How did the KitKat update affect your smartphone? Good, bad?

• Replies:28
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Dec 4, 2013, 10:40:08 AM via Website

Our Editor Anthony Muzonzini posted an article about how KitKat solved his Nexus 7 problems that Android 4.3 was causing. These problems were slow or glitchy bootload, shoddy battery when not put into flight mode, GPS issues and more. Apparently, KitKat has fixed all of this for him?

How did the update affect your Android smartphone? Did it fix certain things or make things worse?

Let us know!

— modified on Dec 4, 2013, 11:57:02 AM by moderator

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 4, 2013, 11:59:55 AM via Website

In general, I didn't notice all that much of a difference, but I am needing to charge my Nexus 4 a little sooner than I was before. I keep getting Play Store popups which is weird too. If I click an external link from email, a browser window pops up and then it switches to the Play Store (whatever page I was on last). I've also had Play Store app popups (for Clash of Clans for example) pop up at random times. Kinda strange but nothing dramatic. Everything else has been pretty spot on for me. Can't say I've used GPS or Flight Mode yet though.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 4, 2013, 8:27:00 PM via Website

I found battery drained faster, too -- the first two days I was also finding it charged slowly, but then I didn't feel that it was any more after that. Camera got slow, which was super annoying.
Loved the new contacts set up, and I like hangouts for SMS... overall I like the changes, though it needs some fine tuning, imho.

HowDoYouAndroid.com

James F.
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 5, 2013, 3:27:29 AM via Website

I have the Nexus 7 (gen 1). I immediately experienced, and still do, have lag problems. Both online and off. Surfing or playing RR3. I didn't have these issues before the update.

Atli Jónsson

Kris Carlon

Dec 5, 2013, 11:13:34 AM via Website

What would you like to see in the 4.4.1 update? Other than the Nexus 5 camera software fix and perhaps some battery performance improvements (but that's always the case, kind of like ''The Best Steak in Town'': everyone says it but you don't believe it).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Neil Baldwin

Dec 5, 2013, 8:24:28 PM via Website

Since 4.4 my nexus 7 3g has been freezing and rebooting itself very regularly, it has nearly been thrown out of the window several times already. It's rubbish when is 4.4.1 comming?

maddyrokieasta
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 6, 2013, 11:21:49 PM via App

Well 4.4.1 update is rolling out from today... All bugs, bettery draining problem solved +transparent lock screen

maddyrokieasta

Dec 6, 2013, 11:22:50 PM via App

4.4.1 update is coming Today only for nexus 7 LTE version

— modified on Dec 6, 2013, 11:23:21 PM

morne kruger

Dec 9, 2013, 10:22:53 AM via App

I wish I could just get 4.3 on my note 2. 4.4 is still ages away for us in S. Africa. any news on our roll outs?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 10

Dec 11, 2013, 3:16:35 PM via Website

As I think the battery is available for less time, discharge faster

Kris Carlon

Dec 11, 2013, 3:40:54 PM via Website

Hi @morne, the Note 2 update, if you believe a ''leaked'' Samsung update roadmap, could be ready sometime between March and April 2014. But that's on Samsung's side, each individual carrier will then have to work their magic on it before releasing it to customers, so when it gets closer to the time you could contact your carrier and ask them when their expected rollout is expected.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 28, 2014, 8:17:49 AM via Website

Kris Carlon
What device do you have @John?

I have Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100, @kris is my device going to get KitKat update:lol: i've been hearing a lot of news that samsung has released a list of devices that are lined up for getting Android 4.4 KitKat update and I have seen the list saying Some Samsung Galaxy Tab2 and Tab3 device will get KitKat but still no sign of it i am still on Android 4.2.2, It's been almost 4 months and still :mad:no sign of any major update poping out of my screen. It feels like we are abandoned, Nowadays i am regretting why i have bought samsung ????? I was planning to go out for flashing custom ROM by :PCynogenmod they have already released 4.4 KitKat for Tab users. I don't get that Why Sammy takes a lot of time :(in updating their device while the other developers are launching different versions way more faster than them !! :angry:

Arvind Katiyar

Feb 7, 2014, 9:48:09 AM via Website

I have a Note3,set to update automatically ,it just updated to 4.4.2,it s become faster,but the Samsung app WATCH ON has stopped working,I have sent a message to the WATCH ON team from the app but have not received any answer.

— modified on Feb 7, 2014, 9:49:21 AM

tahayaro

Feb 13, 2014, 5:50:04 AM via Website

I am using Samsung Note 3 and it's overcome all the problems that I face while using Android 4.3 such as my Gallery, Samsung Notes and some applications hangs. Now my gallery it seems a bit slow to download some pictures because I believe some pictures are connected to the cloud server. My friends using the same phones told me he has no problem at all with the Gallery because he has not much picture yet in his phone. I am happy using Adroid 4.4.2.

W. Jerald Cole

Mar 9, 2014, 4:53:59 PM via Website

Upgrade for my T-Mobile Note 3 went fine, but I wish I had not done it.

In the first few minutes I discovered that my access to my 64GB memory card had been sabotaged.

This upgrade should have come with a HUGE warning!

Shame on Google, who's pretext for the change is lame, and shame on Samsung for going along with it.

Without a fix, this will be the last Android phone I buy.

W.J.Cole

Steve Hobbs

Mar 20, 2014, 4:34:35 AM via Website

I can't stand my phone since the update. Example: this morning my alarm goes off at 4:00 am and I can't get the screen to come on so that I can turn it off. Woke up the entire house. Big time lag in everything. Will more than likely be going back to I phone.

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 29, 2014, 12:40:31 PM via Website

I heard KitKat on Nexus 5 brings many improvements on the phone, especially the camera sector. Now taking photos will be much faster than before. The quality of photos/videos taken with Nexus 5 has also improved significantly, the colors looks more realistic and less saturated then before. I've also seen the photos from Nexus 5 beat the crap out of iPhone 5S' photos, although even without the update, the photos/videos from Nexus 5 already surpass iPhone 5S' photo quality.

magez
  • Forum posts: 16

May 1, 2014, 4:17:15 AM via Website

I upgrade my phone to kitkat, now I can't restore it. I can't stand my sdcard is useless.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 1, 2014, 6:22:32 AM via Website

@magez: Well, I would say have a break with KitKat, I am sure its soon going to be fixed. TIll then enjoy the KitKat and as far as storage issues is concerned I think you should use your PC to move the images, videos and music files to the SD card, because I know you can't use SD card but yes its in read only mode means you can read the data from the SD card. :)

danial32
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 19, 2014, 9:39:33 AM via Website

After the update of kitkat version am getting some errors while using apps. Especially whatsapp force close whenever i busy with sending messages. Seems the problem beyonds latest version of kitkat.

Stephanie Haygood

Jun 19, 2014, 7:48:38 PM via Website

Not good! The device update that happened yesterday 6/18/14 has really messed up my Galaxy Note 2. KitKat is not working for my phone. It took all night to charge when before it charged quickly. It wiped out my Amazon kindle app contents. I had so many eBooks that i haven't been able to recover yet. I had to go in and uninstall it And the Google play store as well because it was not responding. Those come already installed! Why did that happen? My phone is so slow now. My Facebook and instagram don't want to refresh so that's not working and no telling what else I haven't found yet. And the bar at the top of my phone is black and white, I liked it with color. What was the reason for that? How do I get back to what I had yesterday before the update? My phone was amazing before this stupid update!!!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 20, 2014, 3:55:55 AM via App

@stephanie looks like you need to give the factory reset
go to recovery then clear cache and wipe data/factory reset.
you can backup your apps by downloading helium apk from google play store

— modified on Jun 20, 2014, 4:26:13 AM

Ready To Help You.

molham

Jun 25, 2014, 11:22:39 AM via Website

I haven't got it yet on my xperia z in syria do you know when it'll be available for my smartphone??
Does it need an unlocked bootloader please answer!!!

bauken

Jun 26, 2014, 10:07:38 AM via Website

I have a Note3,set to update automatically ,it just updated to 4.4.2,it s become faster,but the Samsung app WATCH ON has stopped working,I have sent a message to the WATCH ON team from the app but have not received any answer.

Lothar Metzner

Aug 3, 2014, 1:11:24 PM via Website

Will doing a factory reset after upgrading to 4.4 revert the device back to 4.3 ?
Thanks.

Steve Taylor

Aug 9, 2014, 7:04:51 AM via Website

Updated the Note 3 to Kit Kat 4.4.2 and GPS started becoming intermittent on all apps that use GPS. There is a bit of chatter about this elsewhere on the net. Seems the problem is Kit Kat 4.4.2. Would be nice to undo the update - factory reset does not help. Trying the GPS Status app to make it more stable. Very frustrating. The GPS worked very well before the Kit Kat update.