has The microSD still a use in Kitkat? [Discussion Thread]

• Replies:1
My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Apr 23, 2014, 10:15:47 PM via Website

In the German Forum there was an intresting topic which I thought I should bring here, but first the prelude: To be blunt there are topics where solutions about the bug are posted and whatnot, BUT because in the GErman respective topic at least 25% are spam here some rules:

1. This is a pure discussion thread and not related into giving solutions to your problems.
  2. That does NOT mean, that you cannot say that you are having problems related to that, BUT
    • Don't expect a solution, this is just for information about how much ppl are REALLY affected by this (there are ppl who say they are not affected, coz they dont know and/or care about it, if that is the case, DON'T POST HERE!
    • State your device and Firmware version (not just android version, since manufaturers also have build numbers, since there can be different builds on one specific Android version [especially Samsung]), so we have an information about it
    • more than anything, don't just post "doesnt work with X on Y, but also at least TRY to post something productive.

3. Have fun.

So me first: I think that it's really bad from Google and even worse (bluntly said, no offense) that the manufaturers are too dumb to fix it or tell the support what's going on. ->for those who can understand German here something to laugh at: http://fnetmobile.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/android-kitkat-4-4-und-der-frust-mit-den-schreibrechten-von-drittanbieter-apps-auf-die-externe-speicherkarte/

also about Koush's (ClockworkMod's dev and also one of the CyanogenMod Team) statement on Android Police regarding MicroSD cards:

AP: What's your position on the SD card access situation in Android 4.4? Koush: The SD card needs to go away. It's a nightmare for developers. There's too much variability here. SD Cards can be slow, resulting in poor app performance. They can come and go, or be swapped, and that results in unpredictable behavior if an app was expecting an SD card. One contiguous block of data needs to become the standard here (with different OEM SKUs for more/less storage), as it has been on iOS since the first iPhone.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/18/interview-koushik-koush-dutta-on-leaving-cyanogen-inc-and-his-return-to-clockworkmod/

Well to be honest, I think he is overstating it. I mean OTG devices are still in android and pretty much EVERY PC OS has NO problems with diffentiating HDD sizes secondary HDDs and whatnot. And IF They want to shut off mSDs than only on Devices with 256GB+

MFG/Regards My1

Jacca A.

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

May 26, 2014, 7:13:44 AM via Website

Wait a sec.
"Using our Services does not give you ownership of any intellectual property rights in our Services or the content you access."
does not mean that you down own your FILES anymore. it just means that you dont get property rights for the SERVICE itself.

You must read a bit further, there's even a headline:

Your Content in our Services

"Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours."

and even though google wants quite some rights it says:

"The rights that you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

Source: http://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/policies/terms/

so Google ain't as bad as you think, but still if you have bad reception or a very slow internet conection it is still no good Idea...

MFG/Regards My1