Why are my contacts not showing in WhatsApp? (How to fix)

• Replies:64
  • Stickied
Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Apr 8, 2014, 4:27:28 PM via Website

Why are my contacts not showing in WhatsApp? (How to fix)

If your contact does not appear in the Select contact list, please try the following steps:

1. Make sure that you have your friend's phone number in your address book.
  2. Make sure that your friend is using WhatsApp Messenger.
  3. Make sure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp. If not, you can download the latest WhatsApp version.
  4. In your Android phone book, make sure that all contact accounts (i.e. SIM, Google, Phone) & contact groups (i.e. Friends, Family) are "visible" or "viewable".
  5. It is recommended that you make your contacts "not visible" & then "visible" to force a refresh. After doing this launch WhatsApp -> Contact list (the chat bubble button on the bottom of the main screen) -> Menu Button (⋮) -> Refresh.

Alternatively, you can use all your contacts, not just the "visible" ones. To do this go to Menu Button > Settings > Contacts > Show all contacts.

Check other solutions in the article linked below:
Contacts not showing in WhatsApp? Here’s how to fix this annoying problem!

— modified on Feb 21, 2022, 12:43:03 PM by moderator

Nikhil Jain
  • Forum posts: 11

Aug 10, 2014, 1:59:37 AM via Website

Nice post I just want to add : If the above steps do not work ( and you have checked that the contact is using whatsapp and you have your contacts correct number) just switch of your phone and remove and re insert your sim and restart the device..!! :)

Helpful?
Alia Singh
Deppon Lian
  • Forum posts: 17

Oct 11, 2014, 6:22:40 PM via Website

Really great tutorials. I saw a bunch of users across different forums had the same problem with this.

Helpful?
Martin Rooke
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 2, 2015, 1:57:13 PM via Website

When I open WhatsApp and go to my Chats window (iPhone 5) one of my contacts photo refreshes (flicks on and off quickly).
This doesn't always happen and it only happens with the same contact.
Can someone tell me what that contact is doing (or has done) at the other end to make this happen?
Thanks, Martin

Helpful?
Sonali Chauhan
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 18, 2015, 8:13:48 AM via Website

It's such a nice & amazing tutorial about WhatsApp contacts. Everything is perfect & well understand by this tutorial.

Helpful?
Timothy Ward
EdwardSmith36
  • Forum posts: 85

Jan 13, 2016, 9:53:19 AM via Website

Perfect answer!(cool) Thanks for the IMAGE

Helpful?
Joseph Collins
  • Forum posts: 15

Feb 2, 2016, 12:24:27 PM via Website

You might have not given the permission to application to read your mobile's contact. So following are the steps to perform and mostly its common for all android device. Only a bit may differ.

security -> Permission -> Application -> Whatsapp -> Allow to read contacts

Helpful?
Lucy Wainaina, anurag saikia and 1 more Lucy Wainainaanurag saikiaDeactivated Account
Steve Bollinger

Apr 1, 2016, 6:03:35 AM via Website

This is most annoying to be told to :

Android phone book, make sure that all contact accounts (i.e. SIM, Google, Phone) & contact groups (i.e. Friends, Family) are "visible" or "viewable".

There is NO "visible" or "viewable" setting that I can find in my android 6.0 contacts list. and I STILL cannot see my contact in WhatsApp. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Steve
+1 650-691-3683

Helpful?
strazydaze, Timothy Ward and 1 more strazydazeTimothy WardDeactivated Account
Working Out Mumma

Sep 20, 2016, 1:52:49 AM via Website

This just tells me what what what's app tells me to do with contacts. I still cant find all and there's no invisible/visible option. How do i find contacts in my note 5 when it won't find the name or number in my phone and ik that my friends have the app

Helpful?
strazydazeKhan
Christie Rodriguez
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 12:16:02 PM via Website

I did it and got reinforcement my contacts effectively, much appreciated!

Helpful?
Timothy Ward
  • Forum posts: 8

Oct 17, 2016, 1:49:16 PM via Website

Really appreciable. Thanks for sharing

Helpful?
Khan
anurag saikia

Dec 12, 2016, 9:23:49 PM via Website

That was so brilliant of you mate ... Hats off to you Sir

Helpful?
Varun Chopra

Mar 14, 2017, 11:15:59 AM via Website

Faced the similar issue where names of whatsapp contacts were not shown.
Problems with Permissions
Go to Apps > Whatsapp > Permissions > Grant all Permissions
After that restart your phone. Everything will be good.

Helpful?
Khan
Moz

Mar 18, 2017, 6:06:11 AM via Website

Why does the new whatsupp update miss the contacts tab, and has two tabs for photo? Whyyyyyy??? (angry)

I add a new contact and cannot refresh to find the new contacts. I had to exit whatsapp, go to my contacts & select the whatsapp option of that contact to use it to open a whatsapp conversation with them. Which means if my contacts had no ability to detect a registered whatsapp contact, I'd never chat new people on whatsapp. (thinking)

*No, my contacts are not hidden.
*Yes I tried to search the new name from a new chat but it does not appear.

— modified on Mar 18, 2017, 6:09:22 AM

Helpful?
strazydazeKhan
Romei Goel
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 11, 2017, 8:26:51 AM via Website

I can't see the status after the new updates in whatsapp...

Helpful?
Juned Memon
  • Forum posts: 14

May 15, 2017, 4:30:43 PM via Website

Same happened with me then I manually allow whatsapp to access my contacts through permissions....
Now its fine...
Thanks dude!!!

Helpful?
Khan
TopTrendz

Jun 28, 2017, 2:00:10 PM via Website

Thanks for the nice tips, it works

Helpful?
Julie Ramsunder

Jul 5, 2017, 12:12:56 PM via Website

Thank you SO much. I've been struggling with my device for weeks and this worked awesome

Helpful?
Liu Huanhuan
  • Forum posts: 22

Jul 5, 2017, 5:49:12 PM via Website

I haven't come across such problem yet, but my wife had the problem before. And we didn't know how to solve that and left it be. How great it would be if I saw this. Anyway, thanks for posting this, it may be useful in the future.

Helpful?
Khan
martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Jul 18, 2017, 11:33:31 AM via Website

Nice post..

Helpful?
Khan
Rothman
  • Forum posts: 20

Aug 9, 2017, 4:18:09 AM via Website

Under this situation, I always tried REFRESH. Every time it works.

Helpful?
jangkhosat chongloi

Aug 22, 2017, 8:14:21 PM via Website

I do have saved one of my friend phone number in Android contact book but not visible in WhatsApp contact list.I done every setting regarding contact but stop it doesn't show.Is there any trick to block others that can't allow to save phone number in WhatsApp?
Please give me a solution.

Helpful?
Tushar Rajale

Sep 14, 2017, 6:57:24 PM via Website

I have done what you wrote but still my phone contact are not showing by WhatsApp contact list. Gmail contact around 2000 and WhatsApp is 1123 only

Helpful?
strazydaze
Mauricio Fiss

Oct 14, 2017, 4:21:28 PM via Website

Thanks for the advice, I reseted the permissions and was having trouble with whatsapp contacts. Great advice!

Helpful?
M K

Oct 24, 2017, 7:48:04 AM via Website

I have tried all the given fixes but am still not being able get all the contacts in my phonebook to get synced to whatsapp.
Is there anything else that I can do?

Is there a way to get in touch with whatsapp's customer care over the phone call.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Helpful?
strazydaze
Ken Kulow

Nov 21, 2017, 12:28:57 AM via Website

Nothing on this thread is working, and, I can see other users struggling with this. I've completed all of the pointers, resets, updates, upgrades, power on and offs and still cannot get a new contact to show up on my whatsapp from my google/Android contacts.

Helpful?
strazydaze
Danish Qureshi
  • Forum posts: 42

Jan 30, 2018, 11:42:36 AM via Website

Make sure that you have saved your contacts' phone numbers in your phone's address book. Make sure you have allowed WhatsApp to access your phone's contacts in your phone's Settings app. In your phone's address book, make sure that all accounts and groups are set to "visible"

— modified on Mar 22, 2018, 1:06:17 PM

Helpful?
Christoffer Strandell

Jan 31, 2018, 5:32:59 PM via Website

In a late to reply to Timothy Ward, I had the same issue and it drove me crazy... and same observation, nowhere in any settings of neither Whatapps, nor my device, nor my Contact list, nor the applications settings of Whatsapps, there is anything that is "viewable" or "visible".

But hold on... try this: tap on WhatsApp Message Icon icon and then go to Menu > Help. There are some instructions and at the bottom there is a button: Show invisible contacts. Press the button.

Now, lo and behold, it shows me several thousands of my contacts, which, according to Whatsapp are all hidden, I do not know why. But above the list of contacts, there is checkbox saying "show all contacts, not only the visible ones". And when I checked the box, magic happened.

Helpful?
Mardea Mumpuni

Feb 12, 2018, 7:26:12 AM via Website

just experience the same problem for days.
My Whatsapp contact name is back by change the permission in your phone settings.
Settings > Installed Apps > Whatsapp > Permission manager > tick on "read your contact"

Helpful?
Abdulrahman N. Shaibu
Felix Nsonde

Feb 19, 2018, 11:33:27 AM via Website

Wauh this is one the best answers, it works for me, all my contacts are back for me, thank you so much.

Appreciated.

Helpful?
Peter Ward

Apr 29, 2018, 7:41:05 PM via Website

My contacts are not appearing in WhatsApp. I have tried:

• setting my contacts as visible or viewable - no such setting appears to exist;
  • showing all contacts in WhatsApp; again, no such setting appears to exist;
  • switching off my phone and re-inserting the SIM; nothing changed;
  • allowing WhatsApp to read contacts in security > permission settings; no such setting exists;
  • granting permissions in Application manager >WhatsApp; WhatsApp is allowed to read contacts, but no setting to allow all permissions exists.

If anyone could suggest a setting I could change that actually exists, I would greatly appreciate it.

Helpful?
miracle ofoma

Apr 30, 2018, 6:52:29 AM via Website

Why don't you refresh your WhatsApp contact manually. By taping on the contact list and scrolling up the screen to refresh it. Also make sure your app is up to date.

Helpful?
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,583

Apr 30, 2018, 1:19:37 PM via Website

miracle ofoma

Why don't you refresh your WhatsApp contact manually. By taping on the contact list and scrolling up the screen to refresh it. Also make sure your app is up to date.

Yes., refresh your WhatsApp contact. And the latest version is V2.18.119.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
Ceciclia Garcia
  • Forum posts: 44

May 3, 2018, 5:33:52 AM via Website

I also meet such case,look forward the good solution.If any new,please feel free to let me know.

Helpful?
Peter Ward

May 5, 2018, 12:07:29 AM via Website

Thanks for the replies. I have the latest version. Unfortunately updating the contact list didn't work.

Helpful?
Zona Sorrel

May 28, 2018, 11:28:18 AM via Website

But now i cant see the contacts option in my setting. please help me to show the hidden contacts in my whatsapp

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 18

Jun 2, 2018, 7:21:39 PM via Website

Perfect Answer.

Helpful?
Tony Clark
  • Forum posts: 13

Jun 28, 2018, 9:10:02 AM via Website

Hi,

I too faced the same problem, but i did the following steps which helped me resolve the issue.

To show all of your contacts, go to Contacts > Menu > Settings. Then, uncheck and re-check the box next to Show all contacts

Next, go to Contacts > Menu > Refresh

Your friend should now appear in your WhatsApp contact list.

Hope it helps!!

Cheers

Helpful?
Romi

Jan 17, 2019, 7:33:45 PM via Website

hi,

why is that when I look in my whatsapp partner phone there is a person which wrote him and he wrote ok, but it didnt appear on his contacts list, nor on his text list either.

someone help!

could it be someone trying to send him stuff... and he is not interested?

Helpful?
MitchellC

Jul 27, 2019, 10:05:10 PM via Website

I was following this thread and would like to share my findings. I did all the checks above but the sim and phone number had been changed. If you cannot select the contact from the phone’s contact list and the contact already has WhatsApp and you get the massage to invite the user to WhatsApp then this could be the problem. Go to WhatsApp settings and change the phone number

Helpful?
justanotheruser

Oct 8, 2019, 8:02:11 PM via Website

Danish Qureshi had the correct solution for me ..but just to expand a little further - if you had your contacts on your sim card, your phone may well have recognised them but they might not all (if any) be seen by Whatsapp. If you import your contacts from sim card to your phone, they should all populate their names correctly in Whatsapp. (I can't tell you the exact method to import as this may vary per phone/OS version but that should be easy to look up)

Helpful?
Khan

Oct 28, 2019, 8:54:56 AM via Website

having same problem.

Helpful?
rahim

Dec 9, 2019, 12:01:00 PM via Website

If I keyed in my contacts manually, they do not appear in my whats-app's contact list. If I add contacts from a whats-app group, they appear in my whats-app's contact list. Why is this happening? What should I do? My phone is Huawei Nova 5T.
Help.....:'(

Helpful?
rahim

Dec 9, 2019, 12:05:55 PM via Website

I have tried them as well. They don't work for me either.

Helpful?
SVJ

Jan 7, 2020, 12:46:51 PM via Website

Hi guys...I have been searching the internet in & out for a solution to this problem. I tried all ways and even factory reset my phone, as it was quite new and didn't have much data to be deleted.

Anyway, luckily for me I found a solution, which I don't know whether it will be applicable to you or not. But its worth a try. All the contacts in my Phone list were saved without Country ISD code. Once by chance I unknowingly saved 1 contact with country code (Kuwait 00965), and VOILA! that contact name appeared in Whatsapp contacts when i got in few days later. Then I tried with few more contacts by adding ISD code and all of them started appearing in Whatsapp contacts.

So try this method and let me know if it worked. THANKS!

Helpful?
strazydaze

Jan 9, 2020, 2:56:25 PM via Website

There is no, "Show invisible contacts" when I go to help.
I have tried all other tips found here but still no luck.

Helpful?
thomas lincoln

Aug 15, 2020, 12:16:54 PM via Website

Thank you for this information,,,..

Helpful?
Abdulrahman N. Shaibu

Sep 18, 2020, 7:32:08 AM via Website

U are genius.

Helpful?
MTKArena.com