How to recover lost data (root and non-root methods)

• Replies:15
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 6, 2014, 6:08:10 PM via Website

Act fast. Lost data is not lost until it is overwritten, so the sooner you attempt recovery the better.

Normal method

If you are not rooted, use a third party computer program like Coolmuster or Recuva.

Install the program and connect your Android to your computer with a USB cable or your memory card with a microSD card reader.

Follow the prompts in the program - select where you want to search, what you want to search for and follow the individual program's steps.

Once you get your files back, save them somewhere other than where they were originally lost, in case there is corruption in your device's memory. Once you have them safely saved on your computer for example you can transfer a copy over to your device again.

Rooted method

If you're rooted, thing are a lot simpler.

Install an app like Undelete and follow the prompts. Nothing to it!

If, for some reason, you have root an Undelete is incapable or recovering your lost files you can simply follow the process above and use your computer.

— modified on Feb 6, 2014, 6:08:18 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jon Hunter

krutipatel
  • Forum posts: 1

May 7, 2014, 10:28:02 AM via Website

The first thing you should do when you accidentally lost pictures from the card is STOP immediately using the SD. Because any write or edit may cause the lost data become "lost for good" simply due to OVERWRITTEN.
And here is a article about how to recover lost data from an Android phone, which may help with even a root Android:
recovery-android.com/recover-data-from-android.html

— modified on May 9, 2014, 3:31:30 AM

Loie Favremrfollow

KaridaAnne

Oct 31, 2014, 9:43:22 AM via Website

Thanks for your informative, as far as know there are two place to store the data on Anroid, SIM and sd card, some data recovery programs don't identify the data that stored in SIM card, if you need to recover photos, videos, files, then try some free data recovery, if you need to restore sms, contacts, call history, then you need to try professioinal SIM card data recovery.
recovery-tool.com

— modified on Nov 6, 2014, 7:40:56 AM

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 11

Oct 31, 2014, 5:00:37 PM via Website

KaridaAnne

Thanks for your informative, as far as know there are two place to store the data on Anroid, SIM and sd card, some data recovery programs don't identify the data that stored in SIM card, if you need to recover photos, videos, files, then try some free data recovery, if you need to restore sms, contacts, call history, then you need to try professional admin edit: external links are forbidden

I know the contacts ,messages are stored in SIM card or internal memory, but SD. some freeware cannot identify SIM or internal memory.

— modified on Dec 31, 2014, 7:36:04 AM by moderator

Melody Gong

Jan 5, 2015, 4:59:15 AM via Website

Maybe this will help people that stumble across this thread-->> admin edit: external links are forbidden

Just let's me know if it helps.(laughing)

— modified on Jan 5, 2015, 3:25:33 PM by moderator

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 18

Jan 9, 2015, 9:42:10 AM via Website

I don't agree with you, a 3-rd party recovery program will automatically root your cellphone once you enabled usb debugging. Otherwise, the data cannot be detected and recovered. That's the technology common sense.

Neelesh Patel
  • Forum posts: 12

Jan 27, 2015, 4:09:09 PM via Website

Stapples Tagen

Undelete is a great app for data restore.

Really? But why it keeps crashed when I running it on my computer? I also used freeware Recuva, but not works!

Shirley C
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 5, 2015, 3:35:42 AM via Website

H-Data Recovery Master is a great Android Data Recover to help you get back deleted, lost, corrupted or formatted photos, videos, music and other media files from various PC/laptop or portable devices. It works beautiful on recovering data from Micro-SD card, Digital card, Mini SD card, CF card, flash card , Memory stick and other Multimedia card, as well as Pen drive, mobile phone, USB flash drive, etc.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 18

Mar 6, 2015, 2:26:36 AM via Website

@ Uriqi Lippman ,An article found on Google may help: admin edit: external links are frobidden

— modified on Mar 6, 2015, 7:56:30 AM by moderator

OalfRob
  • Forum posts: 20

Jul 22, 2015, 4:50:58 AM via Website

H-Data Recovery Master is not bad. I tried a lot of recovery tool, only H-Data Recover 95% of my lost files.

AExpert Fernando
  • Forum posts: 77

Jul 22, 2015, 8:43:00 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing this informative information i am sure lot of people are having this kind of problem on that kind of thing.

OalfRob
  • Forum posts: 20

Jul 30, 2015, 4:41:32 AM via Website

H-Data Recovery Master is not bad. I tried a lot of recovery tool, only H-Data Recover 95% of my lost files.

selinaway
  • Forum posts: 5

Jun 14, 2016, 6:35:41 PM via Website

when you accidentally lost photo or cantacts from the card is STOP immediately using the SD.
Because any what you did for your phone can cause the lost data , which can overwritten.
And here is a toturial about how to recover lost data from an Android phone, which may help with even a root Android:
recoverymobiledata.com/android_phone_data_recovery.html

Momsen Liu
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 29, 2017, 3:46:04 AM via Website

THAT'S true ! if the software doesn't root your device then they can't get the allowance to browse your storage piece by piece.

nacute11 jime
  • Forum posts: 9

Dec 23, 2017, 2:59:01 PM via Website

If the data is not removed, you can use a recovery tool to get data back.