How to fix Google Play error 491

• Replies:27
  • Stickied
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Apr 24, 2014, 5:50:50 PM via Website

Hey guys,

If you get the message saying error 491 when using the Google Play Store, this means that a download or update was impossible at that moment. But do not worry, there is a way to fix this.

1. First, you need to remove and then reinstate later your Google account. This you can do in the settings of your Android device, under accounts, tap on the Google option and then hit the menu button and select remove account.
  2. Before adding it in again, restart your Android smartphone or tablet.
  3. Now, add the account once again by going by the same route to get to the option in settings. Next, go to the Applications or Apps section in the settings and swipe left until you see all apps.
  4. Scroll down until you find Google services. Here clear the data and the cache in the app info, and finally force stop.

This should do the trick!!

— modified on Apr 24, 2014, 5:51:51 PM

Rick Diestel

Andrew Trudeau
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 4, 2015, 12:36:16 AM via Website

I have found this bug to be fix with a phone restart.
Power down your phone
Then power up again.
That may fix the bug for now.
I am not saying the staff is not a good fix just that there is another way to do it.

jacob okoro

ver_1_alpha
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 29, 2015, 1:17:03 AM via Website

I fix it with such scheme

1) clean play market updates.
2) restart phone in recovery mode
3) clean dalvic cashe in recovery mode.

The first step is not necessary for some devices.

Valeriu CHILIAN

Nov 25, 2015, 11:30:18 AM via Website

I had try remove and re-add my google account, clean all data and the cache, reboot the system to the factory setting but nothing has been resolved.
But I observe that changing connection to another wireless connections the tablet has no problem downloading new apps from google. I reset my home wireless and the problem was resolved.

Zing AAlee

Mar 11, 2016, 6:37:19 PM via Website

NO need to do too much things.............just restart phone and then try again.......... it will strt downloading............ i have tried it......and it worked

jacob okoro

Gwen Walcott

Jul 18, 2016, 4:05:53 PM via Website

This account deletion thing is like trying to kill a mosquito with a sledge hammer:
-- first, you are assuming that this happens during downloading of any/all apps
-- my problem is with only one app from one manufacturer --- ALL other apps download just fine. Just one app updating generates the error.
I'm not willing to potentially wipe out settings and savings of all other tied apps to fix a single problem.

Better response would be to explain ---- IN DETAIL ---- what is generating the code and exactly what the code means (what is the internal operation of the O/S doing when the error occurs?)

Frank Innocent

Sep 21, 2016, 8:55:52 PM via Website

This really worked for me on my ZTE max pro... I downloaded this app from my browser " APKPure". Search for it on Google. once I installed it, I opened it and searched for Google app, updated it and WaLaa, everything worked

Ronnie DossShandra Bailey

Amy Poole

Jan 23, 2017, 11:25:48 AM via Website

Not for the ZMAX Pro. I even did factory reset and it came back. Here is the deal. It's an authentication problem. The real fix I found and tried before giving up was to go to Google.com search and download from Google ONLY a free APK file. I was about to return it and it solved the problem. Found it on YouTube from a tech called Barneman. The 491 error from hell. I tried it...It works!

Chris Barker

Mar 11, 2017, 7:17:06 AM via Website

I never sign up to post anything on forums. Ever! But I had to in order to say thank you. This actually worked. After 15 hours of racking my brain aid reading other people's ideas this one is the one that solved it. Made my day. Thank you.

Philip Burrow

Mar 19, 2017, 7:06:36 PM via Website

After trying all the other steps that did not work, I downloaded the Apk pure and it works. Thanks.

Yakout Mansour

May 30, 2017, 11:47:42 PM via Website

Not very helpful suggestions so far. The error 491 message shows when you try to download any thing from the App store. So, people who suggest downloading APKpure or file get 491 error message. It is like peeling a banana, what do you find inside? A BANANA.

Burt keefer

Jun 5, 2017, 10:15:39 AM via Website

Error 491 when downloading any app from Google Play Store... I have deleted the google account, cleared the caches force stopped.... All that and I am still getting the same error 491. Does anyone know why?

Ronnie Doss

Jun 15, 2017, 4:40:34 AM via Website

Thanks for the info. I am not good fixing phone problems and it took me a while to get this done but it works great. I could not get anything from the Play Store to download or update. Now all is updating. Thanks for your input

Sarah Melinda
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 5, 2017, 5:35:23 AM via Website

I have tried all of the above....including turning off device, clearing all data, reinstalling apps, resetting router, turning airplane mode on and off, turning WiFi on and off, etc. Nothing is working. HELP!! Lol

Sarah Melinda

Aug 5, 2017, 5:36:14 AM via Website

Same here :(

Sarah Melinda

Aug 5, 2017, 5:37:05 AM via Website

What is that?

Yousef Hammad

Aug 18, 2017, 4:17:52 PM via Website

Restart fixed it, no need for anything else :)

Thank you!

Jennifer Grey
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 20, 2017, 12:50:37 PM via Website

Go to the settings .. apps.. uninstall play services update. Then Google uninstall the update. Restart the phone Update the apps If it doesn't help then Factory reset

Bryan Brubaker

Sep 22, 2017, 7:49:47 PM via Website

I did the remove my account and restart my phone thing . I still get error code 491

Frenchblue8

Oct 10, 2017, 12:31:20 AM via Website

It's ridiculous. Ain't nobody got time for this

dluxappseo
  • Forum posts: 8

Nov 21, 2017, 8:21:46 AM via Website

1) clean play market updates.
2) restart phone in recovery mode
3) clean dalvic cashe in recovery mode.

April Gear

Mar 13, 2018, 2:05:44 AM via Website

Topapps4u >

"No need to do too much puzzle things Follow these easy steps to fix error code 491 on your android phone.

1.First open the accounts tab.
2.Tap the accounts and click the Google account.
3.Delete the account.
4.Reboot the your device.
5.As soon as your phone is done rebooting go back to where you deleted the Google account and re-add it.
OR

Check Here For more Easy solution to fix error code 491"

Thanks so much, this finally did it. I was going crazy!!! :D(cool)

— modified on Mar 13, 2018, 2:07:51 AM

Tim Rogers

May 22, 2018, 10:09:28 AM via Website

I've tried this fix and all others I could find concerning the 491 error, and nothing has worked thus far. I have a ZTE Z981 device. Any other suggestions?

Ke'Micheal Williams

Jun 19, 2018, 3:13:20 AM via Website

Did u fix it because I have a zte and I tried everything to fix it but it keeps saying error code 941

Samantha Coleman

Aug 13, 2018, 9:00:38 PM via Website

Works thank you I've been doing everything for about a week now my 3 year old has been throwing a fit because she couldn't download any more games n I tried explaining it to her but she didn't wanna hear it lol...lifesaver!!!

Belinda Waldrop

Dec 11, 2018, 1:58:27 AM via Website

as for error #49| this was not a fix, are there any other P ossible solutions. Also with this problem came another, it also told me out ofthe blue that I+ could No longer support sms to get another app.. thats when I found I couldn't load anything

AZHAR IQBAL
  • Forum posts: 30

Oct 7, 2019, 9:19:28 AM via Website

thanks, bro ;)

marychap
  • Forum posts: 12

Jul 6, 2021, 12:27:43 AM via Website

Thanks for the info. I am not good fixing phone problems and it took me a while to get this done but it works great.