WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum's response to iOS 8 iMessage update

• Replies:6
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 3, 2014, 6:05:05 PM via Website

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum's didn't seem to pleased about the recent iMessage announcement. He tweeted “'Very flattering to see Apple "borrow" numerous WhatsApp features into iMessage in iOS 8 #innovation'

I don't know what he is referring to exactly but in this Mashable article they presumed it was the "option to insert audio, video and location information into conversations"

Does anyone know if WhatsApp were even the first messaging platform to implement those features? Because, if not, it seems kind of hypocritical to call them out on innovation.

What do we think of Apple? Are they innovators? Borrowers? Giant tech pirates sailing on a silicon ship?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jun 4, 2014, 6:44:45 AM via Website

hmm... @scott I was looking at your posts and why it gives :devil: me a feel that you are much more attracted towards iOS :? tell you what I was wondering that this section is for Android Rumours and News:angel: and you kinda posting only about iOS not Android. :D :devil: I think soon we might need a iOS thread :?

Scott Adam Gordon

Jun 4, 2014, 9:27:30 AM via Website

That's not a bad idea John :)

People have been talking about the new iOS 8 announcements quite a bit and I'm interested in the community's thoughts ;)

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 4, 2014, 10:41:36 AM via Website

@John, I read a nice post about WWDC by Chris Lacy on Google+ (the developer behind Action Launcher and Link Bubble). It's a very nice summary of what was presented along with his views on it all.

I appreciate the comments about the silly Android backlash against iOS for ''stealing'' Android features. like Android has never stolen anything from iOS. I think as long as everyone keeps improving their devices, we all benefit, whether we use Android or Apple products.

Calling yourself innovative when you are taking someone else's well established ideas is a bit of an issue though (especially when iOS fans will convince themselves that iOS actually invented these features), but all rhetoric aside, it's good for us and that's enough for me.

Now we get to look forward to what Google presents at I/O.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Lalit

Dave
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 4, 2014, 12:02:29 PM via Website

Do the Apple thing, sue!

Scott Adam Gordon

Jun 4, 2014, 12:08:26 PM via Website

Dave

Do the Apple thing, sue!

^this

WhatsApp don't have any claim to voice messaging or video messaging. They don't "own" these features- they are just functions that they have implemented into their own product. I can't see where they find a problem with Apple also using these features.