Are you happy with the battery life of your smartphone?

• Replies:30
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Dec 18, 2013, 12:16:45 PM via Website

I am most certainly NOT happy with the battery of my Galaxy S3! The thing dies so fast it's astounding! I do need to admit that I don't really follow the best battery practices, like often letting my battery drain to zero before recharging or letting it overheat. I will definitely put Kris' 16 tips for saving battery life to use as of now on because I am always being left high and dry, which sometimes lands me in some precarious situations.

— modified on Dec 18, 2013, 12:16:59 PM

damponting44

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 18, 2013, 2:12:06 PM via Website

I was happy with the battery life of my nexus 4 (shocking, right? who's EVER happy with battery life??) but KitKat destroyed that. And now I have an S3 and I'm finding the battery astoundingly bad. Charge it as often as I can, have back ups, etc... but it's a disaster. Have to try way to hard to make it through 12 hours!

HowDoYouAndroid.com

damponting44

colsec
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 18, 2013, 10:31:29 PM via App

I have a Note 2 and am running Probam 4.4 kit kat with ART runtime and get at least 36 hours out of one charge; that's usually a quick play in the morning, a few phone calls and browsing during the work day and heavy browsing, streaming and playing in the evening. I love my phone!

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 21, 2013, 9:15:33 PM via App

I was fearing the worst from the Nexus 5 battery after reading a few reviews, but it's actually been surprisingly good. My old One X couldn't last 8 hours with moderate to heavy use, but the N5 with Franco's kernel lasts double that easily.

Sinkster

damponting44

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Dec 22, 2013, 2:46:06 PM via Website

Not satisfied with battery life of my huawei ascend p6,it drains itself even when not in use!

damponting44

Nik Burin
  • Forum posts: 53

Dec 23, 2013, 8:08:36 AM via App

More than satisfied with the battery life of my gs4,8 hours listening to music,some moderate web surfing,texting,get back home,still have ~40%

Vikram Kyle
  • Forum posts: 13

Dec 26, 2013, 10:42:05 AM via Website

I am not satisfied battery life of smartphone.

damponting44

Paul Walker
  • Forum posts: 9

Dec 27, 2013, 8:14:58 AM via Website

me also not happy with the battery life of my Smart phone S3 :bashful:

damponting44

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jan 21, 2014, 5:21:02 PM via Website

Yeah Franco kernel is reknowned for being great.

My Nexus 5 is still ''fairly'' stock - CM 11, but no other mods. I took a few battery use minimization steps (the ones Loie mentioned above) and a few others I didn't include in the video, but I get a ton of battery out of my N5 - easily a day and a half if I'm not hammering it (which I usually am, and even then it's a clear day with no problems). I checked just now and it's at 66% after 17 hours off charge (admittedly 6-7 of those I was sleeping), but as you mentioned, I was expecting much worse.

Mary has a new Nexus 5 too and even though she's doing most of the same things as me she's still getting pretty bad performance. She's completely stock but seems to be having no luck. Her Google Play Services is killing her battery whereas mine has no impact at all, and we both have v4.1.23. Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

— modified on Jan 21, 2014, 5:23:54 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

damponting44

Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Jan 21, 2014, 5:28:32 PM via Website

Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap.... but I am pretty sure it is due to the horrible wifi at home (which is making is constantly scanning for good wifi connection). But I didnt have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection :/

damponting44

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 21, 2014, 7:13:52 PM via Website

The only smartphone I've ever had that had good battery life was the Razr MAXX, but it had other issues ... like a locked bootloader and, um, it was a Motorola phone. The audio jack had hardware issues starting about a month after I got the phone. Battery lasted for 5 days sometimes, though.

Honestly, though, I think bad battery life comes standard with smartphones. I typically just charge mine regularly and it at least gets me through the day.

--I do a good impression of myself--

damponting44

john walker

Feb 1, 2014, 6:55:49 AM via Website

Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap. But I am not sure if it is due to the horrible wifi at home. But I didn't have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 3, 2014, 6:55:24 AM via Website

john walker
Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap. But I am not sure if it is due to the horrible wifi at home. But I didn't have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection.

I have heard that nexus5 battery is just awesome !! I don't know why you are complaining about you're battery as Nexus is running KitKat that has hardware sensing batch which greatly reduces the power consumption ???? :unsure:

Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Feb 3, 2014, 10:55:16 AM via Website

After getting my replacement Nexus 5, I noticed I am having the same problems with the battery drain. It looks like it is due to the wifi I am using at home. I now have to put the phone on airport mode when I sleep (which helps) :/ My flatmates iPhone 5 battery seems fine though.

— modified on Feb 3, 2014, 10:56:55 AM

john walker

Feb 6, 2014, 12:33:28 PM via Website

Battery life is major problem nearly all people face in their Smartphone but nexus has come with some high-quality battery status because Google provide both hardware and software in nexus so it will improve.

Lalit
  • Admin

Feb 6, 2014, 12:58:43 PM via Website

john walker
Battery life is major problem nearly all people face in their Smartphone but nexus has come with some high-quality battery status because Google provide both hardware and software in nexus so it will improve.

then why most of the users are saying that battery consumption is a lot more in nexus ?????

Louay A. Elhai

Feb 7, 2014, 8:41:44 AM via Website

hello guys
before i brought my note 2 a year ago i was promised (by a lot of reviewers of the device) a two days of decent use !
i never got that ! instead i got one day with a minimum use !
any suggestions ?!
any one get the two days use?

Lalit
  • Admin

Feb 7, 2014, 8:58:33 AM via Website

Louay A. Elhai
hello guys
before i brought my note 2 a year ago i was promised (by a lot of reviewers of the device) a two days of decent use !
i never got that ! instead i got one day with a minimum use !
any suggestions ?!
any one get the two days use?

I don't think you could get two days of promised use with Note 2, I may have been possible if you have switched your data connection or Wi-Fi inactive, dim down your display to minimum, and you have enabled power saver, installed a battery saver and keep you phone in the same way than I can promised you two days of decent use. :lol:

john walker

Feb 7, 2014, 12:19:15 PM via Website

I don’t know why people are saying this, but personally I have experience good battery backup while using internet and games also. So I have given my opinion for this. Before i have problem but sorted out while contacting with support care.They have shared information for improving battery quality.

— modified on Feb 7, 2014, 12:24:43 PM

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 28, 2014, 12:38:55 PM via Website

I own Moto G right now and it probably has one of the best battery life on the market right now, despite being a mid-end smartphone. My phone usually can last around all day long, of course in one full charge. Even if i use for playing intensive games, it still gives me a lot of hours in one day. Trust me, i'm totally lucky to have this phone in my side.

SC Tan

Mar 30, 2014, 5:56:41 PM via Website

Please be very careful when you buy products from Samsung Service Centres. I bought a Made-in-Korea S4 battery at a Samsung Service Centre in Singapore last June/July. This spare battery and my S4 phone battery (Made-in-China) have rapid battery discharge and charging problems. The Service Centre exchanged the Made-in-China battery but claimed that the Made-in-Korea battery is a fake one and would exchange only if I have the receipt.

Dvoraak
  • Forum posts: 86

Apr 1, 2014, 3:51:58 AM via Website

Not exactly the answer asked for but I bought an Anker 7800 mAh battery for my stock S4 and WOW! It's an overweight, bulked up beast now but with medium use I only have to charge it once every 60 hours or so. And as an added bonus, the extra bulk has actually made it more comfortable to hold.

Aikin Joseph
  • Forum posts: 11

Apr 21, 2014, 6:48:49 PM via Website

I need to charge my Google Nexus 4 twice a day ! I am really unsatisfied with the battery life.

magez
  • Forum posts: 16

Apr 30, 2014, 7:48:24 AM via Website

I always charge my phone at night while I sleeping, then I have all day to use it. I'm still happy with it.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 18, 2014, 5:32:53 PM via Website

Tons of people are reporting that the developer preview of Android L is already adding a LOT of battery life to their smartphone, so we can only imagine how good it will be when its all official.

Also, our recent survey on battery life (things you could live without for better battery life) showed some interesting results.

• Pre-installed apps of any kind got 69% of the votes (you could select more than one category), so it seems users would prefer NO apps to too many.
  • Manufacturer user interfaces was right up there with 52% of the vote.
  • Software features raked at number three with 44% of the vote, making it seem like our readers are not so big on all the gimmicky software features they don't really need or use.
  • Display brightness came in just behind number three with 42% of the vote, making us realize that a super-bright display might actually be more of a hindrance than a benefit and is something a lot of people would be willing to do without for better battery life.

I know I'll get Samsung-bashing comments for this, but don't these four things sound like all the things Samsung are known for?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 7:58:12 AM via Website

My Nexus 5 is still ""genuinely"" stock - CM 11, yet no different mods. I took a couple battery utilize minimization steps (the ones Loie said above) and a couple others I did exclude in the video, yet I get a huge amount of battery out of my N5 - effectively a day and a half in case I'm not pounding it (which I typically am, and still, at the end of the day it's a crisp morning without any issues). I checked a little while ago and it's at 66% following 17 hours off charge (truly 6-7 of those I was dozing), yet as you specified, I was expecting much more awful.

Arthur Shevchuk
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 31, 2016, 8:28:37 AM via Website

My next phone wil lbe dumb phone because I hate charging my phone every day

Jaskulski
  • Forum posts: 31

Nov 1, 2016, 2:02:15 PM via Website

I own a S6 and I charge it 2-3 times per day. It's time for a powercase since I don't want to carry bulky powerrbank with me.
I recently purchased the product from I-blades. Can't wait to get it and see what can do and how it acts. Considered the Nexpaq also

— modified on Dec 21, 2016, 2:40:19 PM

SamiJulie
  • Forum posts: 21

Nov 15, 2016, 8:31:49 AM via Website

So do you mean you are trying to figure out why your battery life is shorter? Do you ever think of the cause and solution of overheated battery on your phone? You found your phone is overheated after watching the movie or playing the music for a while usually. Then you should be aware of the potential threat. According to some news reported, some phone users get hurt because their phones exploded and even some dead finally because of the explosion of the battery. So, how to save Battery on Android?

— modified on Dec 22, 2016, 8:12:56 AM