What is the best material for smartphones/tablets?

• Replies:9
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Apr 30, 2014, 1:25:47 PM via Website

Hey all!

There is a constant debate about which material is best for smartphones and tablets.

You have Samsung staying true to its polycarbonate plastic (though the S5 Prime may be made of metal....), LG has also stuck with plastic but even the G3 could be made of metal, Sony uses a mix of glass, plastic and metal, while HTC prides itself on its aluminium HTC One (M8), but has also adopted plastic on devices such as the HTC One (M7) mini.

What is your favorite material for smarpthones? Does it really matter considerig you might be buying a case for it anyways? Which one is in your eyes more durable?

Let us know! ;)

— modified on Apr 30, 2014, 1:26:03 PM

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 1, 2014, 8:12:31 AM via Website

Well, I would say metal would be a good choice because the problem with plastic body I am experiencing is I can see the cracks on my device clearly and it seems that those cracks are getting wider each day. So I would go forward with metal, yes I know having a metal case might put an extra weight in the device but I am sure that it looks much more elegant. :) Having cheap pastic body means at the starting it looks good but after a while your device will loose its look and all you are going to see is dulness, cracks and crack. :(

AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

May 1, 2014, 5:25:06 PM via Website

Aluminum in my opinion is best i did not say glass only because I think it would shatter easily glass looks and feels better for me.

Katie McLarson
  • Forum posts: 9

May 2, 2014, 1:47:18 AM via Website

I have the S5 but I actually prefer aluminum.

Leonardo
  • Forum posts: 9

May 2, 2014, 2:15:21 AM via App

Plastic works great for me as I normally as a case a you say.

Quality wise, metal is great also but they tend to be heavier.

ahmed mekky
  • Forum posts: 3

May 4, 2014, 9:23:09 PM via App

I go for the sony look ( the glass,plastic and metal mix ) because plastic looks cheap, but I might also think about the htc aluminium

Roy Weinberg
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 8, 2014, 12:55:55 PM via Website

I want to chime in as well on the Aluminum

Oborawatabinost
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 10:03:00 PM via Website

The Kevlar backing on the latest motorola phones is my favorite. This with the metal bad on the droid razr maxx he give it 0 flex, and it is difficult to scratch and I have seen no evidence of cracking. The matte finish they added also means 0 fingerprints. It is by far my favorite backing material and I prefer it to metal backings wholeheartedly.

Haeydr
  • Forum posts: 11

Jun 19, 2014, 11:26:56 AM via Website

I'd go for plastic. Aluminum is nice but scratches VERY easily.

herry prothyer
  • Forum posts: 88

Aug 5, 2014, 9:33:50 AM via Website

According to me aluminum is great material.