Is it possible to check the device previous root status?

• Replies:9
Chaanz
  • Forum posts: 7

May 13, 2014, 8:56:37 AM via Website

Hi all,

I am new to this forum..

I am going to buy a 8 months used Galaxy Note 2.
Now, I want know weather it was rooted previously or not??
current status of the device is unrooted.(verified with available apps)

Is it possible to check device previous root status or root log??
Rooted or not?? How many times rooted?? etc.
if this is possible then how can I do that??
If no, why we cannot check this.

Thanks much for helping...

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 13, 2014, 9:53:22 AM via Website

Well, @Chaanz that's a good question, as far as I know there isn't any method to know how many times the device is rooted or unrooted.

Anyway if there is any method available to know then I would also like to know about it.

Chaanz

May 14, 2014, 7:29:43 AM via Website

Hello... John Farrell,

Thanks for quick response.. Yeah even I am also waiting to know about this.
We are lucky if anyone come up with solution..
:)

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

May 14, 2014, 10:58:06 AM via Website

Hey there Chaanz,

There are two ways to know if your smarpthone was ever modified.

• First off, switch your phone off and turn on in recover mode (volume up+ power button+ home button at the same time until you see recover mode, then remove hands from buttons). When it turns on with the boot logo, if you see a red symbol in the top left corner, this means that your device has been modified.

• Next, if you boot your device in download mode (volume down, power button and home button. Press until the download mode shows up. Once there, press volume up to enter the download mode), it will show you on the top left corner again how many times it has been flashed with new software next to:

Custom Binary Download: Yes (X times)

This will tell you if it has been modified. Hope this helps!

ChaanzLalit

Chaanz

May 15, 2014, 1:15:20 PM via Website

Hi Loie Favre,

Thank you very much for the solution.
Yes, this is really helpful for me.

I am going to try it on Galaxy Note 2 now..
Before that I would like to know "Is it works for all the devices other than Samsung?"
And, I would like to know "Is it displays as red symbol for full unrooted devices (For warranty)?
Sorry, if am giving trouble to you? :(

— modified on May 15, 2014, 1:16:06 PM

Loie Favre

May 15, 2014, 6:04:17 PM via Website

Hey Chaanz,

This should work for other Android devices, but I would just double check the button combination to get into safe and download mode, because not all devices have the same hardware buttons.

As for your second question, I am not really sure what you are asking:

And, I would like to know "Is it displays as red symbol for full unrooted devices (For warranty)?

A red symbol on the top left corner shows that it has been modified. Is that what you mean?

Also, it is no trouble at all! :)

Chaanz

Chaanz

May 16, 2014, 8:29:32 AM via Website

Hi Loie,

Thanks for clarification...

And my question is " Is this process/method works even after unrooting the device for warranty purpose? And even after updating the stock firmware??"

Thanks much for quick response... :)

Loie Favre

May 16, 2014, 11:00:07 AM via Website

Hey Chaanz,

The process is complex with any Samsung device and it also depends on your country. If you live in the USA, the moment you flash something on your device, you have likely nulled the warranty. If you live in Europe and the problem is not related to your system, then the warranty cannot be refused even if you have flashed something. For the rest of the world, I'm too sure. Where do you live?

What you could do is this:
You need to reset your flash counter to zero by using Triangle Away and after reinstall a stock rom.
How to reset your flash counter to zero < This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this.

And flash the original stock ROM from Sammobile.

I hope this helps!

Chaanz

May 16, 2014, 12:08:58 PM via Website

Thanks Loie,

Good to here this.. :)
So, if we unroot and resets the flash counter then there is no way to check the phone ever has been rooted..
Am I correct Loie??? :?

Anyway, Thanks for the solution.:D
Finally, I got to know that if we unroot and reset the flash counter then no trace will left on phone. ()
By the way am from I N D I A
..(*)

— modified on May 16, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

May 16, 2014, 7:01:03 PM via Website

If your running Android 4.3 and onwards then you can't hide if it's been rooted or not due to knox. If you're on 4.2 then it's hideable, after a little work.

Sinkster

Chaanz