Google Nexus 4 — S4 now or wait for S5?

• Replies:11
rob d.
  • Forum posts: 35

Dec 14, 2013, 12:33:29 AM via Website

Sorry for such a noob question. I'm currently using an iphone 5 on AT&T. I'm ready to move over to Android. Torn between waiting for the S5 or just purchasing the S4 now and then sell it when the S5 drops and utilize my AT&T upgrade. I'm not sure if I'll lose my AT&T upgrade if I purchase the S4 now from Google Play. Thanks......any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Evgenija Gacova

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 14, 2013, 1:33:01 AM via App

You're probably better waiting for the s5. The s4 is a good phone, but obviously the s5 will be 'better'(I'm not a huge Samsung fan). If your unfamiliar or uncomfortable with rooting/modding an android you may feel left behind with any new features that appear on the later model.

Sinkster

rob d.

Dec 14, 2013, 9:38:36 PM via Website

I ordered the S4 GPE...my thought process here is that I'll see if I truly like Android now with the S4. If I don't, I know I'll be able to sell the S4 GPE for close to what I paid for it and go back to my God awful iphone 5. If I do like the S4 and Android, I'll burn my AT&T upgrade on the S5, (once it's available), and sell the S4 GPE.

sinkster
You're probably better waiting for the s5. The s4 is a good phone, but obviously the s5 will be 'better'(I'm not a huge Samsung fan). If your unfamiliar or uncomfortable with rooting/modding an android you may feel left behind with any new features that appear on the later model.

Troy Greenlee
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 15, 2013, 7:40:39 AM via Website

Personally I would get the S4 now and I'll tell you why.. I've owned the Iphone5 and the S4. I own or have owned just about every high end smart phone available. Ok, now for my reasoning on getting the S4 now... As for me the iphone5 is just way too slow for my liking.. The screen is way too small for my liking as well.. The S4 is so much faster especially if you're into graphic demanding apps like Real Racing 3 as I am. Or HD videos, which viewing on the S4 is more enjoyable in my opinion. Basically I think iphones are too small and are just too over rated. Other than the iphone having a faster response time when you click on the app vs android and iphones being a bit more solid than the S4, android blows them away in every other way.. You will love the S4. It wouldnt be my pick of android phones at the moment unless you are a first time android user and you will be upgrading to the S5. This way it will get you more use to using the Galaxy phones.. Plus I actually made money both times Ive owned the S4 when I sold it.. I shopped and purchased at a good price. I hope this helps you out some and which ever way you decide I would like to know how it goes..

rob d.

rob d.

Dec 15, 2013, 8:18:12 PM via Website

Excellent thoughts and reply, thank you. I don't really do any gaming on my iphone now so I don't see myself doing it on Android.
Troy Greenlee
Personally I would get the S4 now and I'll tell you why.. I've owned the Iphone5 and the S4. I own or have owned just about every high end smart phone available. Ok, now for my reasoning on getting the S4 now... As for me the iphone5 is just way too slow for my liking.. The screen is way too small for my liking as well.. The S4 is so much faster especially if you're into graphic demanding apps like Real Racing 3 as I am. Or HD videos, which viewing on the S4 is more enjoyable in my opinion. Basically I think iphones are too small and are just too over rated. Other than the iphone having a faster response time when you click on the app vs android and iphones being a bit more solid than the S4, android blows them away in every other way.. You will love the S4. It wouldnt be my pick of android phones at the moment unless you are a first time android user and you will be upgrading to the S5. This way it will get you more use to using the Galaxy phones.. Plus I actually made money both times Ive owned the S4 when I sold it.. I shopped and purchased at a good price. I hope this helps you out some and which ever way you decide I would like to know how it goes..

Anders Bagger
  • Forum posts: 57

Dec 16, 2013, 1:23:45 PM via Website

I have a S3 (the LTE/4G model). I moved from a Galaxy S Plus this year, and must say that the S3 is a good choice too. It might be slow for some apps, never the less, Real racing 3 runs smoothly on the S3.
(just keep in mind, that the S3 is power hungry, and you have to disable all these "fun" things and run it "basic" to get 8+ hours on the battery)

I am not using any other "hardcore" stuff, other than that game, so you could just go and get that S3 until the S5 is here.
Better yet.... Look at other devices, like sony or htc. You might find something that's even better that you have not seen.

— modified on Dec 16, 2013, 1:26:37 PM

rob d.

rob d.

Dec 16, 2013, 1:26:42 PM via Website

Thanks for your reply. I took a long hard look at the HTC One as well. I think the 5" screen of the S4 is what won out in the end. Thanks again.
Anders Bagger
I have a S3 (the LTE/4G model). I moved from a Galaxy S Plus this year, and must say that the S3 is a good choice too.
It might be slow for some apps, never the less, Real racing 3 runs smoothly on the S3.
I am not using any other "hardcore" stuff, other than that game, so you could just go and get that S3 until the S5 is here.
Better yet.... Look at other devices, like sony or htc. You might find something that's even better that you have not seen.

Saenic

Dec 17, 2013, 10:05:45 AM via Website

Android has another UX philosophie than iPhones do and is much more customizeable:

- You have Homescreen(s) where you can place Apps and Widgets to your liking
- You can replace any stock App with a custom one (Launcher, Browser, SMS, even Phone App)

As for HTC One vs Samsung Galaxy:
They both have different UIs (TouchWiz @Samsung, Sense @HTC) and the handling differs slightly. I would recommend that you try out both in a shopping center or watch youtube videos of them and then decide which UI you like more. The outside casing might matter to you now but when you are using it later on, the UI is what will bother you more.

(Sure you can install Cyanogenmod on any of them with stock Google feel but this requires a lot of effort getting into the matter)

— modified on Dec 17, 2013, 10:06:12 AM

rob d.

Youil Aushana

Dec 19, 2013, 5:39:00 PM via App

Hey dude, I have an S4; N my girl has an I5S. I wouldn't trade it for the world; I absolutely love my S4!! They are supposed to drop the "F" series for Samsung phones, at the end of 2014. This will offer everything they might pass up on with the S5, n they love to do that. I'm gonna wait due to the lack of 64-bit content, 2K resolution support. I have a feeling; 2014 will also be the "Year of the ecosystem", as each OEM will release their own app stores and build on a variety of accessories for their given devices.

rob d.

Brandon Stengel

Dec 19, 2013, 10:20:20 PM via Website

S4 or S5? I would seriously take a look at the Note 3. I have had all of the above and the Note 3 is by far the best pick.
Good luck, you really can't go wrong either way you choose.

rob d.

Dec 20, 2013, 1:00:19 AM via Website

Why do you prefer the N3 over the S4?

Brandon Stengel
S4 or S5? I would seriously take a look at the Note 3. I have had all of the above and the Note 3 is by far the best pick.
Good luck, you really can't go wrong either way you choose.

Adrian Mendoza

Jan 6, 2014, 7:57:13 PM via Website

You should wait for the Galaxy S5. From rumors and waiting it will must likely come out around March.