Android in 2014.

• Replies:9
Anders Bagger
  • Forum posts: 57

Jan 21, 2014, 2:13:16 PM via Website

I have just been wondering about the future of Android, or rather Android in 2014.
After having looked at spec's, trends and stuff, my bet is the following for 2014.

Memmory. Well. If it's on Android as it is in Windows. Then the limit is 4 gigabyte ram for 32 bit systems.
Now we have phones with 2 gigabyte, and as KitKat is being pushed out, 2 gigabyte is more than enough.
Samsung, Htc and others can now settle with 1 gigabyte, and that makes cheaper devices or more powerfull
devices in terms of cpu and gpu power, wich they can focus on instead of ram.

We would likely see more and more stock/vanilla Android roms, launched on devices.
By that I am thinking of the kind of aproach that Motorola is taking, with the X model.
You know... Special kind of hardware, instead of some sort of software sollution.
And with more and more people enjoying the stock look of android, less companies are making special
launchers and special modefication of the Android user interface.

Battery. Well... I will like to belive that they are pushing for better battery life on devices from now.
This might be a focus-point in 2014. I really hope that they will be doing so.

Build quality in devices will be better also. Maby some sort of metal, covered with a type of rubber. Or something
just like that. And they might look into more colors more choices. Perhaps a build in cover/case in default design.

This is just some of my predictions. How about you?

— modified on Jan 21, 2014, 11:47:49 PM

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 21, 2014, 7:22:23 PM via Website

Interesting thoughts.

I'd like to think more people would be jumping on the bandwagon of better battery life. Surely they can make our batteries last longer than a day or two!
I also hope that we'll see hardware developments increasing speed. That's one thing Apple still has on us, I think, is less lag.
On the same note, every Android device I've ever had crashed fairly often. Apple still has the one up on that one too. More stability would be nice.

I agree with you that vanilla Android systems are becoming more the norm. I sure hope that trend continues. I'd also like to see less preinstalled bloatware.

--I do a good impression of myself--

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 22, 2014, 5:22:53 AM via Website

well, claps for you vision... but according to my vision in 2013 Android market share is again going to rise up to almost 95% and the shares with Windows Phone will grew up slightly while iOS remains to be in the cold box and will suffer constant decline but i guess still it will remain in use ... :D

Anders Bagger

Jan 23, 2014, 3:06:04 PM via Website

John Farrell
well, claps for you vision... but according to my vision in 2013 Android market share is again going to rise up to almost 95% and the shares with Windows Phone will grew up slightly while iOS remains to be in the cold box and will suffer constant decline but i guess still it will remain in use ... :D

Perhaps that is true in Europe and Asia. Especially in China. In the states, it is a different thing. They are more common to choose an Apple device over an Android powered device. Why I do not know. Just a hint i get from watching youtube, reading tech-news from America versus Europe and stuff like that.
Still. Things do change, and i think that phones like Moto-X "Made in the US", could somehow inspire more americans to act "patriotic" or something.

I can say this much. Vestern Europe is more or less Android-land.

Lalit
  • Admin

Jan 24, 2014, 6:14:57 AM via Website

Anders Bagger
John Farrell

Perhaps that is true in Europe and Asia. Especially in China. In the states, it is a different thing. They are more common to choose an Apple device over an Android powered device. Why I do not know. Just a hint i get from watching youtube, reading tech-news from America versus Europe and stuff like that.
Still. Things do change, and i think that phones like Moto-X "Made in the US", could somehow inspire more americans to act "patriotic" or something.

I can say this much. Vestern Europe is more or less Android-land.

Yes very true, trends are changing in just a blink of an eye. There is no perfect answer what the upcoming trend would be ...

Anders Bagger

Jan 24, 2014, 12:31:12 PM via Website

Yes-sir....
In Denmark we have had this Nokia craze in the late 90's and early 00's. Then it changed, because of the new breed of Sony Ericsson.
Roughly 50% for Nokia and 50% for Sony Ericsson..... Well, some other brands mixed in between the two. (anyway, you get the picture)

Then Apple came with the iPhone, and HTC with their (i might not be correct on the name) Magic, and all is history for Nokia.
Samsung took the throne eventually, and Apple has been left behind in the shadow for a couple of years now.
Yet... Apple had one or two really good years in denmark.
Apple do, however, have a hardcore group of followers here in Denmark. Mostly people in between 40 and 80 and amoungst teenagers.

All other phones sold here, is some sort of Android device. Mixed in with the usual hardcore group of feature phone users.
I actually want a feature phone, just for the sake of having a backup device. I really wan't an old Nokia 3100. Yes. An old, old 3100.

In 2009 or 2010, Sony Ericsson had a really great year in Denmark (or just the city were i live). Everybody bought some type of xperia phone.
Wether it was a x8, arc or the big x10. Then Samsung took over, and here we are today. Talking nothing but S3/S4/S5 and stuff.

It shure has changed a lot.... Really a lot the last couple of decades.

— modified on Jan 24, 2014, 12:34:08 PM

Heather Hess
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 10, 2014, 1:07:50 PM via Website

Well I think Android will improve further in this year...4.4 Kitkat has quite good interface, and I think Android will improve it further...

Turmin
  • Forum posts: 12

Feb 19, 2014, 12:52:49 PM via Website

Anroid 5.0

Lalit
  • Admin

Feb 21, 2014, 9:15:36 AM via Website

Still devices haven't got the KitKat update and mr @turmin is moving to Android 5.0 !! heee....heee.... well but there are chances that Google will announce Android XYZ....5.0 :p