What do you think about the Android Silver project?

• Replies:4
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 30, 2014, 10:24:26 AM via Website

It seems more likely that Google is going to do the premium Android Silver line in collaboration with major OEMs, with Google dictating the specifications of the devices to be made under the Silver banner. kind of like multiple Nexus devices per year instead of just one from a chosen manufacturer.

It's kind of like Google Play editions too, because the price point will be much higher, but it's unsure yet if they'll be carrier-free as they are supposedly going to be appearing in carrier stores. How carriers will feel about minimal bloat opportunities is another question.

It seems to me like it will be somewhere between an expansion of the Nexus line (and increased price point) or a more Google controlled Google Play edition, where Google largely designs the device as well.

Thoughts?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Apr 30, 2014, 11:16:40 AM via Website

If Google can persuade Samsung and Sony to commit to this I'd be all for it. I'm not a fan of Samsung touchwiz, or the physical aesthetics of their phones, but they are leading in technology advance. A phone that's designed and built by a major OEM to Google's demands would be ideal.

Sinkster

Kris Carlon

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 10, 2014, 11:48:10 AM via Website

I think it's a ploy to get forum contributors up to 700 posts in the ranking system. Amazing that AndroidPIT managed to swing the name change at Google! ;)

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 11, 2014, 12:01:31 PM via Website

paulc

I think it's a ploy to get forum contributors up to 700 posts in the ranking system. Amazing that AndroidPIT managed to swing the name change at Google! ;)

Hahaha, I can just imagine that conversation:

''Yo Google''
''Wassup AndroidPIT?''
''Not much. Hey, we were thinking it'd be like totally sweet if you named that massive new world domination plan of yours Android Silver, cos, like, you know, we're already kinda using the phrase.''
''Sure man, that'd be like totally doable.''
''Sweet Googs, thanks''
''Aight, peace!''

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Lalit

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 11, 2014, 6:39:23 PM via Website

:D

So that's how it went. Always good to get the inside track.
So when Silver arrives, you heard it here first folks!

Seriously though, Silver would be an interesting departure. Given that Nexus-style ventures are aimed at the geekier flagship end of the spectrum, and also that they have way more brand impact than the relatively small sales they generate, I'm guessing Silver will have to be similarly disruptive innovation-wise (as opposed to just one in the eye for Samsung) since Google clearly plays the very long game and can afford to buy the odd Motorola, then cleave it up and just keeps the bits they like.

So, given they've just bought Nest and announced more IoT machine interactivity on the cards, it would have to be focussed around using the OS as a cleverer personal control system (eg freezer wants to stock up on veg up to $25 for when I'm back in the country: Confirm? Driverless car wants to go and collect your Gran and Grampa: Confirm?). It would also make sense to tie all this to their own OS (rather than Android which sounds to be hamstrung with ever more conditions for manufacturers and therefore less and less 'open source') in a way that locks users in, as is happening with say, Chrome. Dave Eggers' "The Circle" wasn't far off track.

Then again, it might just be a case of chuck in a few mill and see if it flies ...