Which budget Android phone works on T-Mobile in Las Vegas?

• Replies:6
owenmc60
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 14, 2014, 10:29:55 AM via Website

Hi,

I'm due to go on holiday later this year to Las Vegas (coming from the UK). The best tariff I've found is T-Mobile PAYG. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300), which, as far as I'm aware, isn't compatible with T-Mobile's US network.

I'm looking to sell this handset just before I leave and pick up a cheap budget Android off eBay that is definitely compatible with T-Mobile whilst I'm in Las Vegas. Can someone inform me of both some good cheap options and the bands that T-Mobile specifically uses for USA/Las Vegas?

Thanks alot in advance :grin:

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 14, 2014, 10:41:01 AM via Website

Personally I'd go for the Moto G. It works on all GSM networks, has 4.4.2, and is pretty cheap.

Sinkster

owenmc60

Jan 14, 2014, 11:13:37 AM via Website

Thanks for that, looks like a very interesting choice! Initially I was put off by the £160 price tag new (I know thats cheap for a new phone, but I was looking for something around £70ish 2nd hand on eBay). But after looking around on eBay I can see that you can get this phone 2nd hand for around £80/90ish (if you keep a sharp eye on listings). And that will surely drop as it gets closer to my trip!

Do you have any other suggestions around my pricepoint that I can compare the Moto G with? Cheers!

sinkster

Jan 14, 2014, 11:41:55 AM via Website

It depends. If it's only for while you're overseas then some of the newer lower end galaxy models (ace II/III/Y) are tri/quad-band. Being a Samsung user already you'll probably be more comfortable with these than a new ui. You can also pick up pretty decent generic android phones with a dual/quad-core MediaTek chip that run 4.2.2 and are dual sim for under £80 unlocked. If you're looking to use the phone back home then I'd def go with the Moto G.

Sinkster

owenmc60

Jan 14, 2014, 11:49:59 AM via Website

Hi, thanks again for all this great advice! Whilst I do have a Samsung phone currently, its got a custom ROM so I'm pretty used to all different kinds of UI's. The phone I'll be taking to Vegas will be strictly for the 2 week trip. I'll be due an upgrade by then, so I'll be listing the phone on eBay as soon as I'm back and getting a new contract.

The Moto G looks like a great choice for the price. I think it should hold its resale value well too. I'm now thinking I should sell my Galaxy S3 sooner rather than later because I imagine as soon as the S5 is officially announced the S3's value will plummet (being 2 gens old and whatnot). I can get about £190/200 2nd hand for my current S3, which would put £100ish into my pocket after buying a Moto G.

sinkster

Jan 14, 2014, 12:10:40 PM via Website

I think it's your best option, I was actually considering the Moto G before I got my Nexus. There's already an unofficial CM11, so the support should be pretty good.

Sinkster

Luis Enrique
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 11, 2014, 10:38:20 PM via Website

Hi,

The Moto G is one of the best cheap smartphones available nowadays, also you have the chance of get the last Android OS platform (KitKat 4.2.2) without the need of flash custom ROMs in the phone. There's also a dual SIM version, which is pretty useful if you're on a trip, so yeah... if you choose this phone you'll be doing a good decision.

Regards