Monetization of Android apps -- what could be the future ways ?

• Replies:9
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 39

Apr 1, 2014, 12:04:51 PM via Website

Hi guys and all people over there ,

We all invest our efforts in developing Android apps or games.We expect to generate money out of it.

In App purchases , advertisements and product showcase and e-commerce are traditional ways to monetize the app.

What could be the next big things arriving in this domain ?

Will virtual coins play important role ?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 1, 2014, 12:21:05 PM via Website

Well, Virtual coins do play importance today ! I remember using a batter saver app that gives me two option either to make in app purchase to activate their services or collect some virtual coins by downloading some app in order to unlock it. So, in my case virtual coins do play importance.

Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account

Apr 2, 2014, 7:16:00 AM via Website

Yeah john, I agree with you ! Virtual coins will rise. It is not imaginary in future , if share markets will introduce virtual coins price against real money like gold. So that you can exchange virtual coins with real money. App business would go in other direction with that! Money will flow , products will be sold like never before.

Guys do you have any idea regarding monetization techniques ?
How can we develop an eco system where everyone gets benefited - developers , users and monetization platform providers ?
I think, we are getting out of era of Google , Apple and Microsoft. Now we don't have to follow their business ecosystem. We should create our own!!

Do share your ideas , let it be anything ! We are in future world.

— modified on Apr 2, 2014, 8:53:04 AM

Deactivated Account

Apr 3, 2014, 10:05:04 AM via Website

Hi people ,
If you find fantastic FREE app and you get audio advertisements.
Say for example , if you have audio reminder app. Each audio reminder is sponsored by some product.i.e. After hearing your reminder , you will hear 5 second audio ad.

Will you get irritated or would you be happy to know about product mentioned in ads or will it be just ok (Tolerable) for you since you have got FREE app just supported by advertisement ?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Apr 3, 2014, 12:06:22 PM via Website

Ads don't bother me too much, as long as they're not too insistent, though as John says it's better if they're optional rather than compulsory such as virtual coins, extension packs or added options. If the audio ad was subtle, or was headphone only, then I don't think that would be a problem.

Sinkster

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 4, 2014, 6:08:31 PM via Website

I'd be very wary of audio ads, although I'd probably just mute them anyway.

Depending on how they were done (insterstitial ads for example with audio) then they might be ok, but right now I don't mind banner ads at all and even popups between stages etc are pretty standard and acceptable in my mind.

Devs have to make money somehow, it's just got to be a fine balance between pushing ads at the right ratio for the usefulness of the app.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account

Apr 7, 2014, 10:32:26 AM via Website

I feel , people don't have any problem with audio ads until they are not too insistent.
Just highlighting the product for one time is ok with all the options to mute /pause / stop audio in ads.

And perhaps , someone needs to invent some excellent idea for monetization of free app to avoid bombardments of advertisements.

I have an idea , what if whole app is built for some product highlight and developer gets money for the installs. No pop up ads , no audio , no banner ads.
Just app icon , app design , splash screen is developed to highlight the product.

Say for example , I have to highlight HTC one from HTC , I would make theme of my app look like HTC including Icons ,buttons and other possible visuals.
But I don't have any banner ads , irritating pop ups etc.

Clara
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 9, 2014, 1:05:55 PM via Website

There are ways to monetize your app by offering users virtual coins for installs, however usually the payouts for this incentivised traffic is lower. Having the user download the app because he wants to is what advertisers are looking for - and so payouts will be higher for this, helping you earn more money from your app

I agree with Kris in that showing ads at the right time in an app, and not bombarding the user with ads is key to maximising revenue. I'd also add, showing attractive ad content and keeping the graphics clean and high-quality are really important too

Audio ads in apps which are audio based could work really well, but in apps which aren't, I don't think it would be as successful (muting the sound or using a phone in silent mode would really limit their effectiveness)
Great to hear your ideas though!

Tooleap
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 23, 2014, 2:48:20 PM via Website

After the recent policy change, google are much more sensitive about ad placement. In the past out-of-app ads like notifications ads and home screen icon ads were common, but now google bans them altogether.

RobertV
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 7, 2015, 10:23:20 AM via Website

Prolly virtual coins will play bigger role than they are today, specially when monopoly by google or apple gonna allow it or not. But I guess the next big thing happens rather quiet. Personally I think next push is made by Ad networks and their R&D teams. They are working hard to get the most out of the market. I just suggest to be up to date.