case it stops working with my SureSignal box which gives me a phone signal using my wifi, which would render my phone virtually useless.
Can I get rid of the software download, or increase the time between reminder prompts to install (currently max 3 hours)? i am quite happy to stay with 4.1.2 for the moment.

vaughan
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 1, 2014, 2:00:37 PM via App

cant share any issues cause here in south africa they are still to give us the freaking 4.3 update

Teri McGinnis

Jan 1, 2014, 6:14:19 PM via Website

And we get a new issue, lol. Every time I start up my phone, I have to reset the wallpaper. This just keeps getting better and better, lol.

Ryan

Jan 2, 2014, 1:53:21 PM via Website

Hi, i just updated my galaxy note 2 from 4.1.2 to 4.3
After updated and reboot, however my mobile data signal didn't show off and i can only connect using WIFI
Could some one help me?

Thanks
Best regards

Henlee Chang

Jan 9, 2014, 7:26:35 PM via Website

I get the following issues but it only occurred 2 weeks after the upgrade

1. Poor battery life
2. Phone is extremely hot especially when I try to connect to Wifi
3. Wifi is constantly disconnecting and cannot reconnect unless I restart the handset and then it only stays connected for 5 minutes

— modified on Jan 9, 2014, 7:27:16 PM

jppc
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 12, 2014, 7:06:47 PM via Website

Hi -- my phone automatically downloaded 4.3, but I keep postponing installing it due to the documented problems. I have to check a box every day to postpone for another day and am worried that eventually it will install automatically. Is there a way to delete it so it doesn't ever install? Thanks!

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 12, 2014, 10:27:59 PM via Website

jppc
Hi -- my phone automatically downloaded 4.3, but I keep postponing installing it due to the documented problems. I have to check a box every day to postpone for another day and am worried that eventually it will install automatically. Is there a way to delete it so it doesn't ever install? Thanks!

At system settings, about phone, update one of the menu options should be how often to check for updates, i.e. daily, weekly, or manual (I'm presuming this, I've never really used samsung devices before). If not, and you're rooted, you can use an app like titanium backup to freeze the firmware check app(it's called FWUpgrade 1.x.x) and that'll do the trick.

Sinkster

jppc

Jan 12, 2014, 10:43:50 PM via Website

Thanks, sinkster, but I don't have that option. When I go to about phone, software update, there's a box that says "Status Update postponed" and an option to "install deferred SW", but I can't click on anything to change it. My phone is not rooted and I don't know enough about the technology to attempt that. I'm a total novice with this stuff, but learned the hard way to google info on updates before installing them.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

hatib

Jan 13, 2014, 8:11:56 PM via App

hi kris. among many, m also a victim of 4.3 update disaster. m nt gonna pen dwn my 4.3 issues coz its already stated by all in this thread. m jus interested in knowing if u or any1else has any new update regarding the issue? as to when we will be getting a fixed OTA update for 4.3 so that I can once again start loving my note 2. apparently m in a dilemma to revert back to 4.1.2 or wait for a fix. :(

Elizabeth Woodford

Jan 13, 2014, 8:25:10 PM via App

I have unstable WiFi since I did the update.

Taylor Tiger

Avinash Shinde

Jan 15, 2014, 8:10:35 AM via Website

I am having trouble with wifi. It connects but internet is not working properly. It disconnects after every 5 minutes. Also my battery is also getting down very fast as compared to older version.

hatib

Jan 15, 2014, 3:00:13 PM via App

its lyk an affliction all around the world. people are suffering n whining . Samsung u better get us a fix ryt away! life is a misery with dis update! HELP ! SOS!

Brian B

Jan 16, 2014, 11:03:03 PM via Website

Wi-Fi guest network login problems
Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks
Slower performance
Widget problems

Things (apps, menus, pretty much everything) load a lot slower, even causing the system to hang for up to several minutes... and most of the time I only get 3G instead of 4G, which is disappointing. Also, Spotify doesn't seem to believe I am connected to the Internet when I am on wifi. Which means I have to use mobile data, presenting the problem of using data AND getting a less-than-stellar connection because, again, I am only connected over 3G. I'm also having problems with Google Maps. The connection is very spotty, losing track of where I am in the route I am using. I don't know whether this is GPS related or Data related, but it's a frakking headache.

Is there anyway to rollback to the previous version of the OS without the additional headache of having to backup and restore all the data, redownloading apps and the phonebook and settings and all that noise?

Taylor Tiger

Jan 17, 2014, 4:05:56 AM via Website

The main problems i have been seeing since my recent update is that a notification that my internet is unstable pops up constantly even when at full bars. Also that every time i try to text someone there will be a lull, i can text but it wont start typing until about 5 seconds in, then it will speed type what i have written then the keyboard drops away. I then have to wait about 5 seconds or so for the keyboard to reappear. My mother has had the same issue with the same phone.

Dave Jarratt
  • Forum posts: 15

Jan 17, 2014, 1:35:36 PM via Website

My Galaxy S319300 is almost a year old.It came with Ice Cream Sandwich which an OTA updated to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.Everywhere I read I read of Jelly Bean 4.3 and even Kit-Kat (?4.4 or 4.5) I tried to upgrade to 4.3 thro Kies and was told that 4.1.2 was the best I could do.
I'm 70 and know sweet fanny adams about Rooting and Flashing(sounds rude to me).
Am I to live with 4.1.2 forever and a day:should I root and flash,forget the whole damned issue or pay some geek to do it for me.
I am in South Africa and am not sure if we are on the map.
Could you with some advice--Please!!

Liz Bailey

Jan 18, 2014, 1:02:38 PM via Website

I installed the upgrade on my s3 but now keep getting a notification popping up saying "failed to sign in to......"
Not happy!

Bob Bonkowski

Jan 20, 2014, 10:46:32 AM via Website

HI,
It's not only on S3 & S4 it's the same with my Note 2!!! And on top of that Kies 3 is also a disaster, It doesn't accept my Note 2!!!
Since i did the upgrade I have the same problems, but also cannot sync with my Outlook!!!
Grrrr... I am a business man and need my calendar!
What to do?

— modified on Jan 20, 2014, 11:25:46 AM

Bob Bonkowski

Jan 20, 2014, 11:27:40 AM via Website

I have a i9000 as back up for my calender, but after that update it is also acting up, but not as bad as the Note2! :'(
HELP!!!

Mike Thibeau

Jan 21, 2014, 4:39:12 AM via App

Check the Play store for the App called Outlook.com. It's by Microsoft and should fix all your issues with Outlook, mail & calender. And it's a free app

— modified on Jan 21, 2014, 4:39:49 AM

Chase Crowder

Jan 29, 2014, 7:41:48 PM via Website

Honestly, the only problem I have with the update is the music player. I HATE IT. JUST WHEN I HAD THE OTHER ONE FIGURED OUT, THEY GO AND FLIP IT ON IT'S HEAD. SERIOUSLY! THIS PISSES ME OFF!

Bocowes

Jan 31, 2014, 2:01:08 PM via Website

As well as the poor battery life, mobile data icon occasionally missing and slower performance I'm also experiencing problems with the built in email app. Since the update last year (haven't had the most recent one through this week yet) I can't get the email notifications to work. I've tried changing the settings but the tick box seems to be greyed out?

I have to go into the app and manually refresh in order to get any new mails to show. There's no flashing light or notification in the top bar.

Haven't seen anyone else quoting this problem. Any suggestions for fixing it please?!

Dave Jarratt
  • Forum posts: 15

Jan 31, 2014, 3:41:46 PM via Website

It's no wonder that Apple and Samsung have called a ten year patent truce. My friends with the Apple 5ios have got issues and the whole damned world knows about Samsung and it's 4.3 botch ups.
Would it be fair to assume that the priority is quantity not quality especially with the two heavy-weight champs of the world(a bit like VW re-calling over a million vehicles for fault repairs) Isn't it odd that I dont read of Nexus,Sony,And all the other,so called small fry with problems,like the two giants who should produce a new Star Wars and get their bullets up their guns to correct the multitude of faults on very expensive equipment,rather than keep on churning out new models.I'm on a 12 month old S3 with 4.1.2 and it can damn well stay there,cos I have lost all my faith and trust in Samsung.(Jeez I sound like a North Korean)

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 31, 2014, 6:23:38 PM via App

I can't believe how unstable this update is, I've used an experimental, non-official KitKat rom on my old One X which has less faults.

Sinkster

Colin Buckland

Feb 2, 2014, 8:00:45 AM via Website

Last week I installed Android 4.3 on my Galaxy S3 in Australia. I have some of the problems discussed but the main ones are:
1) battery burn -- I have installed Batter Doctor to fix. Too early to see results but hopeful;
2) Cannot access contacts or make calls (get a blank screen even on pressing key pad). Get a message "Contact list is being updated" but it never finishes????? I wonder if this is the main reason for the heavy battery burn?

The last problem is major. I know my contacts or at least Favorites are still in the phone as sometimes I can see them. But while it says the contact list is being updated I cannot make calls, get favorites, or contacts. What is going on? Does someone have a fix for this, it is very frustrating.

PLease help.

GenerousKing

Feb 5, 2014, 3:00:59 PM via Website

I resisted "upgrading" for the longest time. The previous versions -- 4.1 and 4.2 -- were awesome. Totally stable.
  • Appalling battery life, even when charging -- yes, but this seems to be related to GPS; when off, not so bad, when on, phone drains in less than an hour, AND I have to reboot to "turn it off".
  • Screen blackouts -- No
  • Voice recognition broken -- Intermittently
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting -- This is the WORST; Totally unstable; even when it "works" I have to turn off and turn on WiFi, just to go from one WiFi network to another. Ridiculous.
  • Wi-Fi guest network login problems -- YES Simply does not work, ever.
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks -- Doesn't "switch" per se, but it "holds" the 3G/4LTE, even when WiFi is "on". I have to switch WiFi off, then on, in order to reconnect. If I were suspicious, I would say Verizon added this "feature" to drive up data (and $$) usage. But I am not suspicious.
  • Text messaging contact issues -- Haven't seen that one.
  • Verizon car charger does not work -- That works fine.
  • Mobile data icon missing -- I have mine.
  • Music player self-launching -- Not experienced that one.
  • Bluetooth audio cutting out -- yes
  • Slower performance -- Definitely.
  • Widget problems, Air View not working. -- I don't use Air View.
  • Screen rotation broken -- On some apps, not all, and on those, it did work before.

The broken WiFi is the worst issue.

Shrikant Bhoutik

Feb 6, 2014, 8:12:32 PM via Website

Same problem in India can't share from music player files receiving via bluetooth fails video player has lack of options
i hate this 4.3 update
:angry:

Lisa D.
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 6, 2014, 11:57:34 PM via Website

Hey Kris,

Thank you for this. I have spent over 13 hours on the phone with Verizon and Samsung about the 4.3 issue. Still, nobody will own things. I used to work doing cell hardware and applications testing (I mention this for the guy who accused us of abusing our phones). I've done a Kies job and a factory reset (regrettably). I just hung up with Samsung (again) and they said that for a charge of $70.36 they will fix my phone - as long as there's no physical damage. My phone is pristine. In fact, this mess has screwed up my Spigen bevel-edged screen protector and the Spigen case. How can they charge me $70 for a problem they caused? I am a geek and have loved this phone more than any piece of electronics I have owned over the past 50 years. The Samsung rep kept giving me the party line about my S3 being 17 monts old/not being under warranty, blah, blah, blah. I kept saying that it was not warranty issue. It was as if I had a perfectly working phone on my desk and they walked in with a hammer, gave it a whack, and then told me that I must pay them to repair it. They tried to blame Verizon. I am pissed. Here are about half of the symptoms my poor S3 has suffered from since the day of the update in early January 2014:

Flash blinking for incoming calls and texts. I nearly blinded myself and oncoming drivers as it was on an "i-mount" on my dash. This is the only problem that has been fixed.
Number pad vanishing or not registering selections
Screen vanishing randomly (difficult to distinguish from power problem below).
Contacts - many missing, many linked in truly bizarre fashions. Whenever I select a contact the screen pops back to the top of the list before you can read or select anything.
Text messages do the same thing - must scroll forever to reach most recent message from any given sender.
POWER - using while plugged in power will drop from 100% to ~90% in about 15 minutes. Sometimes gets too hot to touch. Sometimes powers off and indicates battery is dead when discharges so quickly (easily confused with screen vanishing above).
Bluetooth - used with 5 or so devices daily. Now a hopeless mess. Sometimes can pair with phone, but will not connect with anything else (have removed/added repeatedly).
WiFi - not seeing networks. seeing networks now but not 3 minutes from now. telling me valid passwords are invalid. generally not connecting, ETC.
3G/WiFi/4G - can't make up its mind. No mobile data signal.
Apps vanished - passwords vanished from ALL apps that required one (i.e., HBOGo, STARZ, Netflix, Mail)
Widgets - I have only ever used ONE widget. Now each page is plastered with them - for apps I have never used.
Music plays randomly.
Voice recognition/S-Voice are messed up.

Thank you. I feel a little bit better now. Have any of you paid Samsung to fix your phone for this update?

— modified on Feb 7, 2014, 12:04:23 AM

sdel

Feb 7, 2014, 5:36:09 PM via Website

I don't know if you were able to fix this issue (past download icons not going away) but I just recently had this same problem and was able to find a fix for it.

Go to the downloads app, in your app drawer, and clear the downloads in the internet or other.

Hope this helps you out. :)

— modified on Feb 7, 2014, 5:43:33 PM

Nadia Salim

Feb 8, 2014, 1:09:30 AM via Website

Hi, I received the push message to upgrade firmware to my s3 and once it was done, I kept getting the "Unfortunately Messaging has stopped" error and I could not access my stock messaging app. However, I reconnected to Kies and ran the firmware recovery process (holding down the home, power and volume button down) and managed to reinstall the firmware again correctly and now everything works fine. Samsung has released patches so if you're having the same problems as me, try it. Make sure you backup your phone book, apps, photos, etc before proceeding. Also it may take some time, and more than a few minutes, for your Windows software to detect your "new" phone initially so Kies may not recognize your phone. However, don't despair, wait for your pc to download the driver and detect your new phone system first. Then run Kies again. You will need to install/update to the latest version of Kies 3.0 for it to be compatible with android 4.3. Once you've installed it, just follow the steps on the screen for firmware recovery. It does take awhile. But once completed, it should be okay.

sarathy saaruu

Feb 11, 2014, 7:07:56 AM via Website

Will galaxy s3 get kitkat..because it has only 1gb of ram?

Kris Carlon

Feb 11, 2014, 10:22:08 AM via Website

Hi @Sarathy, there's no reason for the S3 not to get KitKat as far as RAM goes. KitKat only requires 512 MB of RAM.

There was a leaked Samsung document a while back that had a March-April rollout date for the S3 getting KitKat, but that's far from confirmed. Still, I would be very surprised if the S3 didn't make the jump in the next couple of months.

Rakesh Sharma

Feb 12, 2014, 9:29:49 AM via Website

I have recently upgraded my Galaxy S3 to 4.3. the operations aspects of the phone such as battery , response etc are all fine, but thescreen resolution has suddenly deteriorated, there is lot of pixaletion and the brilliance of the diplay is totally gone. i have tried factory reset but to no use. tried reinstalling the firmware through Kies... not sure if it got re-installed.

can anyone through some light and guide me to fix this issue. there does not appear to be any hardware issue as i have tried *#0*# and checked every thing all appears normal

pl help