Top 5 travel apps for Android

• Replies:11
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 4, 2014, 2:48:34 PM via Website

Here's a list of some useful travel apps for this summer:

Gogobot - This travel guide delivers personalized recommendations for places to visit based on user experience. For example, if you're planning a stag party with five friends, you will receive a completely different set of recommendations from those preparing for a family vacation. It recently received a substantial update and is highly regarded in the android community.

Locish - Another travel companion which aims to offer a similar targeted experience as Gogobot, providing specific advice tailored to each user. It also has a feature that let's you ask questions in real time, like "what is the best jazz bar to visit in paris?" where other users can reply straight away.

Nara – A serious app for foodies, Nara offers personalized restaurant recommendations, route guides, and menus, all specific to your tastes.

TripIt - For those constantly making notes of train times and flight schedules, TripIt is for you. TripIt collates information your email inbox to create a convenient itinerary of your travels and also offers weather, maps and directions. It's got a ton of accolades and well worth checking out. (If you're okay with it accessing your email acount!)

Kayak – Travel search engine for hotels, flights and car-hire. It aggregates a whole host of airline and booking companies to ensure the prices are always competitive. I always check this first before booking any flight.

These are just some of my ideas. Anybody else have any?

— modified on Jun 4, 2014, 2:57:45 PM by moderator

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Jun 4, 2014, 3:05:43 PM via Website

Those are really nice!:$

I personally use TripAdvisor on my trips. I really like the fact that you can use them offline, and that there are individual city apps to install. For example, the Prague TripAdvisor app brought me around the entire city, and I was able to see all the most important stuff within one or two days It was great! Here is the catalogue for all the cities: City Guides Catalog

Triposo is also great, we wrote a review about it not too long ago when Kris used it for the Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona.

I'm looking forward to see what others like to use! :*

Brian Lester
  • Forum posts: 18

Jun 10, 2014, 1:05:48 PM via Website

Thanks for sharing the list, will certainly use more apps next time. For now, it's just Google Maps and Tripadvisor (+ some translator apps, if I don't know the language)

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 10, 2014, 2:15:03 PM via Website

Brian Lester

Thanks for sharing the list, will certainly use more apps next time. For now, it's just Google Maps and Tripadvisor (+ some translator apps, if I don't know the language)

Yeah I don't think I could survive without Google Maps :)

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 10, 2014, 2:31:34 PM via Website

Interesting list. I like the idea of the ones that work offline, esp if there is no data connection or you want to avoid roaming charges.

Have used OsmAnd (https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/net.osmand/OsmAnd-Maps-Navigation) quite a lot, also offline, which includes turn-by-turn navigation and lots of Points Of Interest that you can layer at will, eg restaurants-and-cafes-only-plus-tourism, very versatile. Maps are downloaded before you go or via wi-fi when you get there.

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 11, 2014, 6:56:37 PM via Website

Excellent, thanks. Wish I'd seen that earlier. Would have saved a lot of searching!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 131

Jun 22, 2014, 9:24:36 PM via App

Awesome! I'm going on holidays next week so I'll give Gogobot a try.

Abby Gale
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 28, 2014, 11:13:25 AM via Website

I have used tripit and I found it cool. Others, I have not used them.

Tom Barry
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 23, 2014, 1:01:25 PM via Website

Yeah i used some of them above. And the rest i need to download.
In that Mentioned Above 1.Nara and 2.Kayak is noth that good as others(silly) i think, but its okay we can manage with them.

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Oct 23, 2019, 1:54:55 AM via Website

A list from the past. I bet there are newer apps out

Mehwish khan
  • Forum posts: 6

Apr 15, 2020, 5:24:45 PM via Website

Tripmate, the best app so far